2024 US Open - Pinehurst No. 2 (June 13-16)

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Greens are crusty af. I could see someone finishing an hour before the leaders tomorrow and winning. 

I like the sentiment, but let’s break this down.

guys finishing an hour before the leaders are currently 7 or 8 shot back of BDC.

Not gonna happen. At least not without a playoff.

I could see a guy like Tom Kim throwing up a Collin round 3-like 66, but that’s still only -4 in the clubhouse. If he (or Collin for that matter) matches the lowest round of the week (Rory and cantlay’s 65 on Thursday), that’s still only -5 (for reference, Hideki had low round of Friday at 66 with Collin’s 66 today the low score of round 3).

Hard to imagine the winner not coming from BDC, Pavon, Rory, Cantlay, hideki, aberg, hatton or finau.

I think -6 wins this from one of the aforementioned 8 guys above that are under par.

I'm going to hold my nose and say it’s Cantlay. at least we’ll get to see Nikki…hopefully in some sort of skimpy skirt 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of that. I think BD wins if he shoots 71 or better. It becomes a free for all if he comes back to the field. 

Also, Scottie looks like trash this week and the British seems pretty important for him. Gotta start banking some majors. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, BD had to lose this. 71 will take it.

They are making the courses so easy now though,  any scrub can walk away with an Open trophy.  None of them even cried.  

20 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of that. I think BD wins if he shoots 71 or better. It becomes a free for all if he comes back to the field. 

Yeah. I just feel like BDC is good for a double or even triple late on the front 9 or early on the back and then let the fireworks begin 

23 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Also, Scottie looks like trash this week and the British seems pretty important for him. Gotta start banking some majors. 

Idk about that.

but the memorial being his first win outside of Feb, mar or apr was a bit surprising 

The schedule is too jammed packed. I don’t see why you would hold a signature event the week before a major. 

Scheffler said he hadn’t even seen the course at any point until he showed up on Monday. Not surprised he struggled this week considering what his life has looked like since the Masters. 

37 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Am I the only one rooting against Bryson? I hope he fires an 80 today.

Not necessarily rooting for, but wouldn’t be against it.

Rory or bust, at this point.

cantlay (his wife)? No.
Collin? Cool.

Nobody close enough that can fuck off, aside from patty.

Let’s talk about Hatton for a minute. 

You look at him, and expect some backwoods kentucky jargon comin at ya.

Then you get the british version. 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, MrX said:

The schedule is too jammed packed. I don’t see why you would hold a signature event the week before a major. 

Agreed. 

One of the advantages of being a LIV player is the schedule is very light and you can really focus on the majors. 

Of course a disadvantage is you're not playing true competitive golf most of the year and can lose your edge. See Dustin Johnson. 

4 minutes ago, MrX said:

Scheffler said he hadn’t even seen the course at any point until he showed up on Monday. Not surprised he struggled this week considering what his life has looked like since the Masters. 

Not sure if I'm buying that one.  Pinehurst is kind of a known quantity, one way or the other.

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spiethcoaster needs a new coach.

2 bogeys already in 1st 3 holes

He needs a sports psychologist/therapist. Seriously. 

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Haha that was definitely a low point. 

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Definitely.  Two years of struggling can't keep doing the same thing and expect to fix it.

Spieth should try a new start with different coach and possibly psychologist/therapist. 

Too talented to be this terrible for so long.  If his wrist is really bothering him, may need to opt for surgery too...  

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

His YouTube channel has been blowing up with better content than a few years ago. He comes off very likable now

I recently watched YouTube of him beating another player using only a starter set from Wal-Mart 😋

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think scheffler’s problem in Kentucky has lasting issues on his game right now. 2024 is a wasted year for him it seems.

Not sure if I'm buying that one.  Pinehurst is kind of a known quantity, one way or the other.

The usga makes so many changes to a course that it’s hardly recognizable. You gotta focus on it; in some ways it’s more important for your caddy to gather all the intel.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Majors are really all that matter if you’re planning a legacy.

Remember that one time Tiger won 15 majors? 

That parking lot sex was hawt, tho.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He NEEDS to take a long time off and get his wrist right.  The sports psyche could help but dude is hurt and has never given himself the space to fully recover.  

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not a fan of Cantlay, but his even par round yesterday was impressive. Dude was all over the course and scrambled like a boss. I'm not betting on it, but if he's good from tee to green today he could win this. 

Narrator Morgan Freeman: "But he won't."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Might be a 66 available today... seeing more birdie putt attempts on few more holes.

WTH did they flood the greens?  

There should be tears, not fist pumps.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not a fan of Cantlay, but his even par round yesterday was impressive. Dude was all over the course and scrambled like a boss. I'm not betting on it, but if he's good from tee to green today he could win this. 

Yeah I thought the same. He kills me with the foot shuffling. But he made so many impressive pars yesterday to stay in this it was hard not to cheer him on.