2024 US Open - Pinehurst No. 2 (June 13-16)

I’m not convinced BDC’s act of being Arnie reincarnated isn’t just that - an act. He does appear to have turned his perspective around. 

I don’t get this board’s love for Rory and I never have. He insists upon himself. Yeah he was a fierce supporter of the PGA and a great golfer. But he’s not what he once was 10 years ago and he’s a tremendous blowhard. His spat with Cantlay’s caddie that lasted through the night was ridiculous. He’s an ass and the PGA Policy Board didn’t want him back. Declining comment for a guy that runs his mouth constantly was ironic. If there are two guys that’ll make me root for BDC, it’s Rory and Brooks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I’m not convinced BDC’s act of being Arnie reincarnated isn’t just that - an act

Yeah. He’s like Mickelson. In his acceptance speech, he said he went to SMU because of Payne Stewart. I saw something earlier today that said he didn’t even know Stewart went there until he saw his picture hanging in the athletic hall. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Haha 2

Funny thing about a professionals image. I’m part of a group that provides housing in Augusta for golfers who come in for the masters. I also rent it out for coaches who come in for the Nike Jam in North Augusta.

Over the years I have met a lot of these guys. They are not my friends, it’s just business. But, part of the agreement is you must provide certain goods and services over the week. So some contact is inevitable. Very, very few are what you see on TV or in print when you interact with them in person. I would say it’s about the same in any work environment. You got your good ones, and you got your prima-donnas.
Some just surprise the hell out of you.

One example. The Nike group puts on a golf tournament at the River course every year. One time I played a foursome that included Bobby Knight, and Bobby Cremins. Up until that round of golf I knew what everyone else knew about Knights behavior and specifically his temperament. I was absolutely shocked when I saw him in that closed environment away from cameras or people. The guy couldn’t have been more genuine. Great fucking story teller, not a particularly good golfer (great card player however). But, he would answer any questions you threw at him. His language was colorful, but so is mine so that was no problem. My point is what you see from ANY celebrity in a public setting doesn’t really mean much. Some are just better at their PR. I think this week shows that Bryson has improved in that regard since his bravado after winning his first US Open. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

You are correct. I’d say it’s not just celebs but anyone with public or visible positions.

Lots of them I’ve met have seemingly dual personalities. Seems like many of the assholes publicly were nice backstage and vice versa. The most gracious in both places was BB King whom I often visited when he came home to Memphis. The least affected by fame was Chipper and Nipper, the RCA dogs, whom I had for celeb appearances at the stores I operated. They travelled like The Rolling Stones, and were the same dogs at the hotel penthouse vs at the photo event.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Yeah. He’s like Mickelson. In his acceptance speech, he said he went to SMU because of Payne Stewart. I saw something earlier today that said he didn’t even know Stewart went there until he saw his picture hanging in the athletic hall. 

The above two videos make me question my statement. I know Phil has always had a FIGJAM reputation, but he changed for the better when he just started embracing it. With Bryson he seems to have learned how to turn off the switch of taking himself too seriously when his dad died. 

The whole LIV deal - I no longer hold any of these guys in poor regard for doing what they did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, AbeFroman said:

Looked it up, major winners with DFW ties

Jack Burke-Fort Worth
Ben Hogan-Fort Worth
Ralph Guldahl-Dallas
Byron Nelson-Fort Worth
Don January-Dallas
Lee Trevino-Dallas
Mark Brooks-Fort Worth
Lloyd Mangrum-Dallas
Justin Leonard-Dallas
Scottie Scheffler-Dallas
Jordan Spieth-Dallas
Payne Stewart-SMU
Bryson DeChambeau-SMU
Charles Coody-TCU

DFW is Texas golf !

5 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Used to be a 18 hole round on Monday. I remember Nicklaus vs Trevino. Lee threw a rubber snake at Jack and won it from there playing like a Dallas goat track hustler.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0753.jpeg

It was an incredible shot under any circumstances. To pull it off in the US Open has got to put it in the all time top 10. Yeah, he still had to drop the putt. But, you know Rory liked his chances when he saw the level of difficulty. 

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is this legit? I thought he handled it pretty well. If you watch golf you know his take on LIV. But I didn’t think he did poorly. Did I miss some sort of gaffe?

9 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Is this legit? I thought he handled it pretty well. If you watch golf you know his take on LIV. But I didn’t think he did poorly. Did I miss some sort of gaffe?

Not legit.  Notice the “PGATUOR”. It’s a mock account.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

The whole LIV deal - I no longer hold any of these guys in poor regard for doing what they did. 

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Financial security and not having to play that pga schedule is a huge relief 

Some, hell no I don’t fault. Look at HV3 and his charity he runs. I bet that money helped a lot more people. Something like that transcends golf itself, even if golf is the path taken to achieve it. 

But not all of them. Some I would welcome back, some can fuck right off, and the tour is better without them. For example, Fatrick Reed.

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Some, hell no I don’t fault. Look at HV3 and his charity he runs. I bet that money helped a lot more people. Something like that transcends golf itself, even if golf is the path taken to achieve it. 

But not all of them. Some I would welcome back, some can fuck right off, and the tour is better without them. For example, Fatrick Reed.

I hate Patrick Reed, and LIV has nothing to do with it. 

6 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

I agree.  I’m not a huge Brandel fan, but I thought he did ok.  He must have been told to lay off the LIV thing because that’s about all he talks about during his Golf Channel commentary.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I agree.  I’m not a huge Brandel fan, but I thought he did ok.  He must have been told to lay off the LIV thing because that’s about all he talks about during his Golf Channel commentary.  

Brandel was fine I dunno what people's problem is. He kept saying the truth-- Bryson was lucky as fuck for drawing so many great lies in that wire grass shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sergio missed out on getting an exemption into 2025 US Open by a stroke

Also - the Olympic Men's qualifiers are set (top 15 in OWGR, limited to 4 per country - 
I think the only big move this week was Collin passing Cantay for the last Team USA spot

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/golf-in-the-2024-paris-olympics-teams-set-with-scottie-scheffler-xander-schauffele-leading-united-states/

Teams for 2024 Olympic Games

COUNTRY PLAYERS

United States

Scottie Scheffler, Xander Schauffele, Wyndham Clark, Collin Morikawa

Ireland

Rory McIlroy, Shane Lowry

Sweden

Ludvig Åberg, Alex Noren

Norway

Viktor Hovland, Kris Ventura

Spain

Jon Rahm, David Puig

Japan

Hideki Matsuyama, Keita Nakajima

Great Britain

Tommy Fleetwood, Matt Fitzpatrick

France

Matthieu Pavon, Victor Perez

Austria

Sepp Straka

Australia

Jason Day, Min Woo Lee

Canada

Nick Taylor, Corey Conners

South Africa

Christiaan Bezuidenhout, Erik van Rooyen

Germany

Stephan Jaeger, Matti Schmid

Denmark

Nicolai Hojgaard, Thorbjorn Olesen

Belgium

Thomas Detry, Adrien Dumont De Chassart

Argentina

Emiliano Grillo, Alejandro Tosti

New Zealand

Ryan Fox, Daniel Hillier

Poland

Adrian Meronk

Chile

Joaquin Niemann, Cristobal del Solar

Finland

Sami Valimaki

Taiwan

C.T. Pan, Kevin Yu

Netherlands

Joost Luiten, Darius van Driel

China

Carl Yuan, Zecheng Dou

Colombia

Camilo Villegas, Nico Echavarria

Italy

Matteo Manassero, Guido Migliozzi

India

Shubhankar Sharma, Gaganjeet Bhullar

Puerto Rico

Rafael Campos

Mexico

Carlos Ortiz, Abraham Ancer

Thailand

Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Phachara Khongwatmai

Malaysia Gavin Green
Paraguay Fabrizio Zanotti

Here's how the Olympic qualification works:

• Top 15 in the OWGR are eligible
  • No more than four players can be selected from a given nation
  • Outside the top 15, "players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top 15"

As such, representing the United States at the Olympics will be

• Scottie Scheffler (No. 1 OWGR)
  • Xander Schauffele (No. 3)
  • Wyndham Clark (No. 5)
  • Collin Morikawa (No. 7)

Schauffele, the reigning gold medalist from the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, will compete for Team USA alongside Morikawa for the second time. Patrick Cantlay nearly snuck into the final spot but needed a top-two finish at the U.S. Open to qualify; instead, he finished in a tie for third. 

The U.S. team was not the only squad to experience some twists and turns to its roster coming out of the U.S. Open. Canada's final spot remained wide open for much of the competition as Corey Conners, Taylor Pendrith and Adam Hadwin sought to join Nick Taylor. It was ultimately Conners who prevailed and will be rocking the maple leaf in Paris.

Other countries like Ireland have been locked in for a while with Rory McIlroy and Shane Lowry as representatives. Spain saw some movement as well with Jon Rahm leading his nation and fellow LIV Golf member David Puig earning a spot by making the U.S. Open cut on the number and, as such, punching his ticket into the Olympics.

Other stars of the game like Hideki Matsuyama (Japan), Ludvig Åberg (Sweden) and Viktor Hovland (Norway) are set to play in the 60-man competition later this summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Brandel was fine I dunno what people's problem is. He kept saying the truth-- Bryson was lucky as fuck for drawing so many great lies in that wire grass shit.

Maybe, but like his previous US Open win at Winged Foot’s legendary rough. He missed a shit load of fairways on what was supposed to be inescapable rough, but his short game carried him. Specifically his putting.

Afterwards all anyone wanted to talk about was his length off the tee. To the point he started believing that shit and thought he could overpower Augusta. And he got embarrassed because his short game just wasn’t very good during that particular week.

I’ve played golf a long time, I’m assuming you have as well. And I would trade distance with my driver or my irons for a great short game any day. There is a reason the old adage “drive for show, putt for dough” is in the golfing lexicon.