Presumed Innocent - AppleTV, June 12, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ruth Negga

Presumed Innocent is an upcoming, eight-part limited series starring and executive produced by Jake Gyllenhaal, hailing from David E. Kelley and executive producer J.J. Abrams. The star-studded ensemble cast also includes Ruth Negga, Bill Camp, O-T Fagbenle, Chase Infiniti, Nana Mensah, Renate Reinsve, Peter Sarsgaard, Kingston Rumi Southwick and Elizabeth Marvel.

Presumed Innocent will make its global debut on Apple TV+, premiering the first two episodes on Wednesday, June 12 followed by a new episode every Wednesday through July 24. Based on The New York Times bestselling novel of the same name by Scott Turow, the gripping series takes viewers on a journey through the horrific murder that upends the Chicago Prosecuting Attorneys' office when chief deputy prosecutor Rusty Sabich (played by Gyllenhaal) is suspected of the crime.

The series explores obsession, sex, politics, and the power and limits of love, as the accused fights to hold his family and marriage together. Presumed Innocent hails from Bad Robot Productions and David E. Kelley Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Bad Robot is under an overall deal. Abrams and Rachel Rush Rich executive produce for Bad Robot. Kelley serves as showrunner and executive produces through David E. Kelley Productions alongside Matthew Tinker. Dustin Thomason, Sharr White and Gyllenhaal also serve as executive producers. Turow and Miki Johnson wil serve as co-executive producers. Anne Sewitsky serves as executive producer and directs the first two episodes and episode eight, and Emmy Award-winner Greg Yaitanes executive produces and directs episodes three through seven.

• Hook 'Em 1

The twists and turns could make for a great series. There is also a sequel book that could be added as a second season.

What a great cast in the movie. Ford, Scacchi, Brian Dennehy, Raul Julia, Bonnie Bedelia, and a pre West Wing, John Spencer.

Apple TV has some solid series so I have high hopes for this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Spoilered for people who haven't read the book or seen the movie:

Spoiler

IIRC, in the book, the husband knew the whole time that the wife did it. In the movie, he finds out at the end. I'm not sure where they're going with this, but I'd wager on a book ending at this point. Rusty said something to his wife like "At some point you have to take ownership for what you've done." 

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

The wife is total miscast. 

she seems way too old for Jake G.  

My theory:

Spoiler

It's Peter S.  He's the guy she's having trouble with at work.  He's somehow mixed up in the 2nd DNA sample scandal and he killed the assistant DA to cover it up and frame his enemy. It has to be someone with intimate knowledge of the Bunny case.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

Spoilered for people who haven't read the book or seen the movie:

Reveal hidden contents

IIRC, in the book, the husband knew the whole time that the wife did it. In the movie, he finds out at the end. I'm not sure where they're going with this, but I'd wager on a book ending at this point. Rusty said something to his wife like "At some point you have to take ownership for what you've done." 

Spoiler

The brilliance of the book is that you don't know for sure even though the whole narration is from his POV. On the final page, you're convinced one way or another about 4 times before resolution. It's one of the best narrative strategies that I've ever read. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 3:15 PM, bschoolprof said:

she seems way too old for Jake G.  

My theory:

Reveal hidden contents

It's Peter S.  He's the guy she's having trouble with at work.  He's somehow mixed up in the 2nd DNA sample scandal and he killed the assistant DA to cover it up and frame his enemy. It has to be someone with intimate knowledge of the Bunny case.  

Eh? Ruth Negga is technically younger. They're the exact same age.

Rusty seriously stresses me out, doing the exact wrong thing at every turn! Jake is doing a great job at relaying the panic and desperation of being in that position, and Skarsgard is doing a great job relaying creepy obsession. every episode has been stressful! 

so many red herrings...

I predicted Skarsgard as the killer earlier, speculating he was the guy at work that Pulanis was scared of.  But now that they actually showed a scene confirming my suspicions, I am doubting that prediction - it seems too obvious now.  

• Like 1

I’m thinking they go different than the movie…so maybe all of these are red herrings so far. But I liked Tommy for it until they maybe focused too much on that angle. He would know the rope tie from Bunny as would others in the office but not enough to get it exactly right. I believe I’ve read binding murders using complex knots are precise like fingerprints. But they overplayed it.

Rusty is being irritatingly stupid and bullheaded. Point all the spotlights on me!

On 7/3/2024 at 11:13 AM, bschoolprof said:

I predicted Skarsgard as the killer earlier, speculating he was the guy at work that Pulanis was scared of.  But now that they actually showed a scene confirming my suspicions, I am doubting that prediction - it seems too obvious now.  

me too...i was convinced but now I'm like hmmm 🤔

also...yes, Rusty is literally making every wrong he can lol

I think it will be a surprise suspect that comes in late. The precise binding in the killing though limits them though. That kind of rope work requires skill and lots of practice.

We know nothing about the victim’s prior life other than she has an ex husband and a fucked up teenage son she has little contact with. The ex might have motive.

She had kinks. Did she consent to being bound like Bunny and then was murdered? Have they said if the binding was pre or post mortem?

My current suspect: the prosecutor who is secretly in love with Rusty who knew of the relationship and is being forced to testify.

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

I think it will be a surprise suspect that comes in late. The precise binding in the killing though limits them though. That kind of rope work requires skill and lots of practice.

We know nothing about the victim’s prior life other than she has an ex husband and a fucked up teenage son she has little contact with. The ex might have motive.

She had kinks. Did she consent to being bound like Bunny and then was murdered? Have they said if the binding was pre or post mortem?

My current suspect: the prosecutor who is secretly in love with Rusty who knew of the relationship and is being forced to testify.

It didn’t hit me until the last episode, but I know who the killer is:

Spoiler

It’s Raymond, Rusty’s defense attorney. He’s having nightmares about the crime despite not being there. His wife keeps telling him it’s because he “knows the truth”. Pretty clever setup but I finally picked up on it.

Could be. I don’t know that speculation needs a spoiler tag. At this point it could be anyone we’ve seen or not visible yet.
Shit the biggest twist against the movie could be that Rusty actually tied her up and stabbed her.

5 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Could be. I don’t know that speculation needs a spoiler tag. At this point it could be anyone we’ve seen or not visible yet.
Shit the biggest twist against the movie could be that Rusty actually tied her up and stabbed her.

That was essentially the "twist" in that HBO miniseries with Hugh Grant that most have very nearly forgotten about, also by David E Kelley.  The creepy dude that's maybe falsely accused did it all along.  Not a great twist IMO.  

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It didn’t hit me until the last episode, but I know who the killer is:

Reveal hidden contents

It’s Raymond, Rusty’s defense attorney. He’s having nightmares about the crime despite not being there. His wife keeps telling him it’s because he “knows the truth”. Pretty clever setup but I finally picked up on it.

I thought about this too.  Also:

Spoiler

in the original movie, it was revealed that Raymond (and the judge!) had affairs with the dead woman in the past.  She got around.  So that gives maybe some motive.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 10:03 AM, mchookem said:

and Skarsgard is doing a great job relaying creepy obsession.

so did peter sarsgaard go to the hair salon before filming and say, "give me the joker"?  because if so, they nailed it.

Edited by henrygandorf