Presumed Innocent - AppleTV, June 12, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ruth Negga

i've actually thought Carolyn is not nearly attractive enough to be as captivating as she supposedly was. the actress is...kinda mousy. stringy hair. weird accent. 

she's been giving

image.png.0173dcebdf08d3af5d67a89c0eb0817e.png

i've actually thought Carolyn is not nearly attractive enough to be as captivating as she supposedly was. the actress is...kinda mousy. stringy hair. weird accent. 
she's been giving
image.png.0173dcebdf08d3af5d67a89c0eb0817e.png

She is from Norway. I guess the American actresses wanted more of the job than being nekkid 95% of the time

18 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This show is 50% great (court room stuff) and 50% terrible (family stuff). I’m still watching to the end 

The scene where Rusty got all self-righteous about his wife kissing (gasp) another man was just stupid. Motherfucker carries on a multiple year affair with a coworker, is smack dab in the middle of a murder trial over her death, and has the audacity to not only get indignant over his wife's revelation, but also lay hands on her? He's damn lucky that she didn't just shoot his ass right there. 

Although I don't think Molto killed her, I do think he's the one who tied her up post-mortem. I'm going to say that it was Rusty's son who killed her with the "thin heavy object" (baseball bat?), and his motive will be that he was pissed that dad was cheating on mom. Again. 

The scene where Rusty got all self-righteous about his wife kissing (gasp) another man was just stupid. Motherfucker carries on a multiple year affair with a coworker, is smack dab in the middle of a murder trial over her death, and has the audacity to not only get indignant over his wife's revelation, but also lay hands on her? He's damn lucky that she didn't just shoot his ass right there. 
Although I don't think Molto killed her, I do think he's the one who tied her up post-mortem. I'm going to say that it was Rusty's son who killed her with the "thin heavy object" (baseball bat?), and his motive will be that he was pissed that dad was cheating on mom. Again. 

He should be more concerned that she’s day drinking. I thought the kiss reveal was stupid as well. Rusty and Raymond’s wife both asked for us, why did you tell me this now? The reaction was just bad writing. A kiss? I was obsessively stalking my coworker and fucking her forever, impregnated her, might have murdered her and you pay me back by kissing the bartender?!?! I thought for a minute she wanted to see if he would break and reveal the rage to kill.

Was Carolyn bound up in the book/movie? It’s the primary clue imo. We know it’s almost identical to Bunny’s bindings but different enough to indicate a different murderer. But with knowledge of those bindings. Have they said if the bindings were pre or postmortem?

I’m with you thinking someone bound her and another stabbed her. Her son to me is as much a possibility as Rusty’s. He had been abandoned by her, was obsessively filming her, and obviously was upset by her fucking and giving other men attention and him zero.

On 7/10/2024 at 8:28 PM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

This show is 50% great (court room stuff) and 50% terrible (family stuff). I’m still watching to the end 

Yep. We were fast forwarding last week's or whenever the wife was doing the endless therapy session. Boring.

Same with the kids getting all mopey. Which is a bit unreal that everyone isn't more furious with this dude for cheating, lying, cheating again, fucking up, going apeshit ragey, etc.

But legal and intrigue stuff and the good cliffhangers keep it going.

21 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Yep. We were fast forwarding last week's or whenever the wife was doing the endless therapy session. Boring.

Random question. Is this something that people do? Fast forward through portions of tv shows? I've never done that in my life. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Random question. Is this something that people do? Fast forward through portions of tv shows? I've never done that in my life. 

I usually don't. That episode just dragged and bored us.

And by us I mean the wife.

So yes, people do.

Just now, gofuckyourself said:

I usually don't. That episode just dragged and bored us.

And by us I mean the wife.

So yes, people do.

Interesting. If I found myself wanting to fast forward through a 38 minute tv show I'd probably bail entirely. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yes. Almost every AJ scene in The Sopranos. You are missing absolutely nothing. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I’d like an opinion from the barristers here. How realistic were the two court scenes I found flawed as a layman? Would the judge have allowed the exchanges between her son and Rusty? “You killed my mother !” Over and over? And the final testimony had so much speculation, commentary, etc I thought the judge would step in.

6 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

I’d like an opinion from the barristers here. How realistic were the two court scenes I found flawed as a layman? Would the judge have allowed the exchanges between her son and Rusty? “You killed my mother !” Over and over? And the final testimony had so much speculation, commentary, etc I thought the judge would step in.

Totally depends on the judge. Wide variations in how they run their courtroom and trials.

On 6/29/2024 at 9:08 AM, Red Five said:

I just want to say that I love Bill Camp. He's great in everything.

He's married to the woman playing is wife, Elizabeth Marvel. They're both great supporting actors. Seems like Marvel Camp both started appearing in more movies and TV maybe a dozen years ago. 

As for the show, I don't think the latest episode got much done. I'm getting a little tired of all the one-shots of Rusty anguishing. Gyllenhall is a terrific actor, but that's asking too much.

I do like how the trial is going. I'd like to spend more time with the lawyers and in that room.

I'm wondering if David Kelly is going to go all the way off course from the book and have a surprise ending. That's pretty good strategizing as a writer to make someone familiar with the source material wonder if they know what's going to happen next.

In The Shining, Kubrick pulls such a trick with Scatman's fate. 

No way this needed to be an 8 episode series.  They could have easily covered most of the important ground in 3 or 4 episodes or, I don't know, a 2 hour movie.  There's a lot to be said for great editing and the essential elements of storytelling.  

• Hook 'Em 1

No way this needed to be an 8 episode series.  They could have easily covered most of the important ground in 3 or 4 episodes or, I don't know, a 2 hour movie.  There's a lot to be said for great editing and the essential elements of storytelling.  

No shit. Or come up with some additional complexity to the story instead of endless flashbacks or bad dreams of Rusty fucking Carolyn. The heart event for Raymond was a silly contrivance to get Rusty to be his own attorney and then expose himself. Or some more pained looks from Barbara. I’m glad it’s hopefully a wrap next week.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yep. There’s a reason why the book was adapted into a 2 hour movie:

But… David E. Kelly isn’t hanging out for an Apple movie or limited series. He wants 20 episodes. Which it appears he will get. 

Spoiler

The wife needs to have done it or they wasted ahorribly unlikeable character. Applause on the Malto red herring. Perfect actor to pull it off. Stay faithful to the source material in Season 1. And do something different in Season 2. 

Posted (edited)

While Ruth Negga had no business being on this show, her fight with Rusty was brutally honest. 

The cheating husband can’t handle his wife kissing another guy. Years and years of hypocrisy. And it feels like she lost the argument? I don’t get it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed. I also dont think she was a fit for this storyline and I don’t like how she’s been written. Or the kids. Maybe that’s the point to show Rusty’s separate life but it seem like the kids and Barb are connected and Rusty is an outlier.

Barb and the kids having to see and hear about his obsession with Carolyn, his impregnation of her, his willingness to leave them, and continual flood of lies would surely cause more conflict at home than we’re seeing. Having to bear witness to that publicly you’d think they’d just murder him. At least banish him to the cabana.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

While Ruth Negga had no business being on this show, her fight with Rusty was brutally honest. 

The cheating husband can’t handle his wife kissing another guy. Years and years of hypocrisy. And it feels like she lost the argument? I don’t get it. 

She is the killer. 

• Haha 1

I started this series with high interest. Both the book and the movie were damn near perfect. Then I realized they had edited out the best character, Sandy Stern, who was the defense lawyer. Disappointing.

Now they have jumped the shark with the legal stuff. Former D.A. whose office was involved in the investigation appearing as defense counsel?  A criminal defendant being called to testify by the prosecutor and the Judge allowing it? Video exhibits played without prior disclosure? A lawyer withdrawing in mid-trial?

Given all of the plot and character changes, I am pretty sure the ending will also be different. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. There’s a reason why the book was adapted into a 2 hour movie:

But… David E. Kelly isn’t hanging out for an Apple movie or limited series. He wants 20 episodes. Which it appears he will get. 

Reveal hidden contents

The wife needs to have done it or they wasted ahorribly unlikeable character. Applause on the Malto red herring. Perfect actor to pull it off. Stay faithful to the source material in Season 1. And do something different in Season 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Not sure how much of this really is a spoiler, but just in case.  I assumed this would be a remake and follow closely to the book story line.  I’m through the episode that ended in Horgan’s heart attack.  They’ve gone way away from the book.  Polhemus, at least so far, isn’t the tramp that she was in the book.  She was sleeping with everyone in the book and movie.  She was pregnant here, but in the book/movie her tubes were tied and that was a big deal in the trial.  Sandy Stern is very much missed but maybe now he takes over.  I have a couple of suspects but I’m not sure how David Kelley ends this new story.  And I agree with most of the posters that Barbara is tough to watch.  

24 minutes ago, Bbonds said:

Something is up Apple TV. It was showing the final episode drops tomorrow but I just watched it. You guys will enjoy the ending.

Yeah it was coming up at 8 pm the night before all along. Just finished it. 

A little twist from the book and movie but still good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So just finished it. Somewhat disappointed. Who leaves a side door open in Chicago?

Anyway, a question for the barristers. In case of acquittal, would Rusty be disbarred for the actions he took when he headed the investigation of concealing and withholding evidence and information?

Enjoyed following this show. Thought we saw some great acting from the supporting cast. Definitely some courtroom shenanigans that were not remotely realistic. Also, the twist at the end was a bit much and was not preceded by any meaningful setup.