Countdown to 2024 Texas Longhorn Football - SEC now with more cowbell!

I was there lined up with the side of the goalpost, that ball was moving backwards when it crossed the goalpost …..

I was there with my Dad, sitting in the North EZ. I had to be at work, as a college student, but prior military person hired asap, as a Williamson CO corrections officer. Clothes/uniform in my truck and waited on Phil’s kick. Loved listening to the post-game radio on the way to work and changing in the parking lot!

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was there lined up with the side of the goalpost, that ball was moving backwards when it crossed the goalpost …..

That Dawson kick seemed to touch the stratosphere, pause and then somehow made it across the crossbar, from 50 yards out.

There have been longer game-winning kicks. But very few were as surreal at that one.

image.thumb.png.932720b0089796baa48e2e9cabd31b1e.png

image.thumb.png.51f33e826f185915476cc283b34f442c.png

tyallert_original.jpg?1298343585

2019 article:  One of the best linebackers in Longhorns history, Ty Allert earned his place in history by being a stalwart on defense from 1982 – 1984. Allert totaled 107 solo tackles in 1984, which is fourth all-time for a Texas player. He followed that up with a 10.5 sack season one year later, in 1985. Allert’s 287 career solo tackles put him at third on the all-time list.

• Hook 'Em 4

Gib Dawson leading the team onto the field for the 1953 Cotton Bowl vs. Tennessee. In the first televised Cotton Bowl, he scored a second quarter touchdown on a 9 yard run in a 16-0 shutout. Those uniforms back then... we looked like Syracuse! lol 
In 1951 he became the only Texas player ever to lead the Longhorns in five different offensive categories in the same season. He was twice all-conference and a 1984 inductee in the Longhorn Hall of Honor.

upload_2021-7-19_6-46-18-jpeg.5210

• Hook 'Em 4

Love Rosie Day 🤘

59cd096acd896.image.jpg?resize=1200,1026

Roosevelt Leaks

Position: Running Back
Years: 1972-1974
Place of Birth: Brenham, TX
Date of Birth: Jan 31, 1953
Jersey Number: 46
Height: 5-11
Weight: 220
High School: Brenham, TX (Brenham HS)

The first African American Texas Longhorns player to earn All-America honors, Roosevelt Leaks powered his way for 2,923 yards and 26 touchdowns in just three seasons. A consensus All-America selection in 1973, Leaks finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting. His bid for three consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons was derailed when he suffered a serious knee injury in his senior season. Leaks recovered to play nine seasons in the NFL with the Baltimore Colts (1975-79) and Buffalo Bills (1980-83). Today, Leaks hosts an annual charity golf tournament for children in East Austin, Texas. In 2003, he became the first recipient of the Living Legends Award presented by the Ministry of Challenge.

download.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

46 days until Texas Football:  Roosevelt Leaks, a Longhorn Trailblazer 🤘

by:Joe Cook

Today is 46 days until kickoff. 

Today, we’ll look back at Roosevelt Leaks, a Longhorn legend who wore No. 46.

Roosevelt Leaks, a pivotal figure in UT football history

The Texas Longhorns were 26-8 when Leaks was part of the program. A standout from Brenham (Texas), Leaks’ first season in 1972 included a 230-carry, 1099-yard, eight-touchdown campaign.

He followed that up with an even better year in 1973, finishing third in Heisman Trophy voting behind Ohio State offensive lineman John Hicks, who was the runner up, and running back John Cappelletti, the winner representing Penn State. Leaks rushed 229 times for 1415 yards and 14 touchdowns, figures that lead the Southwest Conference and earned him consensus first-team All-America Honors. Leaks was the first African-American All-American produced by the Longhorn football program.

Injury hampered his 1974 season. Leaks was able to rush 96 times for 409 yards and four touchdowns in 1974, but his 1972 and 1973 success paved the way for one of the best Longhorns to ever wear burnt orange to follow in his footsteps.

Earl Campbell saw Leaks’ success at Texas following the integration of the football program, and it was one of the many factors that led to the Tyler Rose selecting Darrell Royal’s program. Leaks and Campbell even shared a backfield in 1974, a season where Campbell led the team in rushing as a freshman with 928 yards.

Leaks was drafted by the Baltimore Colts in 1975, and he enjoyed a nine-year NFL career with Baltimore and Buffalo.

Leaks was one of the best to tote the rock for the Longhorns, eventually joining the University of Texas Hall of Honor in 1985. He is an important figure in Longhorn history, not only for his on-field exploits between the lines, but also his achievements outside of them. 

342 yards SWC single game rushing record

Roosevelt 'Rosey' Leaks' Groundbreaking Game in '73 - This Forgotten Day in Longhorns Football

Off the field, his teammates called him

"Sugar Bear"

image.png.5ea822d54e140e2cce28a10bb1f42627.png

image.png.28557c4d9c0634e17d8efa55a4059fe7.png

• Hook 'Em 9

On 7/16/2024 at 1:19 AM, LTtxfan said:

46 days until Texas Football:  Roosevelt Leaks, a Longhorn Trailblazer 🤘

by:Joe Cook

Today is 46 days until kickoff. 

Today, we’ll look back at Roosevelt Leaks, a Longhorn legend who wore No. 46.

Roosevelt Leaks, a pivotal figure in UT football history

The Texas Longhorns were 26-8 when Leaks was part of the program. A standout from Brenham (Texas), Leaks’ first season in 1972 included a 230-carry, 1099-yard, eight-touchdown campaign.

He followed that up with an even better year in 1973, finishing third in Heisman Trophy voting behind Ohio State offensive lineman John Hicks, who was the runner up, and running back John Cappelletti, the winner representing Penn State. Leaks rushed 229 times for 1415 yards and 14 touchdowns, figures that lead the Southwest Conference and earned him consensus first-team All-America Honors. Leaks was the first African-American All-American produced by the Longhorn football program.

Injury hampered his 1974 season. Leaks was able to rush 96 times for 409 yards and four touchdowns in 1974, but his 1972 and 1973 success paved the way for one of the best Longhorns to ever wear burnt orange to follow in his footsteps.

Earl Campbell saw Leaks’ success at Texas following the integration of the football program, and it was one of the many factors that led to the Tyler Rose selecting Darrell Royal’s program. Leaks and Campbell even shared a backfield in 1974, a season where Campbell led the team in rushing as a freshman with 928 yards.

Leaks was drafted by the Baltimore Colts in 1975, and he enjoyed a nine-year NFL career with Baltimore and Buffalo.

Leaks was one of the best to tote the rock for the Longhorns, eventually joining the University of Texas Hall of Honor in 1985. He is an important figure in Longhorn history, not only for his on-field exploits between the lines, but also his achievements outside of them. 

342 yards SWC single game rushing record

Roosevelt 'Rosey' Leaks' Groundbreaking Game in '73 - This Forgotten Day in Longhorns Football

Off the field, his teammates called him

"Sugar Bear"

image.png.5ea822d54e140e2cce28a10bb1f42627.png

image.png.28557c4d9c0634e17d8efa55a4059fe7.png

I’ve told this story on shag before and I’m telling it again. When Leaks was at Texas he came and visited my elementary school in Austin. As an elementary school kid, he looked HUGE.  It’s a day I’ll never forget.

Some 40 years later I ran into him at the Cotton Bowl during Texas OU. We had a good laugh about our first meeting. I looked him in the eyes, and maybe had a half inch on him in height. I’m 5’9”. 

He was my first Longhorn idol growing up.  He was nice enough to sign an autograph  image.thumb.jpeg.80c7f485ec8c668110391291ab30a376.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1