2024 Roland-Garros

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Still can’t believe that Danielle Collins lost, but her opponent was reading off some “shot of her life!” shots from the 2nd set on.

Her opponent Danilovic just beat Vekic in a three hour match tiebreaker. Amazing match. Got a little dusty watching her in tears at the end.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

Which was…?

Oh. my bad. I worded that poorly. 

She was #4 in the world. Weird to see her languishing and losing to clearly lesser players. I know it happens, but her drop and struggles seem...strange. 

1 minute ago, Welshy said:

Oh. my bad. I worded that poorly. 

She was #4 in the world. Weird to see her languishing and losing to clearly lesser players. I know it happens, but her drop and struggles seem...strange. 

Kenin has been making her way back from her appendicitis and then her team had her ditch her father as a coach and she dropped to 150-250 in the world. She’s now solidly in the Top 50 and has been playing well. 

But Tauson on her day can hit with Rybakina & Sabalenka and absolutely blow Iga off the court. 

Tauson is a 6 foot Dane who got 74% of her 1st serves in. Like Ostapenko, if you catch her on a heater, you’re fucked. She just rarely is on a heater and/or can sustain it for a full match. 

Kenin got 76% of her first serves in and she’s a sneaky good server. Tauson must have been crushing it today. 

*NOTE: Kenin did have 8 double faults, but that was likely because Tauson was absolutely tee-ing off on her 2nd serves. 

I'm not saying Tauson is dogshit, but her WTA ranking is 72 with a high of 30 something. That's a far cry from Kennin's high of #4. Also not in the same stratosphere as Rybakina and Sabalenka. 

I watched the match and Tauson did not blow Kenin off the court. Kenin had BP or Gp in 6/8 games in the first set. It was weird. She had 40 unforced errors and 8 double faults. Kennin lost, Tauson didn't overpower her.

I did not know she had appendicitis, though I suspected her pops got the boot. It was just discordant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Welshy said:

I'm not saying Tauson is dogshit, but her WTA ranking is 72 with a high of 30 something. That's a far cry from Kennin's high of #4. Also not in the same stratosphere as Rybakina and Sabalenka. 

I watched the match and Tauson did not blow Kenin off the court. Kenin had BP or Gp in 6/8 games in the first set. It was weird. She had 40 unforced errors and 8 double faults. Kennin lost, Tauson didn't overpower her.

I did not know she had appendicitis, though I suspected her pops got the boot. It was just discordant.

Her father’s return has corresponded with her rise from Bolivia back into the Top 50.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Welshy said:

This Zherev/Griekspoor match is insane. Thought Zherev was cooked. 3:45 in 4-4 in 5th.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Can't remember a match when an umpire had to come out of the chair at least once a game to check a mark.  

Damn, I went to Home Depot and Griek was up like 4-1.  That's going to sting for a while.

32 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

joker and his serbian donkey cheese at it again. he just has so much stamina. unreal. 

Novak paced himself from the first game. He takes as much time as possible with the serve clock and even more on 2nd serves.

He is the most deliberate player on tour and it drives me nuts, but it is very smart.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ha, Iga was a 40-minute double bagel. Potato won 10 pts more than I. 

The fat lady from The Tennis Podcast loves to whine about women’s matches not being chosen for the stand alone night match at Roland Garros that started about a year or two ago.

How can you expect to sell expensive tickets for a single night match when the match could go 40 minutes as easily as it could go 2 hours?

And these are the same whiners who think that a “Best 2 out of 3 Bracket” should receive the same prize money as a “Best 3 out of 5 Bracket”, which is insane, but actually exists at all 4 grand slams. 

The longest women’s match today took 95 minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Novak acting like Neymar (Jr.).

He won the first set handily and now he’s already had a trainer come out in the second set. 

Novak slaps the ball so much due to being on the baseline or a step inside of it so much and yet opponents rarely can figure out how to attack that. It is annoying for the hater in me. 

Joker drops the second set to Cerundolo.  I'm not expecting an upset, but I wonder if Joker is going to spend too much time on the court in the early rounds.  He spent almost 4 1/2 hours last round and should hit 3 1/2 this round (possibly more).    

2 hours ago, ark_longhorn said:

I may be eating those words about an upset.  Cerundolo gets an early break and races out to a 3-0 lead in the 3rd.

Cerundolo could have won this match already if he had a higher IQ. 

He’s not a fast learner. 

4 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Damn, Novak pulls out of the French because of the knee injury.

I just saw that. If I were he I would give a good shot at Wimbledon and the US Open and then retire. He has nothing to prove. These injuries are not going to stop. At 37-years old it's time.

4 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Damn, Novak pulls out of the French because of the knee injury.

He was so fucking ripe for the taking yesterday and my fellow Argentine (Cerundolo) was too unsure of whether he was allowed to take him.

He should regret this for the rest of his life. Novak was still #1, is the all-time Grand Slam leader, and was the reigning champion. Toppling this giant in this position will never come again. 

On Monday, Jannik Sinner will be the new #1 player in the ATP’s rankings and Novak will never be the #1 player in the world and reigning champion of a major* again. 

*…unless Novak wins Wimbledon and somehow retakes the #1 spot… and then a player would have to be lucky enough to draw Novak early enough at the US Open to be in line to take him down, if he even enters the draw. 

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fucking slim without the other men’s match. Handle business, Elena & Aryna.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Fucking ouch. 

😂

I didn’t see the action, but wow!  

That really unbelievable!

I think that Aryna Sabalenka is the best women’s tennis player in the game by a fair margin, but sometimes her head gets in the way and she beats herself. 

I thought that Iva was going to lose this year, because one of the. IG hitters was going to knock her off the court. Then Sabalenka & Rybakina go down the same day!