2024 Roland-Garros

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Supposedly Aryna was either real sick or injured, depending on who you believe. Haven't fired up any highlights yet. 

The Tennis Podcast peeps said that Sabalenka was definitely ill. Took pills (“tablets” is the preferred tennis term) 2 different times during the match. Had no legs. 

Andreeva got 39% of 1st serve in during the 1st set and still won. Supposedly it was somewhat painful to watch. And the play level wasn’t that great. 

They also mentioned that Rybakina has a history of poor sleep and sometimes can’t sleep for two days at a time when playing two week tournaments. 

They mentioned that she looked tired on the court and really looked like shit in her press conference afterwards. I’m watching the Paolini vs Rybakina replay right now. It is really difficult to root against Paolini.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I like Paolini too, but the problem is Iga will absolutely slaughter her if that’s the final. Could be less than an hour.

Iga v. Coco at 8 am. 

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Iga is going to send Paolini to the bakery in the finals 

Doubt that Paolini can be worse than Gauff.

Paolini doesn’t have much of a serve, but she also doesn’t have a wing that people hammer on every point until it breaks down. 

Gauff is a complete fraud against steady quality, yet she may move to #2 in the world after this tournament because she advanced farther than Sabalenka. (Not sure what the specifics are.

Would expect Paulini to beat Coco at this point in their careers.

IMG_6041.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

Posted (edited)

Surprised how long Iga vs Coco took. Must have been a lot of longer rallies and deuce games. 

IMG_6042.thumb.jpeg.9afcc8ba6b1dfcdf47b2241081430957.jpeg

Usually 6-2, 6-4 is closer to 1 hr 15 minutes rather than 1 hr 37 minutes.

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Napoleon

On 6/3/2024 at 10:15 AM, Napoleon said:

Novak acting like Neymar (Jr.).

He won the first set handily and now he’s already had a trainer come out in the second set. 

Novak slaps the ball so much due to being on the baseline or a step inside of it so much and yet opponents rarely can figure out how to attack that. It is annoying for the hater in me. 

You're an idiot. Worse, you don't own your ridiculous statements. 

"He won the first set handily and now he’s already had a trainer come out in the second set."

- turns out a torn meniscus can effect a professional athlete. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before, but I'm pretty confident you're a moron. 

Post less. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Alcaraz VS Zeverev in the men’s final.

Alcaraz looked ok today, but if Zeverev’s serve is rocking, I can see him winning it.

Z. owns the head to head. Still, I don't see Alcaraz losing this, much as I'd like to see Zverev finally get "his" after that terrible ankle against Nadal. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Welshy said:

You're an idiot. Worse, you don't own your ridiculous statements. 

"He won the first set handily and now he’s already had a trainer come out in the second set."

- turns out a torn meniscus can effect a professional athlete. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before, but I'm pretty confident you're a moron. 

Post less. 

7 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Z. owns the head to head. Still, I don't see Alcaraz losing this, much as I'd like to see Zverev finally get "his" after that terrible ankle against Nadal. 

I normally don’t dock points for whiny bitch statements, but when they come from people with fewer than 1,000 good guy points, I feel it’s my duty. 

Post less, or find a new message board.

image.thumb.jpeg.e46cbece75f852a011c01651326a93c2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

I normally don’t dock points for whiny bitch statements, but when they come from people with fewer than 1,000 good guy points, I feel it’s my duty. 

Post less, or find a new message board.

image.thumb.jpeg.e46cbece75f852a011c01651326a93c2.jpeg

Ok pal. 

Posted (edited)

It has already become obvious that Paolini’s backhand will be her downfall. 

She can hang on the forehand side, but her backhand just sets Iga up to control the court. 

That said, Iga seems to be nervous because she is spraying points wide here at the end of the 2nd game and start of the 3rd.

Edited by Napoleon

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

6-2, 6-1 final

Very impressive.

You can’t have a weak wing against Iga, especially on clay. Once Iga determined that Jasmine had a weak backhand, the match was over. That happened within the first 4 games, because by early in the 4th game, Iga was done messing around. 

Iga also helped Jasmine in the 2nd & 3rd games with unforced errors flying long,  because she was nervous and/or calibrating her swings.

I’m just glad that she didn’t get bageled either set. 

Also, this tournament showed how far Naomi has come on clay. She had Iga in straight sets and then Shay the bed. This wouldn’t seem strange at the US Open or the Australian Open, but on clay this was totally unexpected.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Naomi win on a hard court after the Olympics and then win the US Open or the Australian Open again, provided she doesn’t have another mental breakdown and that she keep from getting fat like she did long before she was pregnant.

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The guy’s final was just awesome tennis. The 4th & 5th sets were an amazing display by the kid. So impressive.

Yeah. He had too much. zverev did get screwed a bit in 5th set. Down break. Had a break point and Alcaraz doubled, but the umpire came down and overruled and called it in. Tough to bounce back from that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Indomitable said:

Yeah. He had too much. zverev did get screwed a bit in 5th set. Down break. Had a break point and Alcaraz doubled, but the umpire came down and overruled and called it in. Tough to bounce back from that. 

I would think that remaining down a break led Zverev to do things that ultimately broke his will. 

Using humans to determine whether the ball was in or out, whether the pitch was a ball or strike (baseball), whether the ball crossed the line for a first down/ touchdown (football) is just stupid. The players deserve better.

• Hook 'Em 1