2024 NCAA Regionals

Horny Bull

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

First time following road to Omaha? Power 5 schools are virtually never 4 seeds, that’s reserved for auto q’s from shit conferences. 

I’m a secondary gator fan but the team did absolutely nothing this year to warrant a spot in the tourney. Point taken about the #4 seed

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Just call the fuckers USL, they’ll like that, as that was their name when I finished at the little school 50 miles to the West. Any school that changes their name has an identity crisis. Ahem, San Marcos.

Go to Hell USL, go to Hell!

Hook’em!!!

This.  I still call the southwestern louisiana because it's funnier when you reference the aggy loss to them as USL.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, MirrOlure said:

I’m confused. I thought that was their name. University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

ULaLa for short

They switched it within the last few years. The actual academic institution may still go by Lafayette because when I went to the university's main website it still says University of Louisiana at Lafayette but I believe almost all the sports programs if not all have dropped the Lafayette. No idea why

Well OK.

So as a SETX lifer I recall very well when they proposed to change from USL to The University of Louisiana.

LSU pitched a fit and the politicos mandated that “Lafayette” be in the official name (same for Monroe).

I guess the LSU power brokers finally realized nobody gives a shit or maybe they’re walking the edge of the line with marketing as University of Louisiana.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

What can we read into no camera on the team? Pierce is toast. 

I'd say toast, way to much excitement for a regional berth

Edited by chase25

Well OK.

So as a SETX lifer I recall very well when they proposed to change from USL to The University of Louisiana.

LSU pitched a fit and the politicos mandated that “Lafayette” be in the official name (same for Monroe).

I guess the LSU power brokers finally realized nobody gives a shit or maybe they’re walking the edge of the line with marketing as University of Louisiana.

Yes - LA politicians (LSU alumni) mandated that they had to hyphenate Lafayette, just like Monroe that changed a year or so later.

Hook’em!!!

Posted (edited)

I’m just glad we don’t have ORU or DBU in Stillwater for once. UF seems like a weak 3 but definitely the type of matchup that can disappoint for us. Nebby just won the BIG tourney, not gonna be easy. I hope they beat up on each other and wear out some arms and that we can handle Niagara with our bullpen, but we’ve been burned before with that strategy. Looking forward to it either way. And fuck ou.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, chase25 said:

Seemed tepid to me which is either the no dogpile approach or the lethargic approach. I’m going with the no dogpike view until the 52 out and two losses are booked. Omaha here we come baby!! 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 'stache said:

I’m just glad we don’t have ORU or DBU in Stillwater for once. UF seems like a weak 3 but definitely the type of matchup that can disappoint for us. Nebby just won the BIG tourney, not gonna be easy. I hope they beat up on each other and wear out some arms and that we can handle Niagara with our bullpen, but we’ve been burned before with that strategy. Looking forward to it either way. And fuck ou.

I’m no Strategy nut, but I bet we stick with the rotation to stay on schedule.  It may be overkill for Niagara, but the initial goal has to be 2-0…though I don’t see Niagara as anything like ORU.  Also keeps everyone on normal rest if you make it to the Supers.  

Would love to see Benge locking down in game 3 to get out at 3-0.  Then again Nebraska is red hot and Florida can suddenly wake up with all that talent.  Will see. 

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I’m no Strategy nut, but I bet we stick with the rotation to stay on schedule.  It may be overkill for Niagara, but the initial goal has to be 2-0…though I don’t see Niagara as anything like ORU.  Also keeps everyone on normal rest if you make it to the Supers.  

Would love to see Benge locking down in game 3 to get out at 3-0.  Then again Nebraska is red hot and Florida can suddenly wake up with all that talent.  Will see. 

If we start Garcia in Game 1 I hope our bats blow up and we can pull him early. I read that Niagara is solid overall but don’t have a traditional “ace” pitcher (or I might have made that up). If our offense continues to roll I hope we can save Garcia’s arm as much as possible. 

On 5/27/2024 at 11:55 AM, Hookem2147 said:

They struggled early in the year against better competition then put some things together and cruised through the Sun Belt before dropping both games of the conference tourney.

They are good on the mound, probably around average at the plate.

Huh? With an 8+ ERA?

On 5/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, chase25 said:

They switched it within the last few years. The actual academic institution may still go by Lafayette because when I went to the university's main website it still says University of Louisiana at Lafayette but I believe almost all the sports programs if not all have dropped the Lafayette. No idea why

Better branding. 

On 5/27/2024 at 9:55 PM, chase25 said:

The polite golf clap

On 5/27/2024 at 7:06 PM, gatormarc said:

I know we haven't been playing up to potential in February, March, April, or May. 

But I'm really feeling good about June.

I am thinking the same thing. All those teams who were playing up to their potential earlier are sure going to regret not saving it all for June like Texas and Florida.

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I am thinking the same thing. All those teams who were playing up to their potential earlier are sure going to regret not saving it all for June like Texas and Florida.

It's what LSU did too!

Chess matches already beginning, Wake Forest electing not to throw Chase Burns today. Let the madness begin. Not all that shocking of a decision but these are the decisions that create upsets and chaos

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Chess matches already beginning, Wake Forest electing not to throw Chase Burns today. Let the madness begin. Not all that shocking of a decision but these are the decisions that create upsets and chaos

A 4 is definitely winning today. Hopefully it’s grambling so that guy has to get a tattoo of the starters face 

Posted (edited)

Dumbass baserunning ends Coastal's first inning.  Coastal's starter sporting a 5.30 ERA, 1.42 WHIP and has given up 15 bombs. We may not have the worst Friday starter in the country.

Edited by zlavydra

One of the more interesting decisions based on what he did last year is Jay Johnson’s decision to save Luke Holman for the 2nd game this year yet he threw Skenes last year against an awful 4 seeded Tulane.

Just now, chase25 said:

One of the more interesting decisions based on what he did last year is Jay Johnson’s decision to save Luke Holman for the 2nd game this year yet he threw Skenes last year against an awful 4 seeded Tulane.

I think he considers Holman and Jump a 1a/1b type combo.

They were pretty shaky after Skenes in the rotation last year, so they needed to get in the winner's bracket to minimize the games they played. I wouldn't have done it as Tulane sucked but I somewhat saw the reasoning.