Large fire in downtown Alpine

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/local/firefighters-battle-the-large-structure-fire-in-the-downtown-alpine-area/513-9136284a-938e-43ea-8766-57a939679709

aadc94dd-ed68-466e-9270-e5fc343c27a9_192

ALPINE, Texas — According to the Brewster County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, the Alpine firefighters battled a large structure fire located in the downtown Alpine area on Sunday, May 26.

The fire was contained this evening to the already damaged structures and is not spreading.

The Alpine Volunteer Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Marathon, Marfa, Fort Davis and various fire crews from the Forest Service.

It was reported that one firefighter was transported to Big Bend Regional Medical Center for treatment.

It is advised for the public to continue to avoid the downtown area as the fire crews continue to work.

NewsWest 9 will continue to update this story when more information becomes available.

Don't we have a few surly-ites in the area?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Posted (edited)

??

aadc94dd-ed68-466e-9270-e5fc343c27a9_192

image.thumb.png.611b6ce55f55f42be7c32c9e9e3826d9.png

ALPINE, TX – A devastating fire broke out in downtown Alpine today, causing significant damage to several historic buildings and local businesses. The fire, which started in the early evening, quickly spread through structures on Holland Avenue, including Judy's Bread and Breakfast, Eva’s Salon and Catchlight Gallery.

First responders from Alpine, supported by fire departments from Marfa, Fort Davis, Marathon, and crews from the Texas A&M Forest Service, worked tirelessly to contain the blaze. Despite their efforts, the fire destroyed multiple businesses, including Ivey’s Emporium and Mi Tesoro Jewelry. Thankfully, no fatalities have been reported, although one firefighter was transported to Big Bend Regional Medical Center for treatment.

The Alpine Police Department and Brewster County Sheriff’s Office urged residents to stay clear of the downtown area to allow emergency personnel to work without obstruction. “Alpine, please stay away from the downtown area so that the first responders can focus and have plenty of room to work,” the Alpine Police Department stated. They also expressed gratitude to the surrounding communities for their swift assistance.

Former state representative and U.S. Congressman Pete Gallego shared his sorrow over the loss of historic structures that held cherished memories for many locals. “Today, we lost one of the most historic structures in downtown Alpine – a building that dated back to the early 1900s,” Gallego remarked. “My heart and my prayers go out to the business owners affected by this devastating loss.”

Edited by Beau Vine

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some art at the gallery on the left in my 2022 trip. I spoke to one of the artists for about 20 minutes or so regarding his art and I was curious about life in Alpine. My recollection was that they had a rotating group of artists who would be present at the store.

unfortunate damage update: https://www.bigbendartscouncil.org/gallery-on-the-square