1980s Kids: Brats - Andrew McCarthy Doc about The Brat Pack, June 13, Hulu

Posted (edited)

the most worthless generation of stars, not a single memorable role and their careers all flamed out when audiences became more sophisticated in the 90's. Endemic of the time the 2 most talented members (James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. ) were relegated to the role of bad guy or sidekick

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Very much in. I don't see Molly Ringwald being in the present day portions which is interesting. She's doing her own thing now and has been pretty present in retrospective videos that I see on YouTube like Vogue and Criterion Collection. I wonder if McCarthy will talk about Mannequin. 

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

the most worthless generation of stars, not a single memorable role and their careers all flamed out when audiences became more sophisticated in the 90's

I’m not sure I would castigate the whole generation, but perhaps your intention was just in reference to those in “the pack”.  

There’s a ton of versatile actors like Stanley Tucci, Kenneth Branagh and Tilda Swinton that are in the same age group.

Emilio had a solid career through the 90s. 

Rob lowe still appears in every new network series.

Judd did New Jack city.. then who knows. 

McCarthy is piss since weekend at Bernie's.

Demi - tits

Ringwald is doing solid work.

Sheedy... No clue.. She's Having a baby with Kevin bacon.

I remember seeing a feature on McCarthy on CBS Sunday Morning back in 2021.  This was done when he had a book coming out.  How much is self-serving, how much is honest reflection, I have no idea.  All I really remembered was the part about being airbrushed out of a photo that ran with a story about other members of the Brat Pack. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/andrew-mccarthy-no-longer-running-from-his-youth/

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Emilio had a solid career through the 90s. 

Rob lowe still appears in every new network series.

Judd did New Jack city.. then who knows. 

McCarthy is piss since weekend at Bernie's.

Demi - tits

Ringwald is doing solid work.

Sheedy... No clue.. She's Having a baby with Kevin bacon.

Rob Lowe had the West Wing and then later Parks and Rec. Judd had issues with drugs and was a pain to work with. McCarthy never could escape terrible rom-com roles and his career never recovered from Weekend at Bernies. Demi was on fire in the 90s and is now looking at a comeback with Feud and The Substance. Ringwald is getting decent work. Sheedy has probably had the least consistent work.

And you're thinking of Elizabeth McGovern who was in She's Having a Baby. She had the lead actress role in Downton Abbey. 

St. Elmo’s Fire is peak Brat Pack in 1985. They’re all in it, and the plot is particularly bratty. I believe their fame dissipated after mixed reviews.  

I think the film mostly works except for the absurd Demi Moore “suicide” (?!) attempt. It’s a better movie if it ends after Judd busts Sheedy banging McCarthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I’m not sure I would castigate the whole generation, but perhaps your intention was just in reference to those in “the pack”.  

There’s a ton of versatile actors like Stanley Tucci, Kenneth Branagh and Tilda Swinton that are in the same age group.

Specifically the brat pack they all peaked in the 80's and no one knew Tucci until devil wears Prada. Branaugh and Swinton are British so different thing entirely

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

St. Elmo’s Fire is peak Brat Pack in 1985. They’re all in it, and the plot is particularly bratty. I believe their fame dissipated after mixed reviews.  

I think the film mostly works except for the absurd Demi Moore “suicide” (?!) attempt. It’s a better movie if it ends after Judd busts Sheedy banging McCarthy. 

Great song tho

Posted (edited)

I liked About Last Night. Most 80’s movies filmed in Chicago are pretty good. 

Less Tham Zero is garbage. The film just didn’t work. The book is terrific. Hopefully it gets remade, but Bret Easton Ellis is a very weird guy so there’s no telling. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

Hell yeah, that was a great movie. Sean Young was hot.  I meant Less Than Zero of course.  

Ha. It's easy....to see how you can confuse the two....

I had my wife watch Less Than Zero last year during our Christmas movie watching. Best Christmas movie ever. So uplifting. Jami Gertz could get it. 

Most stars don’t have careers that last 5 decades . If you do, you’re the exception and probably have some talent. See Downey and Spader. Plus, the business is a lot harder on women. No one is fuckable for 5 decades besides Halle Berry. 

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Most stars don’t have careers that last 5 decades . If you do, you’re the exception and probably have some talent. See Downey and Spader. Plus, the business is a lot harder on women. No one is fuckable for 5 decades besides Halle Berry. 

I’ve got a bone to pick with you about Hurley and Beckinsale and Locklear. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Season 3 Leave GIF by Martin

13 hours ago, threesheets said:

Is The Breakfast Club not considered a Brat Pack joint? Because that movie is the definition of awesome. 

that entire movie took place in ally sheedy’s head. She was the only on in detention that day, the rest were characters in her head 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:38 PM, atomheartbevo said:

In the 1980s, everybody wanted to be in the Brat Pack. Except them. Director Andrew McCarthy reunites with Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, and more for the original documentary “BRATS” streaming June 13, only on Hulu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxVNQkRM5Qw

All those featured in the trailer have aged very well.  Estevez has completely morphed into Martin Sheen, though.

Guess Nelson, Ringwald and AMH opted out.

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

the most worthless generation of stars, not a single memorable role and their careers all flamed out when audiences became more sophisticated in the 90's. Endemic of the time the 2 most talented members (James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. ) were relegated to the role of bad guy or sidekick

If you're including Spader and Downey, might as well include Hutton, Cruise, Penn, Dillon, Cage, Broderick and Modine.  They were at least mentioned in the New Yorker article as members, unlike Spader and Downey.

Edited by Don Johnson

The Breakfast Club is arguably the most seminal movie of the 1980's. Anthony Michael Hall isn't usually mentioned as one of The Brat Packers but he was pretty fucking close after you look at all the shit he did with those actors in the 80's.

Brat Pack + John Hughes = Greatness

Brat Pack + Other Projects = Mostly not that great buddy

And Demi Moore's career peaked in the 90's. She was the top-paid actress in Hollywood for a few years, I think, or maybe just below Julia Roberts.

McCarthy essentially walked away from Hollywood and became a writer just like his character in St Elmo's Fire, which was basically a trying-to-serious Friends in the 80's.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

If you're including Spader and Downey, might as well include Hutton, Cruise, Penn, Dillon, Cage, Penn, Broderick and Modine.  They were at least mentioned in the New Yorker article as members, unlike Spader and Downey.

Edward Norton and Tom Cruise 

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

that entire movie took place in ally sheedy’s head. She was the only on in detention that day, the rest were characters in her head 

This is gonna fuck with me every time I watch it from now on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Helen Mirren scoffs in your direction.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I don’t know if Outsiders qualifies as a Brat Pack flick. The term probably wasn’t even invented then. But it was one of the first big movies to feature an ensemble cast of young actors and cater to a younger audience. That genre took off in the early 80s.

The first Brat Pack movie was Taps, the story of kids taking over a military school, a sleeper that took in $20.5 million. Then came The Outsiders, adapted from the S. E. Hinton novel and directed by Francis Ford Coppola; Rumble Fish, another Coppola-Hinton effort; The Breakfast Club; and now, on June 28, the release of the latest matchup of the Brats, St. Elmo’s Fire

David Blum coined the term: his New York Magazine article from 1985

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

All those featured in the trailer have aged very well. 

i was gonna say the same thing.. Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Demi Moore - Andrew and Rob definitely have a distinguished handsomeness.

(that hamburger joint in the last part of the clip is in Carpenteria CA, right off the beach.. good burgers).