Memorial Day 2024

Armybrat

Have buried a few friends. My dad sent this to me. An article on the 3rd ID and a bit of history about Arlington.

The following is adapted from a speech delivered on April 9, 2019, at Hillsdale College’s Allan P. Kirby, Jr. Center for Constitutional Studies and Citizenship in Washington, D.C.

Every headstone at Arlington tells a story. These are tales of heroes, I thought, as I placed the toe of my combat boot against the white marble. I pulled a miniature American flag out of my assault pack and pushed it three inches into the ground at my heel. I stepped aside to inspect it, making sure it met the standard that we had briefed to our troops: “vertical and perpendicular to the headstone.” Satisfied, I moved to the next headstone to keep up with my soldiers. Having started this row, I had to complete it. One soldier per row was the rule; otherwise, different boot sizes might disrupt the perfect symmetry of the headstones and flags. I planted flag after flag, as did the soldiers on the rows around me.

https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/sacred-duty-soldiers-tour-arlington-national-cemetery/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It is nightfall in Northern Europe.  The Luftwaffe is running raids over various ports in Southern England as Allied troops and ships have aggregated.  They will kill several hundred of our serviceman just tonight.  The dead will be buried, the ships repaired, the decoy and preparations for the Day of Days will resume tomorrow.  In 11 days time, the Day of Days will occur.  Let us not forget the Americans who perished before that Day.  Let us not forget that this is our holiday, but how many Brits, Canadians, French, Aussies, Kiwis, and 60 other countries suffered and died today so that those 5 beaches could be retaken.  And then two other theaters from Italty to the South Pacific.  So many had to die just to setup the even bigger death count at the finale. 

I hope and pray we never have to go through this shit again.  I was fortunate enough to not have to have lost any family members who served in combat and they got live happy, long lives.  But they knew plenty of of brothers that did die from WW2 to Korea to Vietnam to Afghanistan.  I got to do the wreath changing at the tomb of the unknown soldier when I was just in 8th grade.  I never knew why they picked me.  I had a family of Naval service (and the other branches mixed in a bit).  I had no idea the significance of the ceremony at the time and didn't for decades.  But I'd like to think it was because the Sentries saw something in me that led them to believe I was and am a shithead.  But I know a sacrifice when I see one.  I wish I could go to my Grandfather or Father's gravesite today and recall the days they'd get together on Memorial day with their buddies and talk about their dead friends killed in action.  I will take solace in the story my grandfather told me after he lost a lot of friends in theater.  

"The morning after Pearl Harbor, I got on the train and headed to Great Lakes Naval Station.  It was mostly well-dressed men heading to work in the city, but I was still a young man and the only one not dressed in a suit.  I didn't know if I had made a mistake.  I got off the train at the GLNS stop and there were hundreds of boys, maybe thousands.  We all had the same idea.  Beat back evil.  A lot of those fellas I trained with never made it back to Chicago alive.  They died in various naval battles in the Pacific."

Here's to you gentleman.  RIP.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Just learned of this. Sad, but is happening to a lot of VFW posts around the nation. A lot more in the Spoiler section and it is not just the storm. BTW, that land has become very lucrative. Makes me wonder why the pressure now.

SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) — Next year will mark 90 years since the establishment of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in San Marcos, but there are real concerns among those who keep it running that it may not make it to that milestone.

“Without this space for veterans in San Marcos, there’s not many other spaces that we can call our own, honestly,” said Stephanie Brown, the post commander at the Maurice T. Suttles VFW Post 3413.

On the evening of May 9, a strong storm blew through the community, bringing with it large hail and damaging winds. Brown’s husband Aaron, the post quartermaster, happened to be inside the post at the time. A theater group was using the large community space for rehearsal and he ushered them to hunker down in an interior hallway.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/san-marcos/after-nearly-90-years-san-marcos-vfw-post-at-risk-of-closing/

Spoiler

“They literally — and I mean literally — sat here and sang ‘Kumbaya’ while we rode out the worst of the storm,” Aaron said, “not realizing that at the time, part of the roof was getting detached.”

The wind had essentially peeled back the edge of the roof on the southern side of the metal building. Hail stones also pummeled that side of the building, leaving sizable dents, and the gusts caused the siding to buckle in spots.

Tape is currently holding down the edges of the roof now that volunteers helped the post flip back over parts of the roof. Repairs are expected to cost about $16,000, but that does not include fixing the other exterior damage.

However, the VFW post is facing another significant expense. It also needs about $140,000 to install a fire suppression system, which is now required by the City of San Marcos, and possibly another $40,000 for the electrical upgrades needed to run it.

Aaron said those costs are seemingly “insurmountable” at this time, especially when he pointed out the post typically brings in $35,000 to $40,000 each year. That money is mostly from renting out the building and opening up the space for others to use. It’s come to the point where the veterans now have no choice but to do something that they say is not easy for them: asking the community for help.

“Just in the last five years I’ve had as quartermaster, this post has showed up whenever possible, however possible for this community,” Aaron said, “but now we’re asking the community to show up for us. We need your help.”

How to donate

Donations are what the veterans said will make the difference to help them stick around and still serve the community. The VFW post set up an online fundraiser where people can go and contribute money to help it make the needed capital improvements.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Just learned of this. Sad, but is happening to a lot of VFW posts around the nation. A lot more in the Spoiler section and it is not just the storm. BTW, that land has become very lucrative. Makes me wonder why the pressure now.

SAN MARCOS, Texas (KXAN) — Next year will mark 90 years since the establishment of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in San Marcos, but there are real concerns among those who keep it running that it may not make it to that milestone.

“Without this space for veterans in San Marcos, there’s not many other spaces that we can call our own, honestly,” said Stephanie Brown, the post commander at the Maurice T. Suttles VFW Post 3413.

On the evening of May 9, a strong storm blew through the community, bringing with it large hail and damaging winds. Brown’s husband Aaron, the post quartermaster, happened to be inside the post at the time. A theater group was using the large community space for rehearsal and he ushered them to hunker down in an interior hallway.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/san-marcos/after-nearly-90-years-san-marcos-vfw-post-at-risk-of-closing/

Reveal hidden contents

“They literally — and I mean literally — sat here and sang ‘Kumbaya’ while we rode out the worst of the storm,” Aaron said, “not realizing that at the time, part of the roof was getting detached.”

The wind had essentially peeled back the edge of the roof on the southern side of the metal building. Hail stones also pummeled that side of the building, leaving sizable dents, and the gusts caused the siding to buckle in spots.

Tape is currently holding down the edges of the roof now that volunteers helped the post flip back over parts of the roof. Repairs are expected to cost about $16,000, but that does not include fixing the other exterior damage.

However, the VFW post is facing another significant expense. It also needs about $140,000 to install a fire suppression system, which is now required by the City of San Marcos, and possibly another $40,000 for the electrical upgrades needed to run it.

Aaron said those costs are seemingly “insurmountable” at this time, especially when he pointed out the post typically brings in $35,000 to $40,000 each year. That money is mostly from renting out the building and opening up the space for others to use. It’s come to the point where the veterans now have no choice but to do something that they say is not easy for them: asking the community for help.

“Just in the last five years I’ve had as quartermaster, this post has showed up whenever possible, however possible for this community,” Aaron said, “but now we’re asking the community to show up for us. We need your help.”

How to donate

Donations are what the veterans said will make the difference to help them stick around and still serve the community. The VFW post set up an online fundraiser where people can go and contribute money to help it make the needed capital improvements.

well, that sucks. Thanks for posting Inka.  Donated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

well, that sucks. Thanks for posting Inka.  Donated. 

Yeah, wish McCoys would pick up and support. They have made a pretty penny selling to DOD. I knew their community engagement lead, but he is no longer there.

But my gut feeling is someone wants that land. Land all around it is for sale.