CWD - we good or nah?

CoTex

when I donate blood they ask me all the questions about things and one is about time in England during mad cow BSE.  I pass their question but wonder, “why are they still asking me 25 years later?

Now, similar disease is all around us.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/04/19/zombie-deer-disease-hunters-died-infected-venison/73384647007/

Anybody know anything meaningful?

Anybody stop eating deer meat?

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Avoid the clap 

I find it interesting that wild herbivores are getting CWD. They say it is spread from social habits like licking and grooming and from the environment. It makes sense because I can't think of a great alternative if it is not airborn. But it's strange.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I find it interesting that wild herbivores are getting CWD. They say it is spread from social habits like licking and grooming and from the environment. It makes sense because I can't think of a great alternative if it is not airborn. But it's strange.

They shed the prions in their saliva. Anything that concentrates deer in a small area is going to help spread it. Unfortunately that means stuff like feeders and water.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

They shed the prions in their saliva. Anything that concentrates deer in a small area is going to help spread it. Unfortunately that means stuff like feeders and water.

Deer breeding facilities and small high fenced ranches seem to be risky.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just wait until you find out that heat, radiation, and bleach sterilization doesn't work on the proteins that cause it. If you don't refold the protein using other chemicals they will persist in nature forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Just wait until you find out that heat, radiation, and bleach sterilization doesn't work on the proteins that cause it. If you don't refold the protein using other chemicals they will persist in nature forever.

I worked with a company that began working with prions as I was leaving. The company was shit and had little respect for government regulation. Luckily the company was purchased by Roche - and, hopefully, Roche shut the program down.

Otherwise, I would be surprised if the company used anything beyond BSL-2 and I am sure that CJD would have been studied since it was a human diagnostic company that wouldn't give a shit about things like scrapies. For those unfamiliar with Bio-safety Level 2, it would include hand washing sinks, eye washing stations, and doors that close and lock automatically. I'm not sure how useful that is for a biological that is resistant to boiling, alcohol, acid, formaldehyde, autoclaving, and radiation.

The common understanding was that CWD wasn't passed to humans but, with this article, it seems like there may be more to the story.

If you were presented with deer meat from a captive herd where some deer had tested positive for CWD, would you eat it?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CoTex said:

when I donate blood they ask me all the questions about things and one is about time in England during mad cow BSE.  I pass their question but wonder, “why are they still asking me 25 years later?

Now, similar disease is all around us.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/04/19/zombie-deer-disease-hunters-died-infected-venison/73384647007/

Anybody know anything meaningful?

Anybody stop eating deer meat?

Is the mad cow exposure still a thing? I don’t give blood mainly because I spent a lot of time in the UK as a yute in the 80s/90s. 

Edited by HiggyBaby

46 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Is the mad cow exposure still a thing? I don’t give blood mainly because I spent a lot of time in the UK as a yute in the 80s/90s. 

A year ago it was

”were you in the UK for 180 days or more from the years —- to —-.”  I was there about 160 in 1996 so I answer truthfully - “no,” but mark me down as skeptical that the threshold solves much.  A person that was there 120 days eating nothing but beef is probably a bigger issue that a person who was there 400 days as a vegan.

“The second man to die, who was 77, suffered "rapid-onset confusion and aggression," the researchers said, and died within a month despite treatment.”

These symptoms describe me in the 3rd quarters of many 2022 Texas football games. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

“The second man to die, who was 77, suffered "rapid-onset confusion and aggression," the researchers said, and died within a month despite treatment.”

These symptoms describe me in the 3rd quarters of many 2022 Texas football games. 

I seen that before. 

yZCFxi7VcCrqPwdshb2HUE.jpg

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CoTex said:

If you were presented with deer meat from a captive herd where some deer had tested positive for CWD, would you eat it?

Im Not No Way GIF

I need to ask my aggy cousin if he’d fuck a deer from a captive herd that had CWD cases.

• Haha 2

Last year I had them do the free test while I was dropping off some deer at the processor. We aren’t in a CWD area but figured what the hell.  My meat was ready for pickup about 2 weeks before I got the results back.  I continued to eat last years sausage until it was clear because that would be too fucking on brand and ironic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Last year I had them do the free test while I was dropping off some deer at the processor. We aren’t in a CWD area but figured what the hell.  My meat was ready for pickup about 2 weeks before I got the results back.  I continued to eat last years sausage until it was clear because that would be too fucking on brand and ironic. 

If positive do they destroy it or just give you some warning label?  Or is it already in your possession?

5 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

I googled it.  Apparently the rule changed in 22 and they’re not required to screen for that anymore.  I’m not going back through my emails but I’m pretty sure the last time I donated blood was early ‘23 and they asked me the question.

When will they start asking “how often do you consume deer meat?”

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If positive do they destroy it or just give you some warning label?  Or is it already in your possession?

I assume they would destroy it. Certain areas of the state it’s mandatory you take it by the check stations. I’m not sure how quickly they can turn it around, I’ve never had to deal with it.  I had a few minutes and they offered, and I was interested. That’s only reason I did. Prions are nasty, nasty, nasty. 

6 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

In 1996 I tested positive for TB after getting back from GITMO. A 2nd test showed negative but I was still banned from donating blood. I haven't donated since.

Did you uh, order the code red?

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Let me save you some time....

The Office Reaction GIF

I'm not real familiar with animal husbandry. With that said, I wonder how he gets the deer into the hot tub.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm not real familiar with animal husbandry. With that said, I wonder how he gets the deer into the hot tub.

At least he is practicing safe sex!

• Haha 1