College Station Regional

Horny Bull

This isn’t just depressed fan talking but I don’t think we are even winning the first one tomorrow.

That game was so emotionally draining, Louisiana didn’t even break a sweat against Grambling today and have their 2nd best starter fully rested going against Ace Whitehead.

We went all in tonight and it didn’t happen. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This isn’t just depressed fan talking but I don’t think we are even winning the first one tomorrow.

That game was so emotionally draining, Louisiana didn’t even break a sweat against Grambling today and have their 2nd best starter fully rested going against Ace Whitehead.

I dont think we should pitch Ace. We should pitch our worst arm. If we lose, we lose. Ace is the only dude that gives us a small chance against aggy. 

32 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he's not getting fired.  sure I'd be absolutely fine with it but it's not happening.

He’s .587 (101-71) at Texas while has career winning percentage is .647. Not impressive considering the reputation of Texas and our facilities.   Win 3 Big12 titles.   

Surely there has got to be someone better wants this job.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NashLonghorn said:

He’s .587 (101-71) at Texas while has career winning percentage is .647. Not impressive considering the reputation of Texas and our facilities.   Win 3 Big12 titles.   

Surely there has got to be someone better wants this job.  

Oh I agree.  I just don't think we have the balls to fire him this year.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Oh I agree.  I just don't think we have the balls to fire him this year.

Why not?   The team seems to be getting worse.  You don’t fire him if the team makes the CWS but shit we may end up 1-4 postseason- that’s went it counts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There’s a mountain of stats at the MLB level now showing that postseason rest is meaningless. I imagine it translates at least somewhat to college. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I would never fire for Pierce for his coaching. 

I would absolutely fire Pierce for his roster management.

The offensive plan was solid. Impossible to expect PB to fall off, maybe you could say they should’ve added someone more productive than Cummings. The plan to showcase JT at CF likely caused issues pitching playing time

Pitching is obviously the issue. Minimal high school adds over 3 year. Chips all in on LBJ and Witt. Caught off-guard by Gordon signing. Reliever injuries galore. Bad luck injury bug or Pierce issue?

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

37 minutes ago, WBT said:

Exactly, we're in the same spot now as we would have been in the best case with the lose game 1 plan.  The difference is we had a chance tonight and lost.  But the let's play Grambling at all cost plan never gives you a chance at all.  This team doesn't have the pitching - their only chance was to go 2-0.

Except you still have at least 1 more of Grubbs and LBJ.  Maybe both.  So when I say we’re in the same place, that’s because we’re down to 3 teams and a maximum of 3 games.  But make no mistake about it, our staff is in as bad a condition as it could be at this stage of the tourney.

Imagine Grubbs going against ULs #2 tomorrow then we have LBJ going against the Ags #2 or #3. That’s a significant shift in odds of winning those two games.  Now you’ve got Hurley or Ace versus the Ags #3 or some dude that’s only started 3 or 4 games.

Anyway I’ll be done with it.

Posted (edited)

Just finished watching fuck me. You tell me A&M has 2 runs in 9 after LBJ and Boehm and I’m 100% certain Texas won. Fuck. 3 errors. Fuck. It’s 2am. Fuck.

no complaints about the game except Flores mental gaffs at SS twice in the same inning.  middle innings plate discipline started to fall apart some. But that wasn’t the game. If the game ends in 9 like it should, later pitching problems never show. Heck, held Montgomery in check, really nice job for 10 innings. Ugh. The errors were plain and simple. Great game otherwise. Not confident the rest of the way, but college baseball you know?

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

If we saw their best starter on Friday then I am not worried a single fuck about their second best starter. 

Fuck the Cajuns.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The offensive plan was solid. Impossible to expect PB to fall off, maybe you could say they should’ve added someone more productive than Cummings. The plan to showcase JT at CF likely caused issues pitching playing time

Pitching is obviously the issue. Minimal high school adds over 3 year. Chips all in on LBJ and Witt. Caught off-guard by Gordon signing. Reliever injuries galore. Bad luck injury bug or Pierce issue?

If it was an isolated occurrence (poor pitching), I'd say bad luck.  But our pitching has been subpar by Texas standards for most of Pierce's tenure.

To his credit, though, I guess, he's managed to "develop" pitchers enough in the past that they can put together reasonable post-season performances.

• Hook 'Em 1

We will have to agree to disagree here. In that situation you run to the bag, plant a foot on it and field the ball in front of the bag. Instead, he hesitated and then panicked because he hesitated and failed to field it cleanly because he was rushing to make the play. 

Yep. That was another of the multiple gifts they gave us and we fumbled it away. A medium almost soft roller with no spin on it right at the bag. Powells first move was inexplicably to the line BEHIND the base.

An average college 3B makes that play in their sleep. That was just horrible all around.

44 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

An average college 3B makes that play in their sleep. That was just horrible all around

Great point. Is PP a below average college 3b?  Or did Tulo teach him to field that way? Or do even the best make errors sometimes? What do you think?

Yes, Flores and Powell fucked up, but nothing about Porter Brown continuously being sent up there against lefties that he had no chance against??  Two dominant lefties (throwing 88-89) mowing us down all night and you don’t pinch hit Borba (or start him to begin with)?  
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see O’Dowd in the lineup today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Yep. That was another of the multiple gifts they gave us and we fumbled it away. A medium almost soft roller with no spin on it right at the bag. Powells first move was inexplicably to the line BEHIND the base.

An average college 3B makes that play in their sleep. That was just horrible all around.

This along with Flores issues.  Not the recipe for post season baseball success. Very disappointing. But Hookem. Go 3-0 the rest of the weekend and get to the supers.  

Hurley is going to have to come out of the bullpen in game 1. We have no other options. 

I just can’t see a path to winning 2 games today. Last night was the chance to get in the driver’s seat and steal this regional.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hurley is going to have to come out of the bullpen in game 1. We have no other options. 

I just can’t see a path to winning 2 games today. Last night was the chance to get in the driver’s seat and steal this regional.

We should pitch our shittiest worst arms in Game 1 and if we lose, who really gives a shit. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

We should pitch our shittiest worst arms in Game 1 and if we lose, who really gives a shit. 

All we have left is our shittiest worst arms…..

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ace, Chuck and 15 runs in the first game. Easton Tumis channeling his inner Hollingsworth in game 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

That’s the spirit 

Would you rather play to win the regional or play to beat UL so that we can get assblasted by aggy? You play to win the regional. You pitch Ace in game 2 tonight and you pitch Shaw or some other hack in Game 1. If you lose, you lose. 

17 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Yes, Flores and Powell fucked up, but nothing about Porter Brown continuously being sent up there against lefties that he had no chance against??  Two dominant lefties (throwing 88-89) mowing us down all night and you don’t pinch hit Borba (or start him to begin with)?  
I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see O’Dowd in the lineup today. 

Borba had more HRs against KU than PB, O'Dowd and Dee had combined HITS against KU, and he was rewarded by never seeing an at bat again after that.  Fuck DP.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The best part about the Porter Brown thing is pinch hitting not only improves your offense but also upgrades you defensively.

He had a good game 1 so I get starting him even against a tough lefty but he should have never been allowed to face Aschenbeck.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Eh we were living on borrowed time and needed things to line up about perfectly to make it out of the regional. 

We cut it too close last night and ended up on the wrong end of it. 

We needed to make routine plays at short stop? That's lining up perfectly?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

If it was an isolated occurrence (poor pitching), I'd say bad luck.  But our pitching has been subpar by Texas standards for most of Pierce's tenure.

To his credit, though, I guess, he's managed to "develop" pitchers enough in the past that they can put together reasonable post-season performances.

Going back to 2019 with McCann we always seem to lose a key piece that causes us to have to work a lot harder than we should to do basic things like win.  Instead of taking an island of misfit toys we should have more depth than this and that is 100% on the ball coach,  these games are won and lost in the offseason.  Not some Tuesday night game or even last night.  He's playing the roster he brought and to expect it to magically improve during the middle of the season, or squeeze more out of them over and over is stupid.

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

Going back to 2019 with McCann we always seem to lose a key piece that causes us to have to work a lot harder than we should to do basic things like win.  Instead of taking an island of misfit toys we should have more depth than this and that is 100% on the ball coach,  these games are won and lost in the offseason.  Not some Tuesday night game or even last night.  He's playing the roster he brought and to expect it to magically improve during the middle of the season, or squeeze more out of them over and over is stupid.

Yes, hence the faint praise on "developing" pitchers late in the season.

18 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Would you rather play to win the regional or play to beat UL so that we can get assblasted by aggy? You play to win the regional. You pitch Ace in game 2 tonight and you pitch Shaw or some other hack in Game 1. If you lose, you lose. 

Right...

And then after losing game 1 today, you would be bitching about "How did we not pitch Ace?!!"

Game 2 (today) doesn't matter if you don't win game 1.

Same as everyone here thinking all of a sudden PP is a shitty 3rd baseman. That play NEVER happens if Flores makes at least one of his two throws in the 8th. Plus not getting the big hit with runners on after the 8th. 

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Except you still have at least 1 more of Grubbs and LBJ.  Maybe both.  So when I say we’re in the same place, that’s because we’re down to 3 teams and a maximum of 3 games.  But make no mistake about it, our staff is in as bad a condition as it could be at this stage of the tourney.

Imagine Grubbs going against ULs #2 tomorrow then we have LBJ going against the Ags #2 or #3. That’s a significant shift in odds of winning those two games.  Now you’ve got Hurley or Ace versus the Ags #3 or some dude that’s only started 3 or 4 games.

Anyway I’ll be done with it.

You think LBJ could throw after how many pitches he threw last night. 
No way. He did well last night but was still spiking balls in dirt every batter, he just worked his way out of it. I can’t see him being able to pitch. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, TornACL said:

If we saw their best starter on Friday then I am not worried a single fuck about their second best starter. 

Fuck the Cajuns.

Texas has Whitehead, Hurley, and a bunch of nobodies left in the BP. It doesn't matter if Texas wins today vs. ULL. Not a chance in hell this pitching staff wins three straight. Winning last night was the only shot. Texas had it and blew it, multiple times.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Right...

And then after losing game 1 today, you would be bitching about "How did we not pitch Ace?!!"

Game 2 (today) doesn't matter if you don't win game 1.

Same as everyone here thinking all of a sudden PP is a shitty 3rd baseman. That play NEVER happens if Flores makes at least one of his two throws in the 8th. Plus not getting the big hit with runners on after the 8th. 

Agreed there. 

Aggies didnt pitch their ace against Grambling. Sometimes you take risks to better your long term position. 

3 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Agreed there. 

Aggies didnt pitch their ace against Grambling. Sometimes you take risks to better your long term position. 

Grambling probably shouldn't have been in the tourney. We wouldn't have started a #1 against them either if we had played them. 

We are short on pitching now. You cant hope someone else steps us so we can save Ace for game two today. Lose game 1 and season is over. You HAVE TO GET TO GAME 2. 

If Ace isn't the starter in game 1, this board will go apeshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I almost made the comment before the regional started.

If we were going to lose a game it needed to be the first one. We could have used yesterday as basically a rest day for all our quality arms against Grambling and headed into today with Boehm, Dre, Whitehead and maybe even LBJ still available.

Losing the second game burned more trusted arms and left us in a worst spot.

Edited by Hookem2147