College Station Regional

Horny Bull

On 5/28/2024 at 6:10 PM, Valmy77 said:

Win this Regional Pierce and I will forgive all the bullshit your team has done this year.

Win it and I'll forgive a lot, but not all.  

This program should never have a pitching staff like this.

Ever.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Tex Long said:

... and hiring Schloss away from them...

... and posting Schloss with Sark and CDC, and the game scoreboard in the background...

I wouldn’t want to hire a guy that couldn’t beat this Texas team lead by pierce, at home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Win it and I'll forgive a lot, but not all.  

This program should never have a pitching staff like this.

Ever.

You pissed at Fontenot, Rigney, Witt, Mercer and Santos?

2 hours ago, Balcones said:

Fontenot? Yeah, I think he could have accepted some coaching and stayed on the team

Rigney? Baylor guy with a terrible motion which everyone knew would lead/ had led to injuries. Pierce should have known. Plus, again, Baylor.

Witt? Definitely not pissed at him, just at Pierce for putting so many eggs in that basket.

Mercer and Santos? At them? No. As long as those injuries were legit surprises, then not at Pierce either.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Fontenot? Yeah, I think he could have accepted some coaching and stayed on the team

Rigney? Baylor guy with a terrible motion which everyone knew would lead/ had led to injuries. Pierce should have known. Plus, again, Baylor.

Witt? Definitely not pissed at him, just at Pierce for putting so many eggs in that basket.

Mercer and Santos? At them? No. As long as those injuries were legit surprises, then not at Pierce either.

Yep.  Pierce gets hammered for being the pitching coach and then narrative goes hard on him.  Fact is, this staff is ranked 45th in country in ERA.  I'm not saying that is great (or Texas standard), but certainly not our worst ever (go look at 1996-2000 -  6+ team ERAs).  There are only 9 teams in NCAA below 4 in ERA in 2024. 9.  No team in country is below 3.6 ERA.

Pierce gets hammered for not working the portal.  He had pitchers signed from LSU, Baylor, ND, and Duke who didn't throw a pitch (Fontenot did but ended up a head case).  He also brought in a guy from San Jacinto who has been great.  

I think he has done decent for what he had to work with.  The 5 guys that are injured/quit weren't projects.  They were all supposed to be heavy contributors.  Pierce has had to rely a lot more on his developing players and the results show that.  Some games we are great, others we are all over the map. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

I’d try and get through game 1 with Grubbs and using Gage as little as possible if it all. Some combination of Cade and Dre out of the pen

Pierce tends to be pretty conventional. If we get to the winners bracket game 2 against A&M, I would lean using everyone and try to avoid letting A&M see anyone more than one time through the order. I’d lean starting Lebarron because I trust Ace more out of the pen.

26 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I’d try and get through game 1 with Grubbs and using Gage as little as possible if it all. Some combination of Cade and Dre out of the pen

Pierce tends to be pretty conventional. If we get to the winners bracket game 2 against A&M, I would lean using everyone and try to avoid letting A&M see anyone more than one time through the order. I’d lean starting Lebarron because I trust Ace more out of the pen.

I can't imagine Pierce wouldn't start Ace in Game 2 against aggy.

we gonna need the lineup to show up and some good fielding would be nice as well.

Posted (edited)

Hard to envision a scenario where we win this regional without Boehm and Dre both throwing 3 days in a row unless we have Chad Hollingsworth reincarnated come down from the heavens for one of the games. Just the way it is. It's nice to have two guys you trust a lot out of the bullpen but that means they are going to have to shoulder an extremely heavy load.

I have no idea where Whitehead is health-wise, but he was not in a very good spot leading up to the Big 12 tournament. I was kind of surprised they even threw him against Tech. I think the plan is for him to have surgery almost immediately after the season ends. The idea of him throwing 85 against that A&M lineup is terrifying. Would almost prefer LBJ in that spot if we are in the winner's bracket. There is a chance of a blowup outing with him, but he can also compete with that lineup if he is on.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Pretty surprised we’re throwing Grubbs not Ace Game 1. Feels like playing not to go 0-2 rather than win

When you don’t have a true #1, any pitching decison has the chance to backfire.

Ace hasn’t pitched well enough the last month or so to give me confidence he could beat a team like Louisiana.

37 minutes ago, Spaceman_Spiff said:

Pretty surprised we’re throwing Grubbs not Ace Game 1. Feels like playing not to go 0-2 rather than win

We are the #3 seed, not the #1 seed. Got to throw your best arm.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Cajun said:

Win it and I'll forgive a lot, but not all.  This program should never have a pitching staff like this.         Ever.

Yeah, this team has been difficult to watch.  I've recorded more games this year and just fast forwarded a lot to avoid the pain.  Pitching performances have often been brutal to watch.   No excuses for this shit at Texas.

NONE

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, chase25 said:

I’d be ok with LBJ running back his start from last year’s regional 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

I just noticed on my wagering site that Aggy is the betting favorite in the tourney to win the whole thing, CWS champs.  Even above Tennessee right now.

Fade that.

85 years of history out front shoulda told you.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’d be ok with LBJ running back his start from last year’s regional 

Grubbs goes 6, Gage finishes it off. LBJ goes the distance against aggy. Ace goes 5 against aggy then Gage gets us the next 4. Off to the supers. Let’s go. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Grubbs goes 6, Gage finishes it off. LBJ goes the distance against aggy. Ace goes 5 against aggy then Gage gets us the next 4. Off to the supers. Let’s go. 

I’ll take it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 6:58 AM, Balcones said:

Yeah, just bad luck, right?  DP is just a victim of tough breaks.  He carries no blame whatsoever.

You going with that?

Now let’s discuss catchers…

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Bro you’re supposed to pass after you puff puff 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, .45s said:

it is too bad we don't have a really good game 1/Friday starter this year.  Or game 2.  Or game 3.

Grubbs slots in reasonably well in a non-ace role. He's having to pitch out of place on this staff and has held his own. Hopefully he sets the tone today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

aggy game will be streamed, and Texas' game will be on ESPNU.  Lulz

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2024/05/31/ncaa-baseball-college-station-regional-bracket-texas-longhorns-schedule-tv-channels/73884104007/

NCAA College Station Regional schedule

Friday, May 31

Game 1: #1 Texas A&M vs. #4 Grambling – 12 p.m., ESPN+

Game 2: #2 Louisiana vs. #3 Texas – 5 p.m., ESPNU

Saturday, June 1

Game 3: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2 – 2p.m., TBD

Game 4: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 – 8 p.m., TBD

Sunday, June 2

Game 5: Winner Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4 – 2 p.m., TBD

Game 6: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 4 – 7 p.m., TBD

Monday, June 3

Game 7 (if necessary): same teams as Game 6 – TBD, TBD

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

aggy game will be streamed, and Texas' game will be on ESPNU.  Lulz

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/longhorns/baseball/2024/05/31/ncaa-baseball-college-station-regional-bracket-texas-longhorns-schedule-tv-channels/73884104007/

NCAA College Station Regional schedule

Friday, May 31

Game 1: #1 Texas A&M vs. #4 Grambling – 12 p.m., ESPN+

Game 2: #2 Louisiana vs. #3 Texas – 5 p.m., ESPN2

Saturday, June 1

Game 3: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2 – 2p.m., TBD

Game 4: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2 – 8 p.m., TBD

Sunday, June 2

Game 5: Winner Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4 – 2 p.m., TBD

Game 6: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 4 – 7 p.m., TBD

Monday, June 3

Game 7 (if necessary): same teams as Game 6 – TBD, TBD

*CORRECTION ABOVE

My AT&T Uverse onscreen guide also says Texas' game will be on The Deuce, so statesman-FAIL.  Lulz.