Bill Walton (1952-2024)

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But he never had to live in a world without his beloved conference of champions. 

Huh. That is a good point and looking on the bright side 

Walton was doing color for a Rockets game and Steve Francis put up a contested three early in the possession that clanged off the front of the rim. Walton said, "That was the worst shot in the history of the franchise." 

Probably not his best line, but one that made me laugh and stuck with me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Didn’t he announce the tournament in Maui just this past November? Or maybe that was the year before. Seems like he was announcing this past season. Of course I don’t remember what I did last week so I’m probably wrong. Loved bill. Rip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

This one really sucks. An all time personality.

An all-time human being as well. The man just loved life. His ability to make it through that ordeal with his back was incredible. The way he described that time in his life would’ve broke a lesser person. He will definitely be missed a whole bunch.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just an all-time great. Great basketball player, great person, great announcer (not everyone’s cup of tea, but I loved him).  I’m glad he’s not suffering anymore, but he will be missed tremendously. If you haven’t seen it, watch the documentary that ESPN put out in his life. Just an incredible dive into classic UCLA teams, Portland mania, overcoming adversity, depression, Grateful Dead, and Larry Legend. RIP, Bill.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

RIP

I just texted a friend about this moment before seeing the clip again. He was just so unserious about himself, but he treated people so well everywhere he went. Those are the people that make life wonderful.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Interesting, and unfortunate, that he blamed himself for the Clippers moving from San Diego to LA.

San Diego Clippers (1979–1985)[edit]

On May 13, 1979, Walton signed as a veteran free agent with the San Diego Clippers; the Portland Trail Blazers received Kevin Kunnert, Kermit Washington and a 1980 first-round draft pick (Mike Gminski was later selected) as compensation ordered by the NBA. Walton reportedly agreed to a seven-year, $7 million contract.[45][10]

Due to injuries, Walton spent more time on the disabled list than on the court with his hometown team. In his first season with San Diego, Walton played 14 games for the Clippers in the 1979–80 season. Walton re-fractured the navicular bone in the fourth 1979 exhibition game and subsequently missed all of the 1980–81 and 1981–82 seasons, undergoing several surgeries on his injured foot. Walton ignored doctors who said he would never play again and underwent surgery to restructure his left foot in 1981. His high arch, which made the foot bones susceptible to breaking, was lowered to relieve the stress on the bones.[45][10]

Following extensive rehabilitation, which included biking and sand volleyball, Walton's foot began to improve; after playing only 14 games from 1979 to 1982, he played 33 games in 1982–83 under doctor's orders to play about one game per week. He played in 55 games in 1983–84, and a then-career-high 67 in 1984–85, by which time the Clippers had relocated to Los Angeles.[45][10]

"When you fail in your hometown, that's as bad as it gets, and I love my hometown", said Walton of his tenure in San Diego. "I wish we had NBA basketball here, and we don't because of me. It's my greatest failure as a professional in my entire life, I could not get the job done in my hometown. It is a stain and stigma on my soul that is indelible. I'll never be able to wash that off, and I carry it with me forever."[11]

On Clippers owner Donald Sterling, Walton commented, "The checks bounced higher than the basketballs when Donald Sterling took over. The basketball was awful, and the business side was immoral, dishonest, corrupt, and illegal. Other than that, it was all fine."[11]

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Walton was the best all around center I’ve seen at the college level and he was on his way to making that same mark in the NBA before the foot injuries derailed his career.  Scoring, rebounding, passing, and blocking shots. When he was healthy there was nobody better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

UCLA is still in the softball tourney, with pac on their uni. 

I want Texas to win the title, of course. But if we don't, I hope UCLA does. And then dedicates it to Bill. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

This is really sad. I still can't believe that he had to play

freshman ball at UCLA. The next year I think it was, UCLA played

Memphis State in the finals. WE beat MSU earlier in the year but

they were really good. Walton may have had the greatest game in 

college history. I think that he was 22-23 or something close from the field.

Amazing. RIP.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2