Counting macros?

Eat 750 or less calories a day until goal weight. Then eat 1000 1250 1500 for a week at a time until you maintain x weight. That's your new caloric intake for ideal weight. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pokoloco said:

I'm dumb.  Macros are just calories from proteins, carbs, fat? There's not a number like...a piece of chicken has x number of "macros". 

You weigh/measure your food and log it.  

11 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Ok, so I weigh a piece of chicken. what does that tell me?  10oz of chicken is what?

Get an app like My Fitness Pal or similar.  You put in 10 oz chicken breast and it will give you the macros and calories for that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, immamac said:

Eat 750 or less calories a day until goal weight. Then eat 1000 1250 1500 for a week at a time until you maintain x weight. That's your new caloric intake for ideal weight. 

750 calories a day is insane even for a petite, sedentary woman. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

Explain to me like I'm 5.

Female, 5'0"  weighs 125, wants to weigh 115.  How many macros in a day? 

Macro is short for macronutrients, of which there are only three: Carbohydrates, Fat and Protein.  When people talk about counting macros or staying within their macros, they're talking about watching what they eat to keep the percentage of the three macros within a range they've selected.  The flipside of marcos is micronutrients: vitamins and minerals.  Micronutrients can contribute to health, but unless you are very unhealthy, they don't really play much part in weight-loss.

Ultimately, weightless is not controlled by macros, it's controlled by eating in a calorie deficit. If a person did nothing but wake up and sit in a chair all day, their "Resting Metabolic Rate" will still burn between 1600-2400 calories for men and 1200-1800 calories for women.   If you're active throughout the day that number will go up slightly, but painfully slow.   A mile walk for example may only burn an additional 100 calories. 

To lose weight it's as 'simple' as eating less.  Except that's really hard. 

The reason there are so many diets is because eating less can be mind-bendingly difficult for a most people.  Having an option to 'each as much chicken as you want' or 'all veggies are free', are just tools weight-loss programs use to make it psychologically easier to eat in a calorie deficit.

One simple way to lose weight would be to:  

1. Track everything you eat in the Myfitnesspal app for a week, but don't try and cut food.  Assuming you didn't gain weight, that helps you zero in on your daily calorie requirement.
  2. For the next week, come down about 200 calories from the week-1 average.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's not the way chicks do it now.  First, you get liposuction and have 15 pounds of fat sucked out of your belly/  Then you have 5 pounds of that fat injected into your lips.

She wants to get on the shot. But she'll lose dat ass and her face will droop. We can't have that.

There’s no way to say this without sounding ugly, but if your friend lacks the self discipline and motivation to drop ten pounds without the shot then the shot ain’t for her. Nevermind that the shot wasn’t designed for people wanting to lose a negligible amount of weight.

13 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Learning all about counting macros in order to explain to your wife how to drop weight is a inherently bad idea.

"Honey, I learned on an anonymous internet message board how you can lose 10 pounds.  Hey, want to get frisky tonight?"

• Haha 1