Here we go again: People getting Bird Flu

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

He’s just passing on WHO’s statement.  I’m curious to see if the raw milk drinkers who are deliberately buying from infected herds get it.

I think his ALL CAPS embellishment finds no support in the WHO's release. They don't quite go so far as to confirm that he never had any contact with any animals.

Here's the part that came immediately after the screenshotted portion:

In March 2024, a high pathogenicity avian influenza A(H5N2) outbreak was detected in a backyard poultry farm in the state of Michoacán, which borders the State of Mexico where the case was residing

Additionally, in March 2024, an outbreak of low pathogenicity avian influenza (LPAI) A(H5N2) was identified in poultry in Texcoco, State of Mexico, and a second outbreak of LPAI A(H5N2) in April in the municipality of Temascalapa in the same state. Thus far, it has not been possible to establish if this human case is related to the recent poultry outbreaks (1).

So, two outbreaks in the same state where he lived. Wouldn't shock me if he had exposure to some bird shit, undercooked meat, or another vector.

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

Aggy has a large avian science department.  Has anyone checked them out as the vector?

Are you implying this is sexually transmitted?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/bird-flu-detected-in-austin-wastewater/

Austin Public Health announced Thursday that the Texas Epidemic Public Health Institute had detected traces of H5N1, or bird flu, in the city’s wastewater, according to a press release.

The agency said that the “risk to the public remains low,” and that no human cases have been reported locally. 

“The detection of influenza viruses in wastewater does not necessarily indicate undetected human cases,” APH said in its release. “Influenza in wastewater can also come from other sources, such as birds or livestock or secretions/excretions into wastewater from infected cows or other animals in the area.”

So far, one Texas farmworker has contracted the virus, according to the Texas Department of Health and Human Services. Nationally, two other human cases of bird flu have been reported. All three cases have had “mild illness,” according to APH.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Hey, some good news.  We also have West Nile virus again in Austin because stupid people leave out empty receptacles to collect all this Spring rain.  

I tested positive for West Nile antibodies during lockdown after having crushing neck pain and headaches for weeks. Doc said it was likely West Nile meningitis. DEET is your friend.

Edited by Deej

Yeah, a good friend I knew had that awhile back and said it was excruciating.  

I'd rather use DDT than DEET, but Rachel Carson had to get all mouthy on us.  

I don't want to discount bird flu, but it's a statistical rarity.  But mosquito borne illnesses are beyond commonplace all over the world, even here in America (we just better medicines/treatments to combat them). 

But just fucking blows me away in Texas after almost 30 years here, with all our humidity, people just leave empty planters/potters sitting out, kiddie pools, work buckets, etc.  For months on end, just collecting rainwater, serving as nightclubs for mosquitoes.  I try my best not to use chemicals in my yard because we're right next to a fair-sized creek and lots of kids/dogs in the 'hood.  But people can just start with the most basic of shit, don't create pools of water for mosquito breeding.  Really not that fucking hard.  

Full disclosure, I ate the bat in Wuhan.  And during a Ortolan Bunting dinner, I may have started this latest Bird Flu.  

The worst I've ever felt in my life. Headaches that were only relieved for 20 or 30 minutes by throwing up. lt was during peak COVID and more than one night I thought about calling 911 for a ride to the hospital, but didn't want to get exposed to something else on top of it

• 3 weeks later...