Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

6 minutes ago, petscii said:

You've posted that like 900 times since this has started.  It's a tad unfair to give him 0% credit for his success at Texas while giving him 100% of the blame for the failures. 

And it's completely fucking stupid to discredit any coach that is mentioned because of Pierce CWS appearances.

I'll keep posting it because some of the guys mentioned are far more successful than Pierce was at his time of hiring. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not worth the program upheaval to fire him and hire someone else that doesn’t even have more of a history of success. 

It's extremely rare to hire a coach with the track record of, say, Augie Garrido.  Let's say we wait a year and Texas finishes mid-pack in the SEC, fails to host a regional and ultimately fails to advance out of the regional we are saddled with.  What coach is going to magically reveal themselves in that timeframe?  It will be the same crew.  There are no perfect choices. 

What you hope is that CDC can identify the Sarks distinct from the Charlies and Toms.  That choice will not be substantially different one year from today.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, petscii said:

You've posted that like 900 times since this has started.  It's a tad unfair to give him 0% credit for his success at Texas while giving him 100% of the blame for the failures. 

I don't think that's the point in this context.  Instead, it's that even a middling Coach like Pierce, bereft of a phenomenal prior track record, can have success here.  It's much easier to recruit great baseball talent at Texas than at, say, Tulane or Michigan.  

Insisting that we can't improve upon Pierce because some of his potential replacements don't have the same track record he does at Texas is silly.  I think that's the argument he is responding to.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I Like Tony Vitello...I know a lot of y'all hate him, but he fucks!! Young (45) and he's a great recruiter and knows how to  build a roster.

I've come around on him, like I have Lane Kiffin. 

I think he could fully weaponize our reputation as the villains of college athletics.  Big bad Texas with some swag. 

• Hook 'Em 7

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's extremely rare to hire a coach with the track record of, say, Augie Garrido.  Let's say we wait a year and Texas finishes mid-pack in the SEC, fails to host a regional and ultimately fails to advance out of the regional we are saddled with.  What coach is going to magically reveal themselves in that timeframe?  It will be the same crew.  There are no perfect choices. 

What you hope is that CDC can identify the Sarks distinct from the Charlies and Toms.  That choice will not be substantially different one year from today.

3rd place Sark is better than 3rd place Pierce. 

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Vitello already making 1.5 mil… gonna have to make him maybe the highest paid cbb coach in america to even have a shot

Oh no, where would we get the money?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On surface seems like a douche to our fan base.

His players have a lot of fun and celebrate.

Although watching Miss St this year they make Tennessee players seem like saints.

Then, that should be a wash.  That’s how most fan bases view us.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Has he ever won a game in Omaha?

Trait, traits, traits.

If you are looking for a coach who has never underperformed once in his career or never lost a game he shouldn't have lost, we might as well just fold the program. Tennessee was NOTHING before Vitello took over and now we are complaining about their performances in Omaha?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Don’t know if he be interested but I’d look at Josh Holliday.

Lot of pressure on Holliday to win his Regional at home today vs Gata... Last Super for him and okie lite was 2019

Screenshot_20240603-095955_kindlephoto-2646508.png.3b6fd5eac953adcbc5cac45b2268cd40.png

I fully understand the PTPPD (post traumatic Patterson/Perrin disorder) but some of yall need to CHILL. We have the country’s best AD running the show and his coaching hire hit rate at Texas has been impeccable. If Beard didn’t torpedo himself being a fucking asshole, people would be a lot less nervous. But there isn’t an “interim coach takes Texas to the CWS” scenario to worry about. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)

Re Vit ...

yeah like I said earlier his pressers he sounds fine and good. he and DVH are in a massive pissing match but again, DVH is a fucking manchild whiny little bitch (he coached Nebraska and now Arky, what do you expect?) and was in a pissing match for a while with Augie. Augie was no saint, so I don't need one now. Vit has gotten into minor trouble (looks like a minor recruiting violation and has been tossed for getting heated with umps) but he seems very hungry and aggressive.  as for reputation among fanbases out there? meh, SEC gonna ratchet that shit up to 11 because (1) we won't assimilate, (2) we will win, and (3) they too are whiny little bitches.

Vit is the up and comer and he's out performed at Tenn.

so tell him to ditch the masserati and get himself a Ferrari and come to Texas.

O'Sullivan is the tried and true if you want to grab a proven winner.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, D3zii said:

What's your reasoning of wanting to keep Pierce?? just wondering if thats what you want to do??

I understand the desire to make a change, but here are my reasons why I think it is not a disaster to wait one year

1. none of the names listed really jump out to me as "he is the guy" even O’Sullivan because he turned down Texas in the past prior to getting a new stajium at Florida.....and Holiday that was mentioned is again an alumni of OkState and has been there a long time.....which gets me to my next point

2. pretty much all the coaches that do have some proven credentials have been at their programs for a decade or longer....Florida, ECU, OkState, Duke, the Vandy coach (not yet mentioned)

Vaughn at Alabama has been there one year and was at Maryland for 7 seasons with one the covid season and his record is NCAA Regionals.....he looks like Pierce only he has done that in the ACC and SEC SEC SEC not the Southland and AAC

Schloss is retired this is his "get the money" year....I like the guy, but he is not going to fit at Texas and I do not think even the magic of Del could get that to work with their prior relationship

so when you are looking at guys that have been in the ACC, SEC SEC SEC, and other places that play good baseball for a decade or more and they are not really jumping out at you or showing marked better success than Pierce I think it shows maybe Texas needs to take at least another year

3. Pierce was not hired under optimal circumstances (God Texas fucking says that a lot with the major mens sports)......Augie did not leave a top program in place.....there were the issues with the Augie leaving.....and the same exact shit with the potential hire was going on....money whipping someone......finding a guy that was pissed off because facilities had not improved (Florida)......same shit different year

4. I am not excited about introducing a new guy while also moving into a new conference.....I think that can make player evaluation more difficult and I think there can be some "logistics" issues like staying at the wrong Holiday Inn on the road or eating at the wrong restaurants or whatever that might need to be figured out.....it is not like SEC SEC SEC schools are located in places where you have a lot of can't miss choices for team accommodations.....I would rather give a new guy the best chance possible especially when so far most of the candidates are reaches, just fucking pay the bitch, put Texas on him and he will do better

my major issues with Pierce are poor regular season play and the fact that there is an improvement for the team getting "up" for the NCAAs, but there is still a feeling of "just over matched and not going all the way"......based on pitching not being deep and a lack of power hitting......but I am not sure that gets corrected easily or quickly with a coaching change.....but he has had time to change it and has not....at this point I would rather see a 32yo guy that can find shit loads of pitching and get an 80yo guy that has seen it all to sit on the bench next to him, stand at third base sometimes,  and keep him from fucking things up and to go yell at the umpires and then find another guy that can teach them to hit the shit out of the ball and that is all he does and game day he mostly eats hotdogs and snow cones

#3 is dumb.  He was hired 8 years ago.  Why even bring up that he was not hired until optimal circumstances? 

#4 is highly highly regarded.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

2. pretty much all the coaches that do have some proven credentials have been at their programs for a decade or longer....Florida, ECU, OkState, Duke, the Vandy coach (not yet mentioned)

This is a non-issue. Mack was at UNC for a decade before coming here. Augie was at CSF for 15 years and took the Illinois job before going back there and then here.

Coaches leave their long time jobs all the time for a bigger and better opportunity - and it's a heck of a lot easier to win at Texas than it is at the vast majority of other jobs including most of the ones you listed.

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is a non-issue. Mack was at UNC for a decade before coming here. Augie was at CSF for 15 years and took the Illinois job before going back there and then here.

Coaches leave their long time jobs all the time for a bigger and better opportunity - and it's a heck of a lot easier to win at Texas than it is at the vast majority of other jobs including most of the ones you listed.

White was at Oregon for 9 years

Schaefer was at MSST for 8 years

Bowman was at ASU for 10 years

Floreal was at Kentucky for 6 years and he moved to Kentucky from Stanford after 14 years

The new women's golf coach was at Arizona for 14 years

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

#3 is dumb.  He was hired 8 years ago.  Why even bring up that he was not hired until optimal circumstances? 

#4 is highly highly regarded.  

because people are listing coaches that have been at their alma mater for a decade or more and that have only recently started to do anything of significance as coaches that will come right into Texas and immediately start going to the CWS consistently

or they are listing coaches that have been at major programs for a decade and have only recently started to go to a super regional and have not been to a CWS or have been one time

the idea seems to be "well he did that a place that is not Texas so he will have to do better here because, Texas"......and the idea seems to be to ignore that he was given a very long leash where he is now to finally produce......but that same leash will not be given at Texas just like it is not given to Pierce that has out produced most of those guys already while at Texas

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

White was at Oregon for 9 years

Schaefer was at MSST for 8 years

Bowman was at ASU for 10 years

Floreal was at Kentucky for 6 years and he moved to Kentucky from Stanford after 14 years

The new women's golf coach was at Arizona for 14 years

And she just signed an extension last year lol.

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

because people are listing coaches that have been at their alma mater for a decade or more and that have only recently started to do anything of significance as coaches that will come right into Texas and immediately start going to the CWS consistently

or they are listing coaches that have been at major programs for a decade and have only recently started to go to a super regional and have not been to a CWS or have been one time

the idea seems to be "well he did that a place that is not Texas so he will have to do better here because, Texas"......and the idea seems to be to ignore that he was given a very long leash where he is now to finally produce......but that same leash will not be given at Texas just like it is not given to Pierce that has out produced most of those guys already while at Texas

It doesn't matter how long they been at their Alma mater....for instance the ECU guy. He's making less than 500k a year coaching there. If Texas offers him double that you don't turn down a job at a baseball school like Texas because "muh alma mater" especially when alma mater is ECU.

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I am not arguing the issue is "getting them to leave" what I am saying is if you look at a lot of the guys listed it took them a LONG time to get their program where it is today and they are not going to get that length of time at Texas.....and in the current environment I am not sure I fully buy into the "it is easier to win at Texas than those places" especially when Texas gives you 4 or 5 seasons to get your shit together before your ass starts to feel like it is on fire

I think across all college sports we are seeing coaches hesitant to make a move to a place where "should be easier to win" and your ass will be on fire by year 3 to 5 vs. staying where they are and having a lot longer career......go through the same exercise with Texas Basketball.....same fucking thing....."this guy is a can't miss".....oh wait they just turned Texas down....oh wait this guy did too.....oh fuck this guy sucks balls.....oh fuck this guy is a drunk with a crazy ass bitch GF

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I am not arguing the issue is "getting them to leave" what I am saying is if you look at a lot of the guys listed it took them a LONG time to get their program where it is today and they are not going to get that length of time at Texas.....and in the current environment I am not sure I fully buy into the "it is easier to win at Texas than those places" especially when Texas gives you 4 or 5 seasons to get your shit together before your ass starts to feel like it is on fire

I think across all college sports we are seeing coaches hesitant to make a move to a place where "should be easier to win" and your ass will be on fire by year 3 to 5 vs. staying where they are and having a lot longer career......go through the same exercise with Texas Basketball.....same fucking thing....."this guy is a can't miss".....oh wait they just turned Texas down....oh wait this guy did too.....oh fuck this guy sucks balls.....oh fuck this guy is a drunk with a crazy ass bitch GF

You're trying to compare programs without the resources and prestige that Texas has, especially in modern college athletics and apply them to this hire. It's not a good argument. Because it took X coach at his alma mater 3-4 years to build before NIL/transfer portal is not very relevant to the game now days. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

On surface seems like a douche to our fan base.

His players have a lot of fun and celebrate.

Although watching Miss St this year they make Tennessee players seem like saints.

It’s more than that. He loses his composure and so do his teams. It’s cost them on more than one occasion. They lost their super a couple years ago because he couldn’t keep his head.

That said, of all the potential replacements, he is the most qualified imo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

okay I get you, but honestly Rather it’s this year or next who’s really going to become available???? It’s not like a new crop of coaches are going to become available next year if we wait. If you can do it make the move if not, then I get it. I do believe CDC won’t make a move if he can’t get who he want. 

I say we just sit back and let him work, as far as I know he hasn’t made a bad hire yet 

Edited by D3zii
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You're trying to compare programs without the resources and prestige that Texas has, especially in modern college athletics and apply them to this hire. It's not a good argument. Because it took X coach at his alma mater 3-4 years to build before NIL/transfer portal is not very relevant to the game now days. 

again I am not happy that Pierce has not addressed some issues....I get the thought that if he has not done it by now who in the fuck thinks he ever will

but the fucking guy has been to the CWS 3 times in 7 seasons (no NCAAs in the covid year).......and again I will be the first to say every one of those years felt like "well shit this is Texas, this team finally looked in the fucking mirror and fucking figured that out"......but in general the teams felt over matched and not capable of going all the way

but what other guy that Texas is looking at has been to the CWS 3 times in 7 seasons and I think with the NIL and "Texas" I would rather take a chance right now on Pierce fucking figuring it out for one more year vs. hiring in guys from other places that are no slouches in baseball and then expecting them to improve over their long past record based on "at Texas"

2 minutes ago, D3zii said:

okay I get you, but hones Rather it’s this year or next who’s really going to become available???? It’s not like a new crop of coaches are going to become available next year if we wait. If you can do it make the move if not, then I get it. I do believe CDC won’t make a move if he can’t get who he want. 

I say we just sit back and let him work, as far as I know he hasn’t made a bad hire yet 

I share that concern.....but I think if the Oregon State, ECU, Tennessee, Alabama, or any of the others mentioned are available this year with the possible exception of the Florida coach they will be available next year as well even if it cost more money and cost another year added to their contract to come here......and I think the wait to see what the Oregon State guy can do under adverse circumstances, if ECU is really building something, if the Alabama coach can progress, and if the Tennessee coach does not blow up are not bad waits to make

but I do trust Del......shit I like Schloss in general even with him at aggy especially since I think he is there for retirement and ice cream, but if Del hired him I would be on board even if it went to shit because it would be fucking with aggy and I figure Dell would have talked to him about how shit is at Texas

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

again I am not happy that Pierce has not addressed some issues....I get the thought that if he has not done it by now who in the fuck thinks he ever will

but the fucking guy has been to the CWS 3 times in 7 seasons (no NCAAs in the covid year).......and again I will be the first to say every one of those years felt like "well shit this is Texas, this team finally looked in the fucking mirror and fucking figured that out"......but in general the teams felt over matched and not capable of going all the way

but what other guy that Texas is looking at has been to the CWS 3 times in 7 seasons and I think with the NIL and "Texas" I would rather take a chance right now on Pierce fucking figuring it out for one more year vs. hiring in guys from other places that are no slouches in baseball and then expecting them to improve over their long past record based on "at Texas"

Pierce has had 8 years to figure it out....he hasn't. especially in the new NIL+Portal landscape. 

He has regressed every year since 2022.

image.png.5103a977954fd3e54dd993eb5cb93b21.png

Do you think Pierce will be competitive in the SEC? He's like 21-31 vs SEC teams during his tenure at Texas. Staying with a coach just because is not a good reason to stay with a coach especially while you're throwing out every excuse in the book to not look at other candidates. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

He has been here 8 years, had repeated staff turnover and made himself pitching coach. 
He has underperformed at CWS when he’s made it, lost multiple games this season to “get T-shirts made because they rarely beat and/or take series from UT” and has lackluster donor/fan support and is flailing at NiL usage. 
What else do you need to see? A losing SEC record? He is at a point where he should be fucking peaking and instead his team’s are regressing. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

He has that already. 

True, I was talking next year but he has been boat raced in early season games vs SEC teams. 
Partly because he seems to have no clue what he has in his roster and uses early games to “throw spaghetti against the wall”

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?