Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

24 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Few mens basketball

The Florida football coach turned down a lot of jobs while he was at Louisiana until he finally took the Florida job.....he did not take the $3 to $4 million jobs he waited for the $7 million guaranteed for 5 to get it done in 3 years or get fired job

Dutcher San Diego

Fickell turned down a lot of jobs at Cincy until it was clear Ohio State was not calling and that moving to the Big 12 might be a bigger issue than he thought

Satterfield his replacement turned down a lot of jobs while at Appalachian State

O'Sullivan turned Texas down in the past

how many coaches turned Texas down before Smart was hired.....how many turned Texas down before Strong was hired

several coaches turned down Louisville and Kentucky for their basketball position

I am not sure Alabama got their first choice in football

LSU baseball had some coaches turn then down before they hired their current coach

a lot of coaches are not as eager to make the jump to the first "that is a way better job" these days.....the Florida football coach would have probably given up $2.5 million per year if he had taken some of those other jobs instead of waiting for Florida......if he had been successful there he would have still been in line for about the same money he gets at Florida.....if he was not then he is a very young guy with a long way to climb back up and with a lot less money in his pocket......when he leaves Florida he will not need to do a damn thing if he does not want to

when you get past football and mens BB and down to baseball where the difference might be "only" $1 million or so to make a big jump......well $5 million more ($1 million per year guaranteed for 5 years) at Texas vs. knowing you are good to go where you are for 7 or 8 years and your money will be bumped up every 2 years or so AND you can always make a jump is appealing to a lot more people these days

I think Shaka turned down both ncsu and UCLA before accepting our job 

18 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Alphabetical by last name would be my short list

Erik Bakich - Clemson
Mitch Canham - Oregon St
Cliff Godwin - ECU
Nick Mingione - Kentucky
Chris Pollard - Duke
Jim Schlossnagle - Aggie
Tony Vitello - Tennessee
Tom Walter - Wake Forest
Rob Vaughn - Alabama

I have eliminated Godwin from my list as he just lost to 4 seed Evansville.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t get the “let’s wait a year” stance. Who is going to be available in a year that isn’t available to Texas now?  Identify the right guy to hire, then hire him. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, troph said:

I think in terms of the number of fans in attendance, size and quality of stadiums and facilities, and confirmed budgets, Texas is probably 4-5th in the SEC. in terms of the brand quality and access to capital, top 3.

Attendance?  We're 5th in the SEC and 5th nationally.  Arkansas, LSU, MissSt, Ole Miss are ahead of us.

41 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Cross Godwin off. We already lose to 4 seeds 

Ya he's faded a bit lately.  We are 200 posts in and no one is even close to mentioning Hitler

Texas actually has a solid nucleus to build on should they not transfer. A new coach that can add arms can make a run in year one. Belyeu, Flores, Thomas, Borba, Gasparino….both catchers return with solid bats but I’d like to see us upgrade defensively.

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Texas actually has a solid nucleus to build on should they not transfer. A new coach that can add arms can make a run in year one. Belyeu, Flores, Thomas, Borba, Gasparino….both catchers return with solid bats but I’d like to see us upgrade defensively.

Galvan showed me enough to where I would feel comfortable with him being the everyday catch headed into next season.

Schuessler needs to grab a first base mitt or else he may be headed for DH duties again.

10 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Flores and Thomas are both eligible for the draft. I would lean towards both leaving, with Thomas being the most likely of the two. 

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMG_4278.jpeg

How many of the current head coaches in the SEC would we want?

Schlossnagle, Vitello, O'Sullivan, Corbin, Jay Johnson, Van Horn seem like upgrades or at least possible upgrades.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Van Horn is perpetual disappointment and would be like basically hiring another Pierce. 

*postseason disappointment

The guy has won the SEC West 4 of the last 5 years. As someone who continually points to Pierce's SEC record, I don't know how you can compare him to Van Horn.

(We also aren't hiring 64 year old Dave Van Horn, so it's a moot conversation anyway)

• Hook 'Em 1

Blake

Alright yall, first lets get these out of the way before moving onto who I'd take and why. I asked numerous people about the names you've seen a million fans say on message boards and social media.

1. Tulo (Director of Player Development / Texas) - Not happening. Not because they don't like him or because he doesn't know his stuff. It's just that he doesn't have experience. More on that later.

2. Jay Johnson (LSU)  - You can't money whip him. He has it made at LSU. No. 1 NIL program in the nation that rivals some schools football programs. He ain't leaving.

3. Tim Corbin (Vanderbilt) - Very comfortable at Vandy and he loves it there. He's the man there. He ain't leaving.

4. Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - No, not Paul Walker's (RIP) character from Fast and Furious. The Virginia coach. I've seen so many people name O'Connor as a replacement. While he didn't graduate a Cav, O'Connor has been there since 2004. That's longer than a handful of people on this board have been alive. He is VERY settled in there, as anyone would be who's been in the same place for 20 years. He will retire from there.

5. Dan Heefner (Dallas Baptist) - Not a fit at Texas, mainly for (his own) personal reasons. His coaching style (players in bed by 9 PM, can't leave dorm) doesn't connect with a lot of recruits. I know of one recruit recently offered there and he personally told me that "their rules are stricter than anywhere else I've ever been in my life. No thanks. Not even visiting because of that." He's a phenomenal coach, but it's just not the right one for the Longhorns.

6. Random JUCO/D3/D2 guy who has a phenomenal record and wins - Not happening. Coaching JUCO ball is so different than major D1 baseball. Deer in the headlights type reactions would be expected.

Texas wants a few things with this hire from what I'm told.

1. A proven winner.
2. A proven developer.
3. A fiery guy who connects with the players, recruits and the fans.
4. A guy with experience coaching high D1 level baseball who can navigate those waters and navigate them well. 

im no expert but that 4 line item description of wants sounds an awful lot like Vitello

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Blake

Alright yall, first lets get these out of the way before moving onto who I'd take and why. I asked numerous people about the names you've seen a million fans say on message boards and social media.

1. Tulo (Director of Player Development / Texas) - Not happening. Not because they don't like him or because he doesn't know his stuff. It's just that he doesn't have experience. More on that later.

2. Jay Johnson (LSU)  - You can't money whip him. He has it made at LSU. No. 1 NIL program in the nation that rivals some schools football programs. He ain't leaving.

3. Tim Corbin (Vanderbilt) - Very comfortable at Vandy and he loves it there. He's the man there. He ain't leaving.

4. Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - No, not Paul Walker's (RIP) character from Fast and Furious. The Virginia coach. I've seen so many people name O'Connor as a replacement. While he didn't graduate a Cav, O'Connor has been there since 2004. That's longer than a handful of people on this board have been alive. He is VERY settled in there, as anyone would be who's been in the same place for 20 years. He will retire from there.

5. Dan Heefner (Dallas Baptist) - Not a fit at Texas, mainly for (his own) personal reasons. His coaching style (players in bed by 9 PM, can't leave dorm) doesn't connect with a lot of recruits. I know of one recruit recently offered there and he personally told me that "their rules are stricter than anywhere else I've ever been in my life. No thanks. Not even visiting because of that." He's a phenomenal coach, but it's just not the right one for the Longhorns.

6. Random JUCO/D3/D2 guy who has a phenomenal record and wins - Not happening. Coaching JUCO ball is so different than major D1 baseball. Deer in the headlights type reactions would be expected.

Texas wants a few things with this hire from what I'm told.

1. A proven winner.
2. A proven developer.
3. A fiery guy who connects with the players, recruits and the fans.
4. A guy with experience coaching high D1 level baseball who can navigate those waters and navigate them well. 

im no expert but that 4 line item description of wants sounds an awful lot like Vitello

No Tulo!

Edit: Vitello with Tulo as an assistant would kill in recruiting. 

Edited by Levi

I think Texas fans overstate the value of personality traits.  We've hired John Mackovic and Tom Herman.  We've hired Augie and Pierce. 

We hire the guy we think can do the job w/o getting us in trouble.

I don't Vitello will be an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, petscii said:

Isn't Flores' little brother on the way to campus?   Might that get JF to stay a season?

They aren't related. The incoming Flores is from the DFW area. Jalin is from the San Antonio area.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, petscii said:

Isn't Flores' little brother on the way to campus?   Might that get JF to stay a season?

I haven't heard anything about that as I don't follow the recruiting that much as TEXAS signees have always been a crapshoot in getting them on campus.

While i would love to see them back, both Thomas and Jalin will be drafted. Just not sure how high and how much money thrown at them will be factor if they stay or go. Both playing with Tanner and seeing what happened with him (left a lot of money to come back) I believe figures in also. 

Edited by BillyGoatHill

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Lot of pressure on Holliday to win his Regional at home today vs Gata... Last Super for him and okie lite was 2019

Screenshot_20240603-095955_kindlephoto-2646508.png.3b6fd5eac953adcbc5cac45b2268cd40.png

SIAP...

Brutal, another home regional loss for okie lite today as Gata wins 2 straight over cowboys

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP...

Brutal, another home regional loss for okie lite today as Gata wins 2 straight over cowboys

And Gata shouldn't have even made the tourney.

Like one game above 500 in the regular season and 13-17 in conference. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I haven't heard anything about that as I don't follow the recruiting that much as TEXAS signees have always been a crapshoot in getting them on campus.

While i would love to see them back, both Thomas and Jalin will be drafted. Just not sure how high and how much money thrown at them will be factor if they stay or go. Both playing with Tanner and seeing what happened with him (left a lot of money to come back) I believe figures in also. 

I think a better situational comp would be LBJ. Tanner was coming of a major injury and only had a half a season under his belt. LBJ wanted to prove he could develop more and get a better grade which did not pan out for him. 

13 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Didn’t realize they were draft eligible sophomores. I don’t follow that closely enough anymore. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it depends on their age or birthday….something like that 

If they turn 21 before the draft they are eligible

I don’t think a fiery coach is important. It may not even be desirable. Bruce Bochy, Jason Kidd, and many other coaches have demonstrated you can win while also being relatively calm. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t think a fiery coach is important. It may not even be desirable. Bruce Bochy, Jason Kidd, and many other coaches have demonstrated you can win while also being relatively calm. 

I’d consider Pierce more of a fiery coach than Vitello 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

4. Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - No, not Paul Walker's (RIP) character from Fast and Furious.

No one was thinking that, Blake. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Levi said:

No Tulo!

Edit: Vitello with Tulo as an assistant would kill in recruiting. 

Has Tennessee landed any big portal players? We need to make sure we're getting a Sark and not a Dabo when it comes to roster management and NIL/Portal. Vitello seems like a young enough guy that he would get it. 

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Has Tennessee landed any big portal players? We need to make sure we're getting a Sark and not a Dabo when it comes to roster management and NIL/Portal. Vitello seems like a young enough guy that he would get it. 

Yes, Tennessee has landed some big time guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?