Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So the original statement I responded to said cdc won’t pull the trigger until

he knows the replacement.  In Herman’s case was that urban? Or was it always sark?

CDC’s role gets really overstated regarding the football hire. Money and Eltife were running that one and CDC was in the side buggy. 

That considered, I don’t think there is an analog for the football hire and it’s to be ignored.

What happened, however, is that talks started with Meyer and carried on for awhile. Herman viewed it all as bullshit until one of his assistants sat the guy down and told him it was real. He was stunned. He nevertheless wasn’t fired until the day they announced the Sarkisian hire, if memory serves. Meyer had nothing to do with it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

CDC’s role gets really overstated regarding the football hire. Money and Eltife were running that one and CDC was in the side buggy. 

That considered, I don’t think there is an analog for the football hire and it’s to be ignored.

What happened, however, is that talks started with Meyer and carried on for awhile. Herman viewed it all as bullshit until one of his assistants sat the guy down and told him it was real. He was stunned. He nevertheless wasn’t fired until the day they announced the Sarkisian hire, if memory serves. Meyer had nothing to do with it. 

Correct. They did not formally fire Herman until Sark was clearly on the hook. However, it was known internally (except by Herman) that Herman was gone months before, regardless of Sark, Meyer, or anyone else ultimately selected. There was no process where they thought about keeping Herman if they didn’t get Sark or Urban. Herman was done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wasn't Herman fired and hours later Sark hired? 

Seems like an odd example even if CDC wasn't involved. Either way, look at all the other hires. It's pretty obvious that CDC handles things behind the scenes before making a move. 

What about Beard, smart guy?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wasn't Herman fired and hours later Sark hired? 

Seems like an odd example even if CDC wasn't involved. Either way, look at all the other hires. It's pretty obvious that CDC handles things behind the scenes before making a move. 

You don’t remember that long ass urban courtship?  McRibs, horseshoe bay, drapes etc.  there seemed to be a moment were there was genuine interest but I tho k he wanted a shot in the nfl and wanted to avoid the nil stuff

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Finish that thought.

He'd have more advantages and thus perform better at Texas.

And it would be nice to host regionals and supers again which should be our birth right.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Finish that thought.

A lot of fans here just want to host regionals. They think getting to the CWS isn’t an accomplishment. And if you lose 2 games in Omaha? Forgot it. 

6 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Doing something? Like what? Not winning a championship? 

He has been closer to winning a championship than Pierce has ever been.

5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

A lot of fans here just want to host regionals. They think getting to the CWS isn’t an accomplishment. And if you lose 2 games in Omaha? Forgot it. 

Sure, lose 2 games, but don't get outscored 34-11 in 2 of those years. That uncompetitive.

• Like 1

Just now, WBT said:

should we not?

That would great.

Bakich was a 4 and 6 seed.  no CWS.

Pierce has gone to 3 CWS.

You think being 4 and 6 seed hosting regionals makes Bakich more successful than Pierce. You thinking hosting regionals is better than making it to Omaha.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He has been closer to winning a championship than Pierce has ever been.

Sure, lose 2 games, but don't get outscored 34-11 in 2 of those years. That uncompetitive.

Pierce has coaches a CWS championship team. bakich has not.

1 minute ago, Balcones said:

That would great.

You think being 4 and 6 seed hosting regionals makes Bakich more successful than Pierce. You thinking hosting regionals is better than making it to Omaha.

Bakich was a national runner up at Michigan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

That would great.

Charlie Strong has coached a BCS national championship team. Your point?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Bakich was a national runner up at Michigan.

Pierce won a National Championship at Rice. Pretty sure they beat Augie twice in Omaha that year.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Has he ever won a CWS?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sark won a National Championship at Bama. Then CDC hired him as our head coach.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I think Bakich will do better at Texas than he did at other places.  Just like Pierce has.  Do you think Pierce was about to break through and make 3 CWS if he stayed at Sam or Tulane?

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WBT said:

I think Bakich will do better at Texas than he did at other places.  Just like Pierce has.  Do you think Pierce was about to break through and make 3 CWS if he stayed at Sam or Tulane?

Are we saying Clemson is the same as Sam Houston?

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Pierce won a National Championship at Rice. Pretty sure they beat Augie twice in Omaha that year.

Has he ever won a CWS?

If we're counting assistants, there's about 40 other coaches who have won a national championship since David fucking pierce has.

Let's hire one of those guys!11!!1!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, cochamps said:

The 2003 Rice Owls won on the strength of three great startng pitchers and a star closer.  David Pierce was not the pitching coach.  So yeah, make of that what you will.

I still own wade Townsend in my Dynasty league hoping one day he puts it together. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

30 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I still own wade Townsend in my Dynasty league hoping one day he puts it together. 

He seemed like the best of the 3 at the time.  Humber had a better career, as did Aardsema.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Well, this next week is probably going to be pretty telling on where the coaching search has settled with Bakich now out.

I know you can't always get what you want, prying Tony Vitello away from Tennessee is probably going to end up in disappointment, but if you have 6 minutes, this is the energy this program needs with where we are headed next year. I get he isn't everybody's cup of tea but it is impossible not to see why kids love playing for him.

Edited by chase25

Like Vitello, a lot. If money and history, and a chance to put Texas back on track don't pull him to Austin, nothing else will.

Bakich and Clemson got badly fucked by incompetent umpiring. I'm not sure I would have shown any more restraint than he did - if anything, I'da likely been tossed when that first gigantic pussy-rubbing took place. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cochamps said:

The 2003 Rice Owls won on the strength of three great startng pitchers and a star closer.  David Pierce was not the pitching coach.  So yeah, make of that what you will.

This. Pierce is not the answer. Whether it’s Bakich, Vitello, Johnson etc it’s abundantly clear the answer ain’t Pierce 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

This. Pierce is not the answer. Whether it’s Bakich, Vitello, Johnson etc it’s abundantly clear the answer ain’t Pierce 

Yeah, can't enter next season with Pierce as Horns Head Coach

Using @Balcones methodolgy I went through and compiled a list of all potential candidates who won national titles as assistants since 2003 Rice. As you will notice we have a ton of candidates!

Cal St Fullerton - Dave Serrano, Rick Vanderhook, Chad Baum

Texas - Tommy Harmon, Tom Holliday

Oregon St - Marty Lees, Dan Spencer, Nate Yeskie, Andy Jenkins 

Fresno St - Pat Waer, Matt Curtis, Mike Mayne

LSU - Javi Sanchez, David Grewe, Wes Johnson, Josh Jordan, Marc Wanaka

South Carolina - Chad Holbrook, Mark Calvi, Sammy Esposito, Jerry Meyers

Arizona - Shaun Cole, Matt Siegel, Brett Scyphers

UCLA - Jake Silverman, TJ Bruce, Rex Peters

Vandy - Scott Brown, Travis Jewett, Drew Hedman, Mike Baxter

Virginia - Kevin McMullan, Karl Kuhn, Matt Kirby

Coastal Carolina - Kevin Schnall, Drew Thomas, Matt Schilling

Florida - Craig Bell, Brad Weitzel

Miss St - Scott Foxhall, Jake Gautreau

Ole Miss - Mike Clement, Car Lafferty

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, can't enter next season with Pierce as Horns Head Coach

I think if we were staying in the Big Twelolve, Pierce could get by another year, but heading to the by gawd ole SEC is entering a whole other level of college baseball. I'll take my chances with a few of these guys. They don't need to have been perfect before coming here. 

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?
  • immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach