Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

19 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Come on.

Kentucky had 3 dudes today that finished the season with sub .240 batting averages that started today.  One of those was in the 3 hole early in the series.  Anywhere from 3 to 6 homers.  Porter Brown had a better slugging percentage than all 3, better OBP than one of them.

NCState. Their 7th and 8th hitters in terms of ABs.  One hit .238 with 10 XBHs.  5 fewer ABs than Brown.  The other hit .224 with a lower slugging percentage.

UF can’t hit for shit.  Power yes. Their average is .272 with Jac at about .420.  Their 8th guy in terms of ABs bats .230 with a slugging% 50 points lower than Browns and a damn near equivalent OBP.

Just off the top of my head from last year, the Wake SS batted sub.230  and not sure he had double digit XBHs.  Ty Evans possibly UFs best post season hitter last year finished at .239 with a .302 OBP.  After going 9-22 with 5 of 9 Homers in the postseason.

Pretty sure every year teams trot out crappy hitters in the CWS.

As to your question, there could be several options.  If you believe the A&M staff is clearly better, then you have to believe they could get more out of several guys.  Galvan, Kennedy, Borba, Gasparino.  Not even mentioning the additional maturity.  And I’ll use Evans again as the example.  His average is 75 points, OBP up over 100 from last year.

I respect it

1 hour ago, troph said:

This is correct. Situational pitching is huge but like others have said the sub 2.0 era in augie’s tenure is now a sub 3.5 era prolly. You’ve got to score an average I’m guessing of 6 runs ?? to be at the top. If it’s higher I would not be that surprised. The days of winning 2-1 are a bygone era. It could come back - especially if NIL develops further wrt dominant pitchers - but not right now. 

I’ve put this out there previously.  It’s only an isolated example though.

OU was 23-7 in conference.  In terms of winning percentage that has to rank amongst the very best in conference history.  I believe it was only 1 game of all 30 conference games in which the winner scored less than 7 runs.  That was the very first conference game.

In terms of team ERA, there are 2 at the CWS above 6.  There may be 3 more above 5 then 3 below.  That’s ERA and not runs scored.  You can probably add .25 to .50 additional unearned runs per game.

Throughout the season you are probably at a minimum of 6 per game or more to be consistently successful.  That probably drops at the CWS because of the early tourney days off.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve put this out there previously.  It’s only an isolated example though.

OU was 23-7 in conference.  In terms of winning percentage that has to rank amongst the very best in conference history.  I believe it was only 1 game of all 30 conference games in which the winner scored less than 7 runs.  That was the very first conference game.

In terms of team ERA, there are 2 at the CWS above 6.  There may be 3 more above 5 then 3 below.  That’s ERA and not runs scored.  You can probably add .25 to .50 additional unearned runs per game.

Throughout the season you are probably at a minimum of 6 per game or more to be consistently successful.  That probably drops at the CWS because of the early tourney days off.

2/1/0

2/1/11

runs allowed in 6 games by A&M and Tenn.

Supers were much higher.

didn’t look at regionals. 

I think total team era is misleading.

So back to my point about situational pitching - if you don’t have guys that have the potential to lock down a game on the mound you aren’t winning it all. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

2/1/0

2/1/11

runs allowed in 6 games by A&M and Tenn.

Supers were much higher.

didn’t look at regionals. 

I think total team era is misleading.

So back to my point about situational pitching - if you don’t have guys that have the potential to lock down a game on the mound you aren’t winning it all. 

Situational pitching will always be important.  I haven’t looked specifically but would guess that all national champions won playoff games that were low scoring.

Team ERAs can be misleading but come this time of year I do check out teams pitching distribution.  I’ve touted Tennessee and A&M as having better depth than everyone else because they have multiple guys with good chunks of innings and lowish ERAs.  And within that you often have 1 guy that looks to be true #1 that can lock you down, like Prager has done twice this post season.

It also is a reason A&M was a poor matchup for us.  You compare them to ArKsnsas.  They won lots of games, but they seemed to have fewer options beyond Smith.  And Smith tailed off a bit at the end too.  They had less hitting.  And boom early elimination.

The playoff format is important in playing into pitching staffs and depth. We could be very competitive in a best 2 of 3 scenario but a loser bracket regional was a terrible spot.  It changes the dynamic of who we are at our best.

UF offensively is a bit like Arkansas pitching.  Jac = Hagen.  Then you have other capable guys, but they aren’t consistent.  They hit tons of homers but outside of Jac they do nothing well offensively. Put them in a bigger park in Omaha and you negate some of that power.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say I guarantee it's Vit or Schloss but I would be willing to bet money at a minimum at least one of them wants to talk to CDC after this weekend. It could already be done, just coach, agent and CDC know. It could be a convo still needs to happen and both say no and CDC has to go to a fall back who is no longer coaching so it looks like either Vit/Schloss said no or we weren't talking to them. But I cannot find any logic where Vit or Schloss are not in play as of today, I just can't see it.

Edited by troph

I really don't want A&M to win this but I would laugh as hard as I ever have if they did and the next day CDC announced Schloss to Texas. The one time A&M wins a national championship in a major men's sport since 1939 and the next day he leaves for Austin.

Animated GIF

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody hinted at an SEC policy about poaching coaches in conference -- is that a thing?  If so, we have a deadline coming up.

LMAO, as if they will ever restrict coaches from jumping to another school.

That's only for student-athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, troph said:

I really don't want A&M to win this but I would laugh as hard as I ever have if they did and the next day CDC announced Schloss to Texas. The one time A&M wins a national championship in a major men's sport since 1939 and the next day he leaves for Austin.

^Almost as funny would be if they lose, and he immediately leaves for Austin, knowing he has a better chance to win it all here, possibly numerous times in the long run ... and knowing he gets the added bonus of not having to put up with bizarre aggy nonsense.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somebody hinted at an SEC policy about poaching coaches in conference -- is that a thing?  If so, we have a deadline coming up.

More of a gentleman's agreement than a policy imo

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, WBT said:

More of a gentleman's agreement than a policy imo

Well, they're gonna hate us right out of the gate, regardless, so I don't care about "gentlemen's agreements" (except when A&M gets fucked over, because that makes me happy and I laugh).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wood said:

^Almost as funny would be if they lose, and he immediately leaves for Austin, knowing he has a better chance to win it all here, possibly numerous times in the long run ... and knowing he gets the added bonus of not having to put up with bizarre aggy nonsense.

Just think of the joy in this scenario when we win it all next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

We aren’t bringing in someone with no head coaching experience. And we shouldn’t even consider them. This is Texas baseball. 

So, you would have passed on Gus for the same reason? Or HC in high school was good enough?

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yes he would and should.  But are you ok if only get his Wiener?

Actually? Yeah, I think so. 

Y'all just fearful of being laughed at. We flame out on Schloss and Vit, we're already going to be a laughing stock for screwing around for a month.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I hope this is sarcasm 

Sorta, but not entirely. Is HC high school good enough for you?