Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I wasn’t aware it was still 1967? For fucks sake.

So HC in HS is good enough for you, but four years as Pro pitching coach and a year turning aggy pitching into basically top staff in college isn't. Oh, wait - you'd take him as a pitching coach, right? 

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So HC in HS is good enough for you, but four years as Pro pitching coach and a year turning aggy pitching into basically top staff in college isn't. Oh, wait - you'd take him as a pitching coach, right? 

A HC in HS is not good enough for me. Again, this isn’t 1967.

Yes I would take him as a pitching coach. That’s what he is. We are hiring for head coach at the premier program in the sport.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You miss on Vit and Schloss, who you got?

He's in the thread title. Or I circle back to Bakich. I don't not like Weiner AS A COACH, I just think that at Texas you go get a HC that has proven he can run an entire program.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Someone who’s been a head coach before.

10U baby. I'll do it for $1.8m per year. I'll hire any of you that can get me the job. cronyism, surly style.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

A HC in HS is not good enough for me. 

So, no Gus for you. 

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Just a guy who responds to everything with questions, I guess.

Is that an opinion, or just a guess?

3 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Scloss & Vit will be hired to coach 1st & 3rd base.

Might need a bigger budget... but sounds good.

39 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Actually? Yeah, I think so. 

Y'all just fearful of being laughed at. We flame out on Schloss and Vit, we're already going to be a laughing stock for screwing around for a month.

Sorta, but not entirely. Is HC high school good enough for you?

I’m not skeert of a bold move.

Was Vitello a head guy before Tennessee?  How many head guys have multiple titles?  How many have single titles then not so much?

Theres risk.  If the top two guys are off the board, then what? 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Was Vitello a head guy before Tennessee?  How many head guys have multiple titles?  How many have single titles then not so much?

Then other shit besides hiring someone without any experience happens. Get a fucking grip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

If the top two guys are off the board then hire the third guy. 

Posted (edited)

I feel like we see this in a lot of coaching searches. Someone name their one or two dream candidates then go off a cliff with their plan B options.

"If we can't get Vitello or Schlossnagle, I guess we'll just be asking Ty Harrington to come out of retirement to bridge the gap til 2026."

There are more than 1 or 2 guys who can big win at Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s not sarcasm. That idiot has launched a full on assault of tautological banality at this thread. 

Ooooh, look! Someone found his Thesaurus! 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Can you read? What year do you think it is?

Are you under the impression that lots of colleges hired HS coaches to run their baseball programs in 1967? When did that become unacceptable?

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Are you under the impression that lots of colleges hired HS coaches to run their baseball programs in 1967? When did that become unacceptable?

It was for sure more common then, especially very successful ones. These guys knew the local landscape, knew the other coaches in the state. You look at a guy like Gustafson, dude had just won like 8 state championships. Kids around the state knew who his teams were. Much easier to recruit back in the 60s with a guy like that. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

It was for sure more common then, especially very successful ones. These guys knew the local landscape, knew the other coaches in the state. You look at a guy like Gustafson, dude had just won like 8 state championships. Kids around the state knew who his teams were. Much easier to recruit back in the 60s with a guy like that. 

I'm thinking Max won't be having any problems recruiting. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Then other shit besides hiring someone without any experience happens. Get a fucking grip. 

Get a grip huh?  I’m pretty relaxed about it.  CDC is pretty good at what he does.  I trust him to make a well reasoned choice.  Previous head coaching experience is not a must have for me.  It’s fine that others feel differently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Im not downplaying the quality of Weiner as a candidate but I doubt we would just wait quietly for an assistant to finish the season. Hell, we hired Sark before the Bama bowl game and he did both jobs for a couple weeks

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

I'm thinking Max won't be having any problems recruiting. 

Maybe not. Maybe pitchers? I think you have a guy like Vitell'r get a head gig in the SEC without ever being an HC because he showed he can recruit. Weiner, has he shown anything yet but the ability to coach pitchers? I just don't think that's enough. Maybe for UofH or something, but this is by gawd TEXAS!

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Ooooh, look! Someone found his Thesaurus! 

It became unacceptable when Gus made this the premier baseball program in the history of college baseball.

Without knowing the field, I would bet there are literally (literally) dozens of current D1 head coaches who would be happy to land the Texas job, and who would be less risky than a zero-experience pitching coach.

50 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

He's in the thread title. Or I circle back to Bakich. I don't not like Weiner AS A COACH, I just think that at Texas you go get a HC that has proven he can run an entire program.

what if wiener blows the away at the interviews ?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, cmontexas said:

Im not downplaying the quality of Weiner as a candidate but I doubt we would just wait quietly for an assistant to finish the season. Hell, we hired Sark before the Bama bowl game and he did both jobs for a couple weeks

We're not waiting quietly. Schloss and Vitello are both in play. I have a strong feeling we'll be getting one of them. If not, I think CDC's apparently very close relationship with Schloss might see Schloss recommending Weiner. 

Yeah, it's out there, but I don't see it as impossible - I think more likely him than fucking O'Sullivan.

We'll know before too long, though.

Hook'em.

42 minutes ago, troph said:

10U baby. I'll do it for $1.8m per year. I'll hire any of you that can get me the job. cronyism, surly style.

I was a volunteer 6A assistant coach for many years. I can keep book and help shift the defense 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It became unacceptable when Gus made this the premier baseball program in the history of college baseball.

What??? First it's acceptable, but only because it was a long fucking time ago, then it worked, and so became unacceptable?

Never mind, then.

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

1. A quality wiener gets you places in life 

2. you’re not interviewing anyone SEC and still in the cws. Schloss has to notify A&M if contacted by any school, I’m sure the same for wiener 

Just now, TejasPedro said:

Too many are prematurely announcing Weiner coming to Texas. If and when he comes to Texas he will explode on the recruiting scene.

Hell maybe we should want him to come to Texas. It'd suck for him to go somewhere else just to later come ON Texas. 

Just now, Tex Long said:

What??? First it's acceptable, but only because it was a long fucking time ago, then it worked, and so became unacceptable?

Never mind, then.

You’re a moron dude. It is not acceptable for this university to hire a high school coach or anyone that hasn’t been a head coach at this level before. 
Yea we hired Gus from a HS, that was 50 fucking years ago. Things change, welcome to the world.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Without knowing the field, I would bet there are literally (literally) dozens of current D1 head coaches who would be happy to land the Texas job, and who would be less risky than a zero-experience pitching coach.

If you don't know the field, how would you know they're "less risky" than a guy who's built excellent pitching staffs in MLB and SEC for five years?

You don't know but you'd bet... Me too: I'd bet there are plenty of outfits that'll be happy to take your bets on things you know nothing about.

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

2. you’re not interviewing anyone SEC and still in the cws. Schloss has to notify A&M if contacted by any school, I’m sure the same for wiener 

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

• Haha 2

Just now, Tex Long said:

If you don't know the field, how would you know they're "less risky" than a guy who's built excellent pitching staffs in MLB and SEC for five years?

Because I'm not an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Dig up Gus.