Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

I just can’t see a guy who either won the national championship or just played for it turning around a few days later and leaving to go coach at his schools bitter rival. While that would be great and all, I put it in the category of wish casting.  I just don’t believe it. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Gus, Augie…Schloss does have a ring to being Texas gold.

"Disch Gusaugieschloss Falk?" sounds like it needs to go on a bumper sticker, ala those czech fellers with their "Jak Se Mas!"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I just can’t see a guy who either won the national championship or just played for it turning around a few days later and leaving to go coach at his schools bitter rival. While that would be great and all, I put it in the category of wish casting.  I just don’t believe it. 

Wish-casting is thinking you're the big bad Texas and can get anyone you want, regardless the circumstances (just winning a natty at an SEC school, possibly), to leave what they're doing and join you just because you're Texas. This is different, in the relationship that the said coach has with the other school's athletic director. Not that it makes it easy, it's still gunna be hard to pry him away and gun to my head I'd bet against it, but I just don't see it as "wish-casting." I guarantee you CDC doesn't see it that way. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I have been pretty skeptical of this too, but the one thing that gives me pause is that I think Schlossnagle and CDC have a type of relationship where he would quietly tell CDC to stop if he was wasting his time. No agents or middlemen would need to be involved. It would just be one friend telling another friend that the timing isn't quite right or he chose to stay.

Maybe that has happened and there is just a big smokescreen being put up, but considering I don't think Vitello is a serious candidate it really only leads to one conclusion.

18 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If he wins it all, he'll never be able to go out to dinner in CS without being swarmed by weirdos. Austin is big enough he'd still have some anonymity to have a personal life without worrying if the whole restaurant is going to come over and serenade him with the war hymn when he's trying to have a nice meal with his wife.  

image.png.2690776b3baf28a1b646dfec9b2b4304.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe that has happened and there is just a big smokescreen being put up, but considering I don't think Vitello is a serious candidate it really only leads to one conclusion.

I thought Schloss was damn near a done deal if he didn't go this far, but he did, and now I have a lot of pause.... but I pause on my pause because I think through back channels this might have gotten out by now, that Schloss won't entertain it. This discussion of Schloss/UT has to have reached the team. Maybe he told them he's coming back and every damn one of those kids have remained quiet. I dunno, tough to keep a lid on that many, and I'd expect something like that to leak out through at least one of them. But maybe he's throwing CDC a bone in some way? "I'm staying at aggy, bud, but I'll let my name hang around if it helps you out."

Edited by UncleBuck

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Wish-casting is thinking you're the big bad Texas and can get anyone you want, regardless the circumstances (just winning a natty at an SEC school, possibly), to leave what they're doing and join you just because you're Texas. This is different, in the relationship that the said coach has with the other school's athletic director. Not that it makes it easy, it's still gunna be hard to pry him away and gun to my head I'd bet against it, but I just don't see it as "wish-casting." I guarantee you CDC doesn't see it that way. 

While I don't follow baseball nearly as much as football, I have to admit that I didn't make the connection between the two until now (CDC and Schloss both at TCU).  I get it.

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

While I don't follow baseball nearly as much as football, I have to admit that I didn't make the connection between the two until now (CDC and Schloss both at TCU).  I get it.

Vitello was also an assistant coach at TCU when CDC was in charge over there.

He has connections with both guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

their prior employment relationship and (apparently) current friendship is the only reason it makes any sense.

22 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I thought Schloss was damn near a done deal if he didn't go this far, but he did, and now I have a lot of pause.... but I pause on my pause because I think through back channels this might have gotten out by now, that Schloss won't entertain it. This discussion of Schloss/UT has to have reached the team. Maybe he told them he's coming back and every damn one of those kids have remained quiet. I dunno, tough to keep a lid on that many, and I'd expect something like that to leak out through at least one of them. But maybe he's throwing CDC a bone in some way? "I'm staying at aggy, bud, but I'll let my name hang around if it helps you out."

Or maybe CDC is just helping his buddy get a big raise. 

200w.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

44 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If he wins it all, he'll never be able to go out to dinner in CS without being swarmed by weirdos. Austin is big enough he'd still have some anonymity to have a personal life without worrying if the whole restaurant is going to come over and serenade him with the war hymn when he's trying to have a nice meal with his wife.  

PM Sark: any restaurant in Austin; any.

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have been pretty skeptical of this too, but the one thing that gives me pause is that I think Schlossnagle and CDC have a type of relationship where he would quietly tell CDC to stop if he was wasting his time. No agents or middlemen would need to be involved. It would just be one friend telling another friend that the timing isn't quite right or he chose to stay.

I'm not convinced even if Schloss said "yes" that it's fully baked and out of the oven signed deal, I can very easily see Schloss saying I'm super interested, we should talk, I have questions, you need to have answers, but yeah I'm very much interested and that's where it is right this moment. That would take 4-5 days to iron out after Monday. Of course, that could lead to a no from Schloss and then plan B, CDC always has plan B. But it could lead to a yes.  My gut tells me this is where we are. I really don't think a contract/terms are all decided and it's done. I think it's still in process and if I was charging $9.95 I'd say, "all signs point to a CDC / Schloss conversation, both sides are interested, but these things can always take unexpected turns. What I do know is CDC is a consummate professional and he will get a guy he's 100% comfortable with. One thing is for sure, it's going to be interesting."

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

PM Sark: any restaurant in Austin; any.

football in austin is a bit different, plus sark is a flashy dresser and his wife is even more flashy (and hot). Schloss wears baggy high wasted jeans with braided belts tucked around the belt early 90's style and has that dad / granddad vibe going on. he could probably blend in just fine with some anonymity here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

football in austin is a bit different, plus sark is a flashy dresser and his wife is even more flashy (and hot). Schloss wears baggy high wasted jeans with braided belts tucked around the belt early 90's style and has that dad / granddad vibe going on. he could probably blend in just fine with some anonymity here.

I don't remember Augie having any problems with it.

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

with what, blending in? that's what we're all saying, UT baseball coach can find places he won't be harassed. Sark, not so much.

9 minutes ago, troph said:

It isn't even that he'd have to blend in. Austin is just the kind of place that mostly leaves people alone in public....at least it used to be. I don't get out downtown very much anymore so that may have changed. 

15 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm not convinced even if Schloss said "yes" that it's fully baked and out of the oven signed deal, I can very easily see Schloss saying I'm super interested, we should talk, I have questions, you need to have answers, but yeah I'm very much interested and that's where it is right this moment. That would take 4-5 days to iron out after Monday.

The best negotiators I have ever been involved with have all their ducks lined up before they make an offer; they anticipate what the target is going to want/need and include that in the original offer.  It's part of what makes the offer so attractive -- that they signal they understand what is necessary to succeed.  I think CDC is one of those guys, so I can't imagine him needing nearly a week iron things out.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The best negotiators I have ever been involved with have all their ducks lined up before they make an offer; they anticipate what the target is going to want/need and include that in the original offer.  It's part of what makes the offer so attractive -- that they signal they understand what is necessary to succeed.  I think CDC is one of those guys, so I can't imagine him needing nearly a week iron things out.

I don't think it is.  I know it is. 

I can't think of one hire - where CDC was 100% the sole decider (so not football) - where we were aware of who plan B was or whether we had to pivot to plan B. 

CDC gets his coach.  

22 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm not saying it's not done, I'm saying the two may not have had the full discussion yet, just expressed significant interest. If the work is done, great, if it hasn't been - because of the CWS - then it needs to be. fact is, exec comp deals take time. you and I don't know when it started but it takes time. an exec comp employment agreement would take time. plus the job isn't even posted, isn't there a public posting requirement?  having your ducks in a row, {INSERT DUMB AND DUMBER YEAH MEME}. logistically speaking, making a multi-million dollar hire takes a bit of time, we don't know where in the process things are right now, that's all.

30 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It isn't even that he'd have to blend in. Austin is just the kind of place that mostly leaves people alone in public....at least it used to be. I don't get out downtown very much anymore so that may have changed. 

I'll never forget when I was at Sullivan's, watching the parade of numbnuts morons walk up to Dennis Quaid at the next table, right after his hot $100 ribeye had just been served. 

: rage :  Let a guy eat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

If it is Schloss, and if A&M loses to Tennessee, that would be hilarious.  They would blame him being distracted (and us) for the loss.

They'd also say, with a straight face, while choking back the tears, "He just lost the CWS. Do not want anyway".

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, wood said:

I'll never forget when I was at Sullivan's, watching the parade of numbnuts morons walk up to Dennis Quaid at the next table, right after his hot $100 ribeye had just been served. 

: rage :  Let a guy eat.

We started my BIL's bachelor party at Sullivan's in 2002.  The adjacent table included Chris Simms, Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan, and the rest of Simms/Shanahan football crew.  No one bothered them at all, but they might be one tier of popularity below Quaid.  And it was 2002.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Exactly right.  He ate at Eddie V's and other joints all the time, and I never saw or heard of any significant harrassment.  

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

If it is Schloss, and if A&M loses to Tennessee, that would be hilarious.  They would blame him being distracted (and us) for the loss.

On the other hand, if they win and we steal him anyway, it would probably be the biggest dick energy move in college sports history.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

On the other hand, if they win and we steal him anyway, it would probably be the biggest dick energy move in college sports history.

It may be win or lose.  I mean who leaves on the brink of a title?

Then do they pull a Stoops and go with the pitching coach Lincoln Riley.

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

Who'd be stupid enough to harass Augie?  It's like jumping in the bear pit at the zoo.

Imagine getting that postgame rant thrown at you in the middle of the crowded bar at Eddie V's.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Schloss be dressing like spacer.png

Tony V looking like spacer.png