Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

Kendall Rodgers

Spoiler

The Texas Baseball job, one of the best in the country, opened up on Monday with the Longhorns parting ways with long-time head coach David Pierce.

Why did the Longhorns part ways with Pierce? Who are expected to be the candidates, and what are the challenges involved with hiring those guys?

Find out:

Why did Texas fire David Pierce? 

In one of the worst-kept secrets in college baseball over the past couple of weeks, Texas has officially parted ways with long-time head coach David Pierce.

Pierce spent the last eight seasons as the head man for the Longhorns. During that time, he led the program to three College World Series appearances, plus NCAA tournament appearances in all but one of his campaigns. Winning was not necessarily the issue Texas brass had with Pierce. It went well beyond the wins and losses.

I’m not going to sit here and throw Pierce to the wolves. After all, he has been fantastic to me and my colleagues throughout his coaching career. But I do know what concerns UT decision-makers had about Pierce.

First, constant staff turnover, as I pointed out in my column a couple of weeks ago, was a red flag to administrators. You had the firing of Assistant of the Year Sean Allen a couple of years ago, Troy Tulowitzki joining, leaving and then rejoining the coaching staff, you had the removal of pitching coach Woody Williams after just one season last year. And most recently, UT assistant Philip Miller took a personal leave of absence earlier this season.

That’s a lot of movement and instability for a program about to navigate the most rugged conference in all of college baseball. That is a very legitimate concern.

There also were concerns about the roster construction under Pierce. While now SEC rivals Texas A&M, LSU and Arkansas have owned the transfer portal over the past couple of seasons, the Longhorns, in almost every case, were on the outside looking in. They were not even a factor in some of the most important decisions. Some of that falls on the NIL operative, while most of the so-called blame falls on Pierce and/or his coaching staff. That might seem unfair, but again, that’s how decision-makers in Austin view this particular situation.

Looking ahead to next season, the Longhorns could be in for some painful moments in the Southeastern Conference without some serious changes sooner rather than later. Jared Thomas is likely gone, Jalin Flores has a chance to return but is more likely to sign at this point, and most disturbing to Texas is the fact that two of the Longhorns’ better players were back-channeling with other schools over the past few weeks looking to transfer out—further proof of dissension within the ranks.  

Again, all of these things are major red flags, and that’s without considering some of the details of an alleged situation in Arlington at the Big 12 tournament that Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman wrote about.

David Pierce was a winner, but he was not the one the Longhorns wanted to guide them into the SEC in 2025.

David Pierce, Texas (Eddie Kelly)

Who are the candidates? 

Jim Schlossnagle, Texas A&M

As they say, go hard or go home. This would be the hire that would send an incredible number of ripples across the college baseball community. Schlossnagle’s outstanding relationship with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte is something not to be taken lightly given the stakes. So, because of that, I’m not even close to ruling out the Schlossnagle possibility until Jim himself makes his intentions abundantly clear. Sources close to the situation have indicated for the longest time that Schlossnagle would not consider the Texas job unless the Aggies bungled their stadium renovation project. That project, which was originally supposed to be around $80 million, has had — I’m told — well more than $80M in pledges secured. The Aggies also have a robust NIL program, and getting premier players to A&M has not be an issue. Here are two more things to consider on the Schlossnagle option — this is just an opinion. If it is Schloss, why would Texas and Del Conte leak out that Pierce was fired on the day that his soon-to-be head coach was playing for a national title? That would make zero sense, even given the rivalry aspect with A&M. The other aspect of this potential candidacy is just the current situation Schlossnagle has at A&M. The Aggies are playing for a national title tonight and could very well be a preseason No. 1 team next year. Again, there are reasons for Schlossnagle to make the move — primarily his relationship with Del Conte — but the timing for it being him seems suspect. Time will tell. One interesting financial nugget on Schlossnagle: Should the Longhorns land Schloss, Texas A&M would be owed between $3-4 million from the Longhorns in buyout money, not including his actual salary.

Tony Vitello, Tennessee

I have no doubt the Longhorns will try to lure Tony into taking the job in Austin if Schlossnagle is a no-go. However, sources close to the situation in Knoxville insist that they are close to securing a new, updated contract for the ultra-successful Volunteers skipper. It’s not to say I ‘should’ know everything, but if there’s movement on the Vitello front with Texas, it’s something I simply have not heard about. Vitello is an outstanding coach, and he is essentially getting a brand-new ballpark. He’s an absolute rockstar in East Tennessee. The Texas job is elite as elite gets, but it would surprise me if he’s willing to give up what he has built in Knoxville. The Vols are on an incredible run.

Erik Bakich, Clemson

If Schlossnagle and Vitello are not options, Bakich would be my primary candidate for the Texas job. Bakich, 46, is hard-nosed and has been a consistent winner each step of his coaching career. In addition to leading Michigan to the national title series against Vanderbilt back in 2019, he has guided Clemson to back-to-back 44-win seasons, including two regional hosts and a Super Regional appearance this past season. Clemson athletic director Graham Neff would not make it easy for Bakich to leave, but he’s a candidate I could see giving the Longhorns a ‘yes’ answer. He’d be a fantastic get. 

Wes Johnson, Georgia

The one way that Texas can be an immediate big winner in the SEC is by hitting the transfer portal hard between now and the start of school. Well, Johnson certainly has that covered over in Athens. Johnson brought in several talented transfers last summer, and he/his staff are doing yet another fantastic job on that front this summer. In addition to that, Johnson tallied 43 wins, earned a top-eight national seed, and guided Georgia to the Super Regional round in his first season. Furthermore, Johnson is well situated for Texas’ move to the SEC. Besides his first year as head man for the Bulldogs, he had assistant stints at Arkansas, Mississippi State and LSU, while also being the big league pitching coach for the Minnesota Twins. A one-season sample size might be somewhat of a gamble for the Longhorns, but Wes would check some boxes. 

Skip Johnson, Texas

The former long-time Texas pitching coach probably would not be at the top of the list, but he would be a hire that plenty of boosters and former players would get behind should the hire be made. Johnson, 56, has spent the last seven seasons with the Sooners, guiding the program to three-straight NCAA tournament appearances, including a trip to the CWS Finals three seasons ago against Ole Miss. 

Rob Vaughn, Alabama

This is another candidate that I would at least take a gander at if I am Texas.  Vaughn, 36, has had impressive success as a head coach in short order. Vaughn, a Corpus Christi, Texas, native, led Maryland to three-straight NCAA appearances, including more than 40 wins two seasons in a row, before heading to Alabama and guiding the Crimson Tide to the NCAA tournament this past season. Vaughn would probably be behind a couple of guys on this list, but he is one of the best overall coaches in our game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Kendall Rodgers

Hide contents

The Texas Baseball job, one of the best in the country, opened up on Monday with the Longhorns parting ways with long-time head coach David Pierce.

Why did the Longhorns part ways with Pierce? Who are expected to be the candidates, and what are the challenges involved with hiring those guys?

Find out:

Why did Texas fire David Pierce? 

In one of the worst-kept secrets in college baseball over the past couple of weeks, Texas has officially parted ways with long-time head coach David Pierce.

Pierce spent the last eight seasons as the head man for the Longhorns. During that time, he led the program to three College World Series appearances, plus NCAA tournament appearances in all but one of his campaigns. Winning was not necessarily the issue Texas brass had with Pierce. It went well beyond the wins and losses.

I’m not going to sit here and throw Pierce to the wolves. After all, he has been fantastic to me and my colleagues throughout his coaching career. But I do know what concerns UT decision-makers had about Pierce.

First, constant staff turnover, as I pointed out in my column a couple of weeks ago, was a red flag to administrators. You had the firing of Assistant of the Year Sean Allen a couple of years ago, Troy Tulowitzki joining, leaving and then rejoining the coaching staff, you had the removal of pitching coach Woody Williams after just one season last year. And most recently, UT assistant Philip Miller took a personal leave of absence earlier this season.

That’s a lot of movement and instability for a program about to navigate the most rugged conference in all of college baseball. That is a very legitimate concern.

There also were concerns about the roster construction under Pierce. While now SEC rivals Texas A&M, LSU and Arkansas have owned the transfer portal over the past couple of seasons, the Longhorns, in almost every case, were on the outside looking in. They were not even a factor in some of the most important decisions. Some of that falls on the NIL operative, while most of the so-called blame falls on Pierce and/or his coaching staff. That might seem unfair, but again, that’s how decision-makers in Austin view this particular situation.

Looking ahead to next season, the Longhorns could be in for some painful moments in the Southeastern Conference without some serious changes sooner rather than later. Jared Thomas is likely gone, Jalin Flores has a chance to return but is more likely to sign at this point, and most disturbing to Texas is the fact that two of the Longhorns’ better players were back-channeling with other schools over the past few weeks looking to transfer out—further proof of dissension within the ranks.  

Again, all of these things are major red flags, and that’s without considering some of the details of an alleged situation in Arlington at the Big 12 tournament that Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman wrote about.

David Pierce was a winner, but he was not the one the Longhorns wanted to guide them into the SEC in 2025.

David Pierce, Texas (Eddie Kelly)

Who are the candidates? 

Jim Schlossnagle, Texas A&M

As they say, go hard or go home. This would be the hire that would send an incredible number of ripples across the college baseball community. Schlossnagle’s outstanding relationship with Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte is something not to be taken lightly given the stakes. So, because of that, I’m not even close to ruling out the Schlossnagle possibility until Jim himself makes his intentions abundantly clear. Sources close to the situation have indicated for the longest time that Schlossnagle would not consider the Texas job unless the Aggies bungled their stadium renovation project. That project, which was originally supposed to be around $80 million, has had — I’m told — well more than $80M in pledges secured. The Aggies also have a robust NIL program, and getting premier players to A&M has not be an issue. Here are two more things to consider on the Schlossnagle option — this is just an opinion. If it is Schloss, why would Texas and Del Conte leak out that Pierce was fired on the day that his soon-to-be head coach was playing for a national title? That would make zero sense, even given the rivalry aspect with A&M. The other aspect of this potential candidacy is just the current situation Schlossnagle has at A&M. The Aggies are playing for a national title tonight and could very well be a preseason No. 1 team next year. Again, there are reasons for Schlossnagle to make the move — primarily his relationship with Del Conte — but the timing for it being him seems suspect. Time will tell. One interesting financial nugget on Schlossnagle: Should the Longhorns land Schloss, Texas A&M would be owed between $3-4 million from the Longhorns in buyout money, not including his actual salary.

Tony Vitello, Tennessee

I have no doubt the Longhorns will try to lure Tony into taking the job in Austin if Schlossnagle is a no-go. However, sources close to the situation in Knoxville insist that they are close to securing a new, updated contract for the ultra-successful Volunteers skipper. It’s not to say I ‘should’ know everything, but if there’s movement on the Vitello front with Texas, it’s something I simply have not heard about. Vitello is an outstanding coach, and he is essentially getting a brand-new ballpark. He’s an absolute rockstar in East Tennessee. The Texas job is elite as elite gets, but it would surprise me if he’s willing to give up what he has built in Knoxville. The Vols are on an incredible run.

Erik Bakich, Clemson

If Schlossnagle and Vitello are not options, Bakich would be my primary candidate for the Texas job. Bakich, 46, is hard-nosed and has been a consistent winner each step of his coaching career. In addition to leading Michigan to the national title series against Vanderbilt back in 2019, he has guided Clemson to back-to-back 44-win seasons, including two regional hosts and a Super Regional appearance this past season. Clemson athletic director Graham Neff would not make it easy for Bakich to leave, but he’s a candidate I could see giving the Longhorns a ‘yes’ answer. He’d be a fantastic get. 

Wes Johnson, Georgia

The one way that Texas can be an immediate big winner in the SEC is by hitting the transfer portal hard between now and the start of school. Well, Johnson certainly has that covered over in Athens. Johnson brought in several talented transfers last summer, and he/his staff are doing yet another fantastic job on that front this summer. In addition to that, Johnson tallied 43 wins, earned a top-eight national seed, and guided Georgia to the Super Regional round in his first season. Furthermore, Johnson is well situated for Texas’ move to the SEC. Besides his first year as head man for the Bulldogs, he had assistant stints at Arkansas, Mississippi State and LSU, while also being the big league pitching coach for the Minnesota Twins. A one-season sample size might be somewhat of a gamble for the Longhorns, but Wes would check some boxes. 

Skip Johnson, Texas

The former long-time Texas pitching coach probably would not be at the top of the list, but he would be a hire that plenty of boosters and former players would get behind should the hire be made. Johnson, 56, has spent the last seven seasons with the Sooners, guiding the program to three-straight NCAA tournament appearances, including a trip to the CWS Finals three seasons ago against Ole Miss. 

Rob Vaughn, Alabama

This is another candidate that I would at least take a gander at if I am Texas.  Vaughn, 36, has had impressive success as a head coach in short order. Vaughn, a Corpus Christi, Texas, native, led Maryland to three-straight NCAA appearances, including more than 40 wins two seasons in a row, before heading to Alabama and guiding the Crimson Tide to the NCAA tournament this past season. Vaughn would probably be behind a couple of guys on this list, but he is one of the best overall coaches in our game. 

image.png.5d05bd241ae622d5a231b6de90daafcc.png

Skip Johnson confirmed

• Haha 4

My theory on the timing of the announcement of Pierce's firing is related to Kurt Bowels.  He wasn't gonna hold back on writing about the story, like others did, because he wanted to get a bunch of clicks at his new employer, the Houston Chronicle with an "exclusive" story.

Texas was forced to get ahead of Bowel's story and move up their timing of the announcement about Pierce.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My theory on the timing of the announcement of Pierce's firing is related to Kurt Bowels.  He wasn't gonna hold back on writing about the story, like others did, because he wanted to get a bunch of clicks at his new employer, the Houston Chronicle with an "exclusive" story.

Texas was forced to get ahead of Bowel's story and move up their timing of the announcement about Pierce.

I could subscribe to this theory. After all Texas writers tend to put themselves above the program for clicks.

6 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I think that’s exactly what happened. That story was breaking for the chronicle today.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Gerry (not about a particular candidate): 

"By done deal ... the firing of Pierce isn't announced unless there is contract signed by the new hire already. It's 100% done."

Yea, doesn’t sound like game results means shit unless winning causes the coach to say “JK lol”

8 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

smartest post today !

13 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Didn’t the press releases precede the Bowels story?

CDC picked today to go which makes me think it’s not Schloss

But also is there a need for all the secrecy around the name at this point if it wasn’t Schloss? Suppose we’ll see. 

54 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

5hhsbf.gif

I also tend to believe this asshole screwed up CDC's timeline... 

39 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Didn’t the press releases precede the Bowels story?

CDC picked today to go which makes me think it’s not Schloss

But also is there a need for all the secrecy around the name at this point if it wasn’t Schloss? Suppose we’ll see. 

Why not stick a shiv in Aggie side right before they play for all the marbles? I like it.

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach