Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Pierce isn't mediocre and I bet he will get another decent gig soon. 

Tulane has been bad since he left and he made the CWS 3 times in 7 full seasons at Texas. Obviously, that isn't the Texas standard but that doesn't make him "mediocre AF." 

UH, because it will probably open up once a new AD is hired.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Why do people keep saying we're Schloss's rival? Far as I know, he never had any connection to A&M prior to taking the HC gig. Is it stemming from his time at TCU? If so, he coached for like 10 years while A&M was still in the conference also.

unless schloss has some bitch against Texas this is all going to come down to where he thinks he has the best chance to win titles and to know his boss has his back.  The money will be good either way.

I know he was on the committee to hire Alberts but who knows what he really thinks of him.  Those committees can be a weird dynamic.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Mediocre AF at Texas, then?

Based on our standards? Yes. 

But those are insanely high standards. No other school would fire a coach with 3 CWS appearances in 7 years. Not that I'm complaining but I don't agree at all that Pierce is a mediocre coach. 

He's a good coach that can't reach a high enough ceiling at Texas. He'll probably have a school like UH in the mix for Big 12 titles. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Pierce isn't mediocre and I bet he will get another decent gig soon. 

Tulane has been bad since he left and he made the CWS 3 times in 7 full seasons at Texas. Obviously, that isn't the Texas standard but that doesn't make him "mediocre AF." 

Pierce had an almost magical ability to get his teams to play their best at the end of the season. Virtually all of his conference titles featured late runs from a few games behind for example. I sure wish we could bottle that and keep it on campus. That even happened this year. The Conference Tournament excepted, of course.

The problem was his management of the roster and coaches was mediocre. It would take him weeks into the season to figure out the roster. He never really got an elite supporting cast of coaches behind him. As a result every regular season was sort of meh. 

His puzzling inability to win the first game of the CWS was probably just a fluke.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

But those are insanely high standards. No other school would fire a coach with 3 CWS appearances in 7 years. Not that I'm complaining but I don't agree at all that Pierce is a mediocre coach. 

He's a good coach that can't reach a high enough ceiling at Texas. He'll probably have a school like UH in the mix for Big 12 titles. 

IMG_4361.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

unless schloss has some bitch against Texas this is all going to come down to where he thinks he has the best chance to win titles and to know his boss has his back.  The money will be good either way.

I know he was on the committee to hire Alberts but who knows what he really thinks of him.  Those committees can be a weird dynamic.

hmmm...a guy he has a long standing relationship with, personal and professional, or a guy he has known for 3 months?

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I don't live by anyone else's shitty standards. So yeah, mediocre. Valmy has outlined the problems with Pierce pretty well above, and didn't mention his pants shitting regardling the portal, NIL, and recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

THanks. You're right, my bad and my apologies. I read the quoted text Ricky posted as his post and saw Jimbo. Still, pierce is not a good coach. 

Meh. He's not a "great" coach, but he's not a bad one either. He can be good somewhere else. But "good" just doesn't cut it here.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Holy fucking shit, how could you possibly be more wrong twice in the same post? Jimbo Fisher literally burned two fucking programs into the fucking ground and cost them tens of millions of dollars. He's been violently hated everywhere he's left. We literally just watch Pierce be mediocre AF for almost a decade at a baseball program with the best resources this side of LSU's NIL. "good coaches." GTFO with this shit. 

also is Herman even a good coach

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, I don't live by anyone else's shitty standards. So yeah, mediocre. Valmy has outlined the problems with Pierce pretty well above, and didn't mention his pants shitting regardling the portal, NIL, and recruiting. 

I don't disagree that Pierce needed to be fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

THanks. You're right, my bad and my apologies. I read the quoted text Ricky posted as his post and saw Jimbo. Still, pierce is not a good coach. 

I don’t like Pierce because of his failings.  I didn’t like Herman because of his failings. I think the overall comparison is fair- both had a level

of success that was good but both could have probably been great in a timeline where they were not abrasive, know it all assholes that rubbed stakeholders the wrong way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

And aggy's storied history in baseball is different how?

Y'all are conflating what I said. I am not saying A&M has a storied history. I'm saying now that Vitello built a baseball also-ran into a power and has won a title, Tennessee is going to give him anything he wants. Vitello has a lot more incentive to stay than Schloss. Tennessee is (more than arguably) the top program in the sport right now; and not just because of the title saying they are.

Edited by MuellerHorn

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't use the term "insane" to describe our standards.

We go into California and hire a title-winning legend to be our coach. He wins titles here.

Now we're taking a guy hot off the final game of the CWS, from an in-conference, in-state rival.

We can literally hire anyone we want. We talk this talk in football, but in baseball, we walk the walk. We're the Joneses.

He’s a good not great coach. Always putting himself behind the 8 ball. I think at any program a coach can find themselves having to do more with less in a season, and there are a handful of reasons as to why it can happen but it became a trend for Pierce. That is not something that should happen at a place like Texas. Felt as tho the year to year expectations was too much for him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Herman had 4 top 25 finishes in 6 years at UH and Texas. A top 10 finish at both UH and Texas.

Man some of you drastically undervalue how many bad coaches are out there. Bad is Charlie Strong. 

It ain't binary, either/or. There's a vast continuous and multi-dimensional spectrum between "good" and "bad." Herman is not bad, but he ain't good, either.

18 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/id/XSR717-1719327220-sw-2769p

Since nobody knows anything, we might as well speculate about everything. 

So yeah, uh, there was a slight mixup, quite silly if you think about it. Schloss and Vitello have the exact same set of luggage, and Schloss accidentally grabbed Vitello's stuff when he left last night and nobody realized until he landed in Austin. CDC, being the classy guy he is, sent the plane to Knoxville to return it.

3 minutes ago, Levi said:

He’s a good not great coach. Always putting himself behind the 8 ball. I think at any program a coach can find themselves having to do more with less in a season, and there are a handful of reasons as to why it can happen but it became a trend for Pierce. That is not something that should happen at a place like Texas. Felt as tho the year to year expectations was too much for him. 

☝️

If you're at Texas, coaching baseball, you're going to win by default just based on the players that come here Because It's Texas. We expect titties because it's reasonable for us to get titties. And no, ok not fixing either of those typos, the meaning doesn't really change.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

It ain't binary, either/or. There's a vast continuous and multi-dimensional spectrum between "good" and "bad." Herman is not bad, but he ain't good, either.

You aren't wrong but I still view Herman as a good coach. 

We had 3 top 25 finishes in his 4 years at Texas. This was prior to a spell where we had 1 top 25 finish in 8 years. We were a dog shit program and Herman turned us into a top 25 program. That seems like the definition of a "good" coach. 

But we're just arguing semantics and we both agree that Herman wasn't going to reach a level needed at Texas. I view Herman as a good but not great coach. 

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Herman had 4 top 25 finishes in 6 years at UH and Texas. A top 10 finish at both UH and Texas.

Man some of you drastically undervalue how many bad coaches are out there. Bad is Charlie Strong. 

Herman lost at least twice in his 4 seasons to Maryland, ISU,  TCU, OU, and Okie State.

• Rage+1 4

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

Because you've never seen a miracle. 

Yeah, he sets the tone of the movie. So good.

Sorry ot. If you haven't already checked them out, there are 1 or 2 great animated shorts out there with Sapper. Good stuff. OK, I'm done now. /:sorry ot

34 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I don't really follow baseball outside of UT, so I'm going to ask this question and duck...

Why do most here seem to prefer Schloss over Vitello? 

I get Vitello hasn't coached as long, or won as many games, but he seems to have the more impressive resume after taking his team to the CWS in 3 of the 6 (full) seasons he's been a head coach... and winning this year.  Schloss has never won the National Championship.  What am I missing?

Largely my opinion on this. I don't follow baseball except to watch because its Texas or supporting a Texas professional team on a big stage. Best I can figure is Schloss is highly well regarded with his track record, and that both Schloss and Vitello would have been huge pickups. Schloss has the added benefit of fucking an in-state rival / conference mate(Rival?). Plus Vitello not likely leaving since he just won and will get his contract re-upped and likely anything else he asks for.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

There is no such thing as off-topic in the coaching search thread. The McRib out front shoulda told ya. 

Oh yeah, I forgot. Ain't no party like a coaching search party, 'cuz a coaching search party don't stop.

Now where are the boobs, bbq, brisket recipes etc?

Edited by wood

You aren't wrong but I still view Herman as a good coach. 

We had 3 top 25 finishes in his 4 years at Texas. This was prior to a spell where we had 1 top 25 finish in 8 years. We were a dog shit program and Herman turned us into a top 25 program. That seems like the definition of a "good" coach. 

But we're just arguing semantics and we both agree that Herman wasn't going to reach a level needed at Texas. I view Herman as a good but not great coach. 

3 top 25 finishes: AP #9 in 2018, AP#25 in 2019 and AP #19 in 2020. 1-4 vs OU. hell, he was 2-2 against Iowa State. Tom Herman had a lower conference winning % than John Mackovic and won 0 conference titles.

he was fine. but if he was a good coach, he wouldn't have had to take off 2 full seasons after Texas and would have ended up at a much better program than FAU when he decided to resurface.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

If we beat them in the fall. College station may wash away from the tears, just work its way down the Brazos until it spills into the gulf. 

Go on, I've had enough, dump my blues down in the Gulf
He loves you, big 'Horns, more than me

--(Almost) Johnny Cash 

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

he was fine. but if he was a good coach, he wouldn't have had to take off 2 full seasons after Texas and would have ended up at a much better program than FAU when he decided to resurface.

That's because there's a lot of baggage that comes with Herman outside of football. 

The same reason Beard is at maybe the worst historical P5 program ever even though he's a top coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach