Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Fuck outta here with that. It was a stupid question that the reporter knew would not and could not be answered in an acceptable way. It was to draw attention upon himself and whatever outlet he worked for, nothing else. It was bullshit, he knew it, and Schloss answered with the dignity and respect due to such a hack. 

It's a gotcha question, simple. Coaches don't like talking to the media to begin with, and then you ask them a gotcha question less than an hour removed from losing the final game of the CWS? Absolutely zero awareness of the situation by the journalists who ask these self-serving questions. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Disagree. He was fully aware of the situation and what he was doing. He fully intended to bait him.

Absolutely quite possible, I guess I'm just speaking on how I normally see it. I know these journos sit around their water coolers talking about this type of stuff. They can't wait to get back and hawk-tuah'd by their coworkers for asking the tough question, not really realizing why it's such a shitty question, and why they get the response they do. They just know they get it. 

He's killing this press conference.  Basically defused all the press conference stuff while staying positive towards Aggy while letting slip that it's obvious Texas is better.  All we need is for our coaches to win but it's nice when they can conduct themselves with aplomb.   

Poor OB.  You can feel the butthurt coming off him in waves...

• Hook 'Em 4

The post-game presser question - and the answer - is being beaten to death without rational responses... thinkable ones, but not rational.

Here's the deal: it is absolutely to be expected that such a question will be asked in such a situation. No problem with it being asked.

The best answer would have been a form of Lincoln Rileyesque lying-by-truthing, something like "Gentlemen - and Ladies - I tell you, unequivocally, that there is no truth to the rumor that Coach Vitello is going to Austin and I am going to Knoxville. I have neither the desire nor the intention of going to Knoxville. That's all I'm going to say about that. Ask me about the game we just played."

I don't fault Coach for the actual answer - even if his heart was on its way to Austin, I am certain that his mind was completely on the game, and aggy or not it was a devastating loss... hard to be angry with Coach for still being wrapped up in it less than an hour later.

• Hook 'Em 3

I have yet to see anyone explain the acceptable way to answer the question at the press conference.
"Thanks for the question. This will be my last game at Texas A&M, I will be accepting the Texas job tomorrow." - WHY IS HE MAKING A TOUGH NIGHT EVEN WORSE
"Tonight should be about the team and that is all I will discuss for now." - HE'S OBVIOUSLY HIDING SOMETHING, WHY ISN'T HE BEING HONEST
"No, I have no intention to pursue other opportunities" - LYING BASTARD
He was a little ruder than probably necessary (although understandable, given he just lost the CWS) but there's no acceptable answer to that question, given what was already transpiring behind the scenes.

It was an inappropriate question (it usually is). Hey you about to leave!? You about to quit your job?

An easy deflection “We’re not worried about contracts and transfers right now. Its been a long year and Im proud of our team. Even though we’re bitterly disappointed with the loss”

48 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

An easy deflection “We’re not worried about contracts and transfers right now. Its been a long year and Im proud of our team. Even though we’re bitterly disappointed with the loss”

That's why it's a gotcha question. "HE DIDN'T SAY HE WASN'T GOING TO LEAVE! HE'S SO LEAVING!" There really isn't anything you can say that won't come with you catching some shit. But you gotta play nice about it? Fuck those self-important assholes. 

The only answer is to say "I'm not going to talk about anything other than the game and players tonight" and just keep saying that. yes, everyone is going to assume that means you gone but only "I will be the head coach at Texas A&M next season" is going to make them assume anything else.

I like to think of the great orator Marshawneus Lynchateus "I'm just here so I don't get fined."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Horn80 said:

So from the very fucking beginning Schloss was upfront with aggy about his desire to be at Texas.  

If this is true, too damn funny.  That is also the reason you heard nothing from aggy AD.  They signed him up knowing he could bolt whenever he wanted but the dipshit fanbase never asked or looked to see if there were any exceptions to the standard buyout.  Is the contract public?

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

The best answer would have been a form of Lincoln Rileyesque lying-by-truthing, something like "Gentlemen - and Ladies - I tell you, unequivocally, that there is no truth to the rumor that Coach Vitello is going to Austin and I am going to Knoxville. I have neither the desire nor the intention of going to Knoxville. That's all I'm going to say about that. Ask me about the game we just played."

That would have been the greatest thing ever to see how texags covered it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

If this is true, too damn funny.  That is also the reason you heard nothing from aggy AD.  They signed him up knowing he could bolt whenever he wanted but the dipshit fanbase never asked or looked to see if there were any exceptions to the standard buyout.  Is the contract public?

This has been reported before. I think the clause actually provided for a different buyout if he left for another in-state school, but it's pretty obvious who they had in mind.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Whoa what?? You can do that? You don't just have to double and triple down and make a fool of yourself??

AKA the “aggy way”

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

It was an inappropriate question (it usually is). Hey you about to leave!? You about to quit your job?

I have no problem with the question being asked. I Schloss should’ve simply said he was there to discuss this aggy team and the game they just played and nothing more. Add in that he owes them that and that’s inappropriate to discuss himself in that context. Next question. Glad he apologized today, though.

1 hour ago, AbeFroman said:

Stupid ho

She’s terrible. Anybody have the old Barstool clip from Portnoy getting her to self-own herself comparing aggy to Texas?

12 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

This has been reported before. I think the clause actually provided for a different buyout if he left for another in-state school, but it's pretty obvious who they had in mind.

got it.  so aggy wants to sign schloss, schloss says I need an out for Texas.  aggy of course bows and says gonna cost a little more but we need to say "in state school" so we don't look like the little bitches we are and because our SW won't allow us to type "The University of Texas" into the contract.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

got it.  so aggy wants to sign schloss, schloss says I need an out for Texas.  aggy of course bows and says gonna cost a little more but we need to say "in state school" so we don't look like the little bitches we are and because our SW won't allow us to type "The University of Texas at Austin” into the contract.

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I have yet to see anyone explain the acceptable way to answer the question at the press conference.

"Thanks for the question. This will be my last game at Texas A&M, I will be accepting the Texas job tomorrow." - WHY IS HE MAKING A TOUGH NIGHT EVEN WORSE

"Tonight should be about the team and that is all I will discuss for now." - HE'S OBVIOUSLY HIDING SOMETHING, WHY ISN'T HE BEING HONEST

"No, I have no intention to pursue other opportunities" - LYING BASTARD

He was a little ruder than probably necessary (although understandable, given he just lost the CWS) but there's no acceptable answer to that question, given what was already transpiring behind the scenes.

I contend that Bohls had the story for several weeks and wanted to break it, but CDC told AAS to hold off.  Bohls then took it to the Chronicle which leans more aggy and used it to ink a contract with them.  If Z prick or any other Chronicle contributor had broke it, it wouldn't have gotten the attention that it did coming from Bohls.  Schloss was probably more upset about it being leaked than the actual question.  

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I assume the crow populationin the College Station area is on the brink of extinction.

They have more than enough grackles to suffice.  Not crows, but close enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I'm just incredibly impressed that they have one of these newfangled buyout clauses in this coach's contract.

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach