Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

Canham is an alumni and not only that from their two NC teams......the only thing I think gives Texas a real edge is that the PAC 12 has fallen apart, but the flip side to that is baseball is still a sport that G5 programs and programs that have little to no football (especially on the west coast) can still do very well in.....Oregon State can probably afford to pay him to stay in that particular sport if they want to and if they do not want to watch a similar situation to Oregon and Softball happen to them with Texas.....plus Texas and Texas into the SEC SEC SEC is a long way from "home" for him 

I would not be surprised to see Pierce get one more year.....similar to when he was hired there are just no home run hires out there right now

1 minute ago, ButtFumble said:

Canham is an alumni and not only that from their two NC teams......the only thing I think gives Texas a real edge is that the PAC 12 has fallen apart, but the flip side to that is baseball is still a sport that G5 programs and programs that have little to no football (especially on the west coast) can still do very well in.....Oregon State can probably afford to pay him to stay in that particular sport if they want to and if they do not want to watch a similar situation to Oregon and Softball happen to them with Texas.....plus Texas and Texas into the SEC SEC SEC is a long way from "home" for him 

I would not be surprised to see Pierce get one more year.....similar to when he was hired there are just no home run hires out there right now

If Pierce does stick around one more year, Canham could be ready to leave if Oregon State can't pull together a decent schedule as an independent.  

Posted (edited)

Alphabetical by last name would be my short list

Erik Bakich - Clemson
Mitch Canham - Oregon St
Cliff Godwin - ECU
Nick Mingione - Kentucky
Chris Pollard - Duke
Jim Schlossnagle - Aggie
Tony Vitello - Tennessee
Tom Walter - Wake Forest
Rob Vaughn - Alabama

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Obvious said:

If Pierce does stick around one more year, Canham could be ready to leave if Oregon State can't pull together a decent schedule as an independent.  

I would probably rather take that risk right now.......Texas can afford to roll into the SEC SEC SEC with "stability" (even at a level no one is happy with) in baseball of all sports......that is THE sport Texas can wait out a coach for a year or two and quickly recover from that even if it is a disaster to wait and see 

I think this post season is showing us that the SEC SEC SEC is not just a conference filled with massively dominant baseball powers.....it has some, but some of them have slipped up with their own coaching hires and what the SEC SEC SEC does have is a lot of teams that can get it done (sometimes in a major way) before they drop right back off

I think I would rather feel that out with a current coach than a new guy that is a long way from home and with a lot to prove especially one that would have to be hired in the "SEC SEC SEC way" IE just throw fuck loads on money at them until they can't say no and then eat that shit if it fails

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Alphabetical by last name would be my short list

Erik Bakich - Clemson
Mitch Canham - Oregon St
Cliff Godwin - ECU
Chris Pollard - Duke
Jim Schlossnagle - Aggie
Tony Vitello - Tennessee
Tom Walter - Wake Forest
Rob Vaughn - Alabama

Goodwin is an ECU alumni, has been there 10 years, and he was at LSU and Ole Miss in the past so they probably at least sniffed him when they changed coaches.....perhaps they thought he was not proven or he turned them down.....who knows, but he is another "tossing a shit load of cash because" hire and those don't generally work well

Vaughn is hardly proven unless you think sticking the Texas brand on him means he will make it out of a regional

Walter has been there 15 years and made it to two supers and advanced from one of those to the CWS.....in 15 seasons.....and that is A LOT of ACC and SEC SEC SEC programs that took a pass on that assuming he was ready to leave

Schlossnagle is baseball Jimbo without the douche bag persona, but with some "asshole" that will not sit well with Texas fans if he is not producing......he is retired at aggy and happy

Pollard is 12 seasons at Duke and has never been to a CWS.....I would prefer to take the risk on Pierce that has shown he can make a CWS with the "Texas brand" on him vs. a guy that we would be hoping could do that

Vitello is going to cost a hell of a lot for still a lot of "can he" and he seems to like being chased and getting the raises....I mean no reason to not make Tennessee pay more like LSU and aggy Jimbo......but not sure I want Texas paying more vs. Tennessee paying more to keep him

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Levi said:

If you’re going to put Vaughn and Canham into the list of names then you should put Mingione from Kentucky in there as well. 

I can agree with that....after all it's a list of names, not a short list. I added him

I fail to see the problem with Vit and the aggy rent a hire is a choice too, I’d think both would heavily consider. 

all the noise about Vit - first the bad blood between him and DVh, meh, DVH is a wanker and he got after Augie too. The suspension well if it was minor recruiting violations, who cares, in the grille of an ump, tossed? So what. He does drive a Maserati so his taste in exotic cars is suspect but that’s all I could find. He handled himself well in a few post game pressers I listened to, but in all seriousness I just spent 10 mins looking at him so what’s the reason for the hate? He’s got a long career in front of him and he’s teams have balled, a bit cocky but whatever who here has known a baseball team to win at a high level and the guys not be cocky motherfuckers? 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Goodwin is an ECU alumni, has been there 10 years, and he was at LSU and Ole Miss in the past so they probably at least sniffed him when they changed coaches.....perhaps they thought he was not proven or he turned them down.....who knows, but he is another "tossing a shit load of cash because" hire and those don't generally work well

Vaughn is hardly proven unless you think sticking the Texas brand on him means he will make it out of a regional

Walter has been there 15 years and made it to two supers and advanced from one of those to the CWS.....in 15 seasons.....and that is A LOT of ACC and SEC SEC SEC programs that took a pass on that assuming he was ready to leave

Schlossnagle is baseball Jimbo without the douche bag persona, but with some "asshole" that will not sit well with Texas fans if he is not producing......he is retired at aggy and happy

Pollard is 12 seasons at Duke and has never been to a CWS.....I would prefer to take the risk on Pierce that has shown he can make a CWS with the "Texas brand" on him vs. a guy that we would be hoping could do that

Vitello is going to cost a hell of a lot for still a lot of "can he" and he seems to like being chased and getting the raises....I mean no reason to not make Tennessee pay more like LSU and aggy Jimbo......but not sure I want Texas paying more vs. Tennessee paying more to keep him

Gotcha, so we just going to make every excuse about any name mentioned so you can say "we should just stick with Pierce"

And if DBU guy requires a Bible study I’ll be his huckleberry and lead it. Only two rules  - first no coaches allowed at the Bible study and second rule is really the first rule of Bible study for the players - we don’t talk about Bible study. 

PTL. 

now let’s go win

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Gotcha, so we just going to make every excuse about any name mentioned so you can say "we should just stick with Pierce"

well guys that have been at programs for 10+ years and that have done less than Pierce are not super appealing to me especially when you are going to have to buy them in

guys that have coached at places that have academic (academics still matters to some baseball players because there is a well established minor league system for the "get paid" types) and athletic resources and have not done a great deal are not that impressive to me

Augie had a pretty slow start from Cliff, but there was some shit there with the firing of Cliff and how that all happened, but the last 5 years of Augie were not exactly lighting it on fire or leaving Texas a solid foundation

I am not happy with some of the Pierce stuff, but in 7 seasons (covid season is meaningless) he has been to the CWS 3 times and a Super one more......do I think Texas was over matched in those CWS appearances and just got there based on "We Are Texas"......yes I do, but that is a hell of a lot better than some of those replacements have done in 8 seasons or a lot longer where they are......and if the idea is "Slap Texas on them and see how they do" well fuck lets just hire a yellow dog for a coach or Clay Henry the goat and roll the team out there and tell them "We Are Texas go fuck some people up"......or take a risk on some guy that knows shit about really getting pitching going because that seems to be the weakness for Texas lately and a lot of other top programs too

why hire the old fuck that is holding the young guy back.....hire the young guy that can get them to fucking throw we can always get him some old timer to explain the rest of the game to him and keep him from doing totally dumb shit

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Pretty sure they're playing in the WCC.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure they're playing in the WCC.

I want to see their schedule but they claim to be an independent next year.  That's going to be a lot of road trips.

• Drool 1

14 hours ago, Levi said:

He’s young and a disciple of Casey, winning a national championship as player for him. Before Oregon st, he was a manager in the minors so you can assume he can develop. At Oregon st, Canham has coached pretty well in the limited time he’s been there. I still think there are better names we should go after but if attainability is a high priority then Canham is going to get a call. 

Boy, if that's the "for" then the field is really not good out there.

I assumed CDC would have the ear of Schloss. 

seems like O’Sullivan would be a good pick.

Vit seems like an up and comer, already spoke about him up above.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

So is it obvious to anyone else that our best option is keeping Pierce yet? What a sad list of replacement names being floated around. 

What's your reasoning of wanting to keep Pierce?? just wondering if thats what you want to do??

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t see anyone else available with 3 CWS’ and a super regional under their belt.

Did you think it was the wrong choice to fire Tom Herman even though he won a NY6 bowl and competed in the Big 12 title game? Probably only a matter of time before Helobious throws out Adrian Alaniz name as a candidate. 

Most of us have already fired Pierce in our hearts and minds we are just waiting for CDC and the rest of the administration to catch up. 

of all the names I see being floated around, there is really only one that fucks, figuratively and literally!
CDC, fire up the Bevo Express got get that adulterer. Hit him with the obvious sales pitch that the coeds at Texas are top tier compared to those in Collie Station. spacer.png

28 minutes ago, D3zii said:

What's your reasoning of wanting to keep Pierce?? just wondering if thats what you want to do??

Not worth the program upheaval to fire him and hire someone else that doesn’t even have more of a history of success. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Not worth the program upheaval to fire him and hire someone else that doesn’t even have more of a history of success. 

If you are going to money whip someone why not the LSU skipper?  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

David Pierce's "success" before being hired by Texas

image.png.944961f6825f306d573c2e97ea2c685e.png

You've posted that like 900 times since this has started.  It's a tad unfair to give him 0% credit for his success at Texas while giving him 100% of the blame for the failures. 

Edited by petscii
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?