Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

He has been here 8 years, had repeated staff turnover and made himself pitching coach. 
He has underperformed at CWS when he’s made it, lost multiple games this season to “get T-shirts made because they rarely beat and/or take series from UT” and has lackluster donor/fan support and is flailing at NiL usage. 
What else do you need to see? A losing SEC record? He is at a point where he should be fucking peaking and instead his team’s are regressing. 

of course GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

A coach that allows players nuts to swang?

Pearl clutching fans inbound!

I am forward thinking, where can we get a Diamond Crusted Swaggy AF Show Stick, for the players to carry around after a home run.spacer.png

I've heard that is what Balcones pegs BO&W with. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

True, I was talking next year but he has been boat raced in early season games vs SEC teams. 
Partly because he seems to have no clue what he has in his roster and uses early games to “throw spaghetti against the wall”

it was so cute in the early years. now it's the fucking bullshit that makes me want to leave his ass.

CDC's non-internal promotions hires have come in and done the damn job in year 1.  Elite 8, Super Regionals, top 10/15 NCAA finishes in T&F after finishing in the 30s and 40s the previous year. 

I have no doubt whoever he hires is going to be successful year 1 utilizing our resources. 

• Drool 1

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So we're gonna park Pierce at USCe, like we did Shaka at Marquette?

If we let go of Pierce and he has any desire left to coach, Rice would be pretty stupid not to hire him. Their baseball program has been left to wilt and rot

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Pierce has had 8 years to figure it out....he hasn't. especially in the new NIL+Portal landscape. 

He has regressed every year since 2022.

image.png.5103a977954fd3e54dd993eb5cb93b21.png

Do you think Pierce will be competitive in the SEC? He's like 21-31 vs SEC teams during his tenure at Texas. Staying with a coach just because is not a good reason to stay with a coach especially while you're throwing out every excuse in the book to not look at other candidates. 

if you look at the conference record he has improved it is the OOC that has not....I know members of this forum like to shit on the Big 12, but even this year I think it looks like the Big 12 is playing some pretty good baseball especially down the stretch it is just coming from teams that most generally do not expect to play well.....and we know that every Big 12 team lives for the "well beat Texas season was successful lets go home"

I think Pierce does shit like Muss did at Arkansas basketball he uses the regular season to "try shit out" to "get ready for the post season" and fans at some places....like Texas do not accept that shit especially when you roll into the post season feeling over matched

Augie did some of the same shit his last CWS winner was 16-10 in conference and his last CWS appearance team was 13-11

I think the main issue with Pierce for me is again feeling over matched and not deep enough to feel like the team that comes alive to make it to the Supers or the CWS will carry it on to the end

I am not actually a fan of the "try shit out in the regular season" style of coaching because I think it just shows you have weaknesses you have not addressed.....but I am also not a fan of "put a Texas uniform on this coach and he has to do better than where he was" style of hiring

in this case I would hope for Pierce going out there and NILing the shit out of some pitching and hitting.....but who knows how long he has to do that the way things look it might be a week or two at best

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

if you look at the conference record he has improved it is the OOC that has not....I know members of this forum like to shit on the Big 12, but even this year I think it looks like the Big 12 is playing some pretty good baseball especially down the stretch it is just coming from teams that most generally do not expect to play well.....and we know that every Big 12 team lives for the "well beat Texas season was successful lets go home"

I think Pierce does shit like Muss did at Arkansas basketball he uses the regular season to "try shit out" to "get ready for the post season" and fans at some places....like Texas do not accept that shit especially when you roll into the post season feeling over matched

Augie did some of the same shit his last CWS winner was 16-10 in conference and his last CWS appearance team was 13-11

I think the main issue with Pierce for me is again feeling over matched and not deep enough to feel like the team that comes alive to make it to the Supers or the CWS will carry it on to the end

I am not actually a fan of the "try shit out in the regular season" style of coaching because I think it just shows you have weaknesses you have not addressed.....but I am also not a fan of "put a Texas uniform on this coach and he has to do better than where he was" style of hiring

in this case I would hope for Pierce going out there and NILing the shit out of some pitching and hitting.....but who knows how long he has to do that the way things look it might be a week or two at best

You have been told multiple times that Pierce doesn't use NIL correctly enough to do what you say. Expecting him to completely change his philosophy on NIL and change completely as a 60+ year old coach is fools errand. 

That is literally all hiring when it comes to Texas baseball, outside of Augie who is a fucking unicorn of a hire. That same philosophy is literally what was used for Pierce at the time of his hiring. That is literally how most hires work at programs like Texas. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CDC's non-internal promotions hires have come in and done the damn job in year 1.  Elite 8, Super Regionals, top 10/15 NCAA finishes in T&F after finishing in the 30s and 40s the previous year. 

I have no doubt whoever he hires is going to be successful year 1 utilizing our resources. 

I think Texas baseball will be no different but the talent level is abysmal and I'm not sure one year will get it fully done. I could be wrong. I also think the facilities and the fan support will put us in the middle of the pack. The thing about SEC money is athletic departments with no chance in hell in football still get paid and can be powerhouses with that football money in baseball - think Arkansas, Miss State and S. Carolina. I do think our baseball program is in for a bit of a shock. I think the rest is fine, I think the SEC as a whole is going to be like wtf Texas, winning all this shit. But I'm afraid we are 3 years out and some serious investments away for baseball.  I could be dead ass wrong though, maybe Texas baseball wins despite the facilities and middling (relatively speaking) fan support.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You have been told multiple times that Pierce doesn't use NIL correctly enough to do what you say. Expecting him to completely change his philosophy on NIL and change completely as a 60+ year old coach is fools errand. 

NIL has to be to get stars and fill holes with AAs not JAGs. it's the only way it works.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Vitello already making 1.5 mil… gonna have to make him maybe the highest paid cbb coach in america to even have a shot

If Texas makes a change, whoever they hire will be one of the highest paid coaches, if not the top. Just what the market will command for any coach worth a damn. 

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

True, I was talking next year but he has been boat raced in early season games vs SEC teams. 
Partly because he seems to have no clue what he has in his roster and uses early games to “throw spaghetti against the wall”

That’s exactly what it seems like, even in our best season 2021 we got skull drugged in our first 3
how as a coach do you not have an idea of what you have. I know you want to see game reps but damn , and even when he doesn’t know he doesn’t even try to make changes in the off-season portal. No reason Texas should be lacking in multiple areas with the transfer portal. 

5 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I have two words for you: Jack O’Dowd and Porter Brown. How did we get here as a program?

Why do people keep pointing out Porter Brown?  He was a great player last year.  Taking him off TCU's hands was totally justified.  

He shit the bed THIS year but that doesn't erase the 2023 results.

• Hook 'Em 5

Outside the box idea, but I’d like Chris Fetter to get a look. As pitching coach, he was the driving force behind Bakich’s great year at Michigan and has done a pretty good job managing the Detroit Tigers staff through youth and injuries the last couple of years. Obviously not the typical Texas hire, but his pitching coach resume is solid with big league, minor league, and college experience as well as serving as a big league scout. Rumor was he was the guy to replace Bakich at Michigan  before he turned it down due to their mess of an NIL program at the time. He’s only 38, but I think he’s got a really bright future managing a college program at some point. In any case, I’d rather look his direction than Bakich’s.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

I think Texas baseball will be no different but the talent level is abysmal and I'm not sure one year will get it fully done. I could be wrong. I also think the facilities and the fan support will put us in the middle of the pack. The thing about SEC money is athletic departments with no chance in hell in football still get paid and can be powerhouses with that football money in baseball - think Arkansas, Miss State and S. Carolina. I do think our baseball program is in for a bit of a shock. I think the rest is fine, I think the SEC as a whole is going to be like wtf Texas, winning all this shit. But I'm afraid we are 3 years out and some serious investments away for baseball.  I could be dead ass wrong though, maybe Texas baseball wins despite the facilities and middling (relatively speaking) fan support.

Nothing is ever "3 years out" anymore. Hire the right guy (or gal, depending upon sport and resume) and any program at Texas should be competing for everything within a two year cycle. NIL and the portal, coupled with the brand, location and other advantages should unlock everything a coach needs to flip a program in a two year window. That's also already been shown with other programs at Texas. If NIL and the portal had flung wide open when Sarkisian arrived at Texas, even the football team would have been working for a CFP spot in year two.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Outside the box idea, but I’d like Chris Fetter to get a look. As pitching coach, he was the driving force behind Bakich’s great year at Michigan and has done a pretty good job managing the Detroit Tigers staff through youth and injuries the last couple of years. Obviously not the typical Texas hire, but his pitching coach resume is solid with big league, minor league, and college experience as well as serving as a big league scout. Rumor was he was the guy to replace Bakich at Michigan  before he turned it down due to their mess of an NIL program at the time. He’s only 38, but I think he’s got a really bright future managing a college program at some point. In any case, I’d rather look his direction than Bakich’s.

I can get on board with something like this especially a proven pitching coach

interesting reading about him

In 2021, the Tigers lost a pair of assistant coaches to head coaching jobs at their alma maters: third base coach Chip Hale to Arizona and assistant hitting coach Jose Cruz Jr. to Rice.

Hale is doing "ok" at Arizona (I think they took their loss of a coach to LSU hard), and Cruz is not exactly lighting it up at Rice, but they are in a bad situation overall 

23 minutes ago, troph said:

Middling?

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nothing is ever "3 years out" anymore. Hire the right guy (or gal, depending upon sport and resume) and any program at Texas should be competing for everything within a two year cycle. NIL and the portal, coupled with the brand, location and other advantages should unlock everything a coach needs to flip a program in a two year window. That's also already been shown with other programs at Texas. If NIL and the portal had flung wide open when Sarkisian arrived at Texas, even the football team would have been working for a CFP spot in year two.

Seriously, wtf is with the already planned excuses for the new coach. 

aggy finished dead last in the SEC West in 2021 and went to the CWS in 2022 under a new coach.  29-27 to 44-20.

No excuses if you hire the right guy who can leverage the portal. Not saying a new coach can take us to the CWS in 2025, but we should absolutely expect improvement. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

that's awesome. I'm less certain about how long it will take, just acknowledging the player talent level is shit and while Texas baseball the brand is tops, fan support and facilities is top of the middle of the SEC.

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Seriously, wtf is with the already planned excuses for the new coach. 

aggy finished dead last in the SEC West in 2021 and went to the CWS in 2022 under a new coach.  29-27 to 44-20.

No excuses if you hire the right guy who can leverage the portal. Not saying a new coach can take us to the CWS in 2025, but we should absolutely expect improvement. 

no excuses, I'm in.

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

I think across all college sports we are seeing coaches hesitant to make a move to a place where "should be easier to win" and your ass will be on fire by year 3 to 5 vs. staying where they are and having a lot longer career.

Examples?

Posted (edited)

As of the end of 2023:

WINNINGEST ACTIVE COACHES
Top 25 By Percentage
(Minimum five years as a Division I head coach; includes all
victories as coach at a four-year institution.)
Coach, Team Years Won Lost Tied Pct.
1. Tony Vitello, Tennessee 6 235 99 0 .704
2. Brian O'Connor, Virginia 20 839 353 2 .704
3. Dan McDonnell, Louisville 17 719 311 1 .698
4. Kevin O'Sullivan, Florida 16 681 319 0 .681
5. Cliff Godwin, East Carolina 9 351 170 1 .673
6. Jim Schlossnagle, Texas A&M 22 893 440 0 .670
7. Jordan Bischel, Cincinnati 9 314 156 0 .668
8. Dave Van Horn, Arkansas 30 1,210 609 0 .665
9. Gary Gilmore, Coastal Carolina 34 1,335 674 5 .664
10. Dan Heefner, DBU 16 607 311 1 .661
11. Jay Johnson, LSU 11 411 211 0 .661
12. Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech 11 420 217 0 .659
13. Ben Orloff, UC Irvine 5 158 83 0 .656
14. Gary Adcock, California Baptist 20 685 361 1 .655
15. David Pierce, Texas 12 458 247 0 .650
16. Danny Hall, Georgia Tech 36 1,378 749 1 .648
17. Steve Owens, Rutgers 32 1,018 553 3 .648
18. Josh Holliday, Oklahoma St. 11 403 219 2 .647
19. Chad Holbrook, Col. of Charleston 11 384 215 0 .641
20. Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt 27 989 558 1 .639
21. Ed Servais, Creighton 28 825 469 2 .637
22. Andrew Checketts, UC Santa Barbara 13 410 235 5 .635
23. Alex Sogard, Wright St. 5 152 89 0 .631
24. Darin Hendrickson, Saint Louis 24 814 477 1 .630
25. Mike Bianco, Ole Miss 26 980 585 1 .626

Based on the list there is only one choice.

Edited by DanTheHorn

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

As of the end of 2023:

Top 25 By Percentage
(Minimum five years as a Division I head coach; includes all
1. Tony Vitello, Tennessee 6 235 99 0 .704
2. Brian O'Connor, Virginia 20 839 353 2 .704
3. Dan McDonnell, Louisville 17 719 311 1 .698
4. Kevin O'Sullivan, Florida 16 681 319 0 .681
5. Cliff Godwin, East Carolina 9 351 170 1 .673
6. Jim Schlossnagle, Texas A&M 22 893 440 0 .670
7. Jordan Bischel, Cincinnati 9 314 156 0 .668
8. Dave Van Horn, Arkansas 30 1,210 609 0 .665
9. Gary Gilmore, Coastal Carolina 34 1,335 674 5 .664
10. Dan Heefner, DBU 16 607 311 1 .661
11. Jay Johnson, LSU 11 411 211 0 .661
12. Tim Tadlock, Texas Tech 11 420 217 0 .659
13. Ben Orloff, UC Irvine 5 158 83 0 .656
14. Gary Adcock, California Baptist 20 685 361 1 .655
15. David Pierce, Texas 12 458 247 0 .650
16. Danny Hall, Georgia Tech 36 1,378 749 1 .648
17. Steve Owens, Rutgers 32 1,018 553 3 .648
18. Josh Holliday, Oklahoma St. 11 403 219 2 .647
19. Chad Holbrook, Col. of Charleston 11 384 215 0 .641
20. Tim Corbin, Vanderbilt 27 989 558 1 .639
21. Ed Servais, Creighton 28 825 469 2 .637
22. Andrew Checketts, UC Santa Barbara 13 410 235 5 .635
23. Alex Sogard, Wright St. 5 152 89 0 .631
24. Darin Hendrickson, Saint Louis 24 814 477 1 .630
25. Mike Bianco, Ole Miss 26 980 585 1 .626

1, 4, 6 or 10 please. X on the rest. Did I do that right?

Edited by troph

From the lower ranks

https://www.nguathletics.com/sports/baseball/roster/coaches/landon-powell/410

Top 25 By Percentage
(Minimum five years as a Division II head coach; includes all
1. Joe Urso, Tampa 23 955 279 1 .774
2. Matt Magers, Minnesota St. 15 587 188 0 .757
3. Landon Powell, North Greenville 9 348 116 1 .749
4. Kyle Crookes, Central Mo. 9 346 123 0 .738
5. Chris Hanks, Colorado Mesa 25 1,031 396 0 .722
6. Justin Pettigrew, Southern Ark. 7 245 106 0 .698
7. Mark Brew, Lee 17 659 286 2 .697
8. Bob Fornelli, Pittsburg St. 27 1,044 465 0 .692
9. Kevin Brooks, Angelo St. 19 742 333 0 .690
10. Rob Watt, Mount Olive 5 159 72 0 .688
11. Nathan Blackwood, Lubbock Christian 20 757 351 0 .683
12. Jon Shehan, Millersville 16 557 259 1 .682
13. Tim Huber, Augustana (SD) 15 547 256 1 .681
14. Kevin Tidey, Davenport 12 424 199 0 .681
15. Greg Guilliams, Valdosta St. 33 1,150 560 2 .672
16. Pat Dolan, St. Cloud St. 25 829 411 1 .668
17. Marc Marizzaldi, Seton Hill 20 691 348 1 .665
18. Jim Gantt, Catawba 27 944 484 0 .661
19. Greg Appleton, Columbus St. 26 934 479 0 .661
20. Mike Jeffcoat, West Florida 18 601 327 0 .648
21. Brad Hill, Emporia St. 24 886 482 3 .647
22. Justin James, Point Loma 5 139 76 0 .647
23. Matt McCarty, Shepherd 11 327 181 2 .643
24. John Schaly, Ashland 36 1,272 706 4 .643
25. Chris Ramirez, Lenoir-Rhyne 10 322 181 1 .640

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I know O Conner and O Sullivan are prolly not doable, but def worth kicking the tires on

O Sullivan has had 6 very below average years since 2018 except for one blip on the radar. Sort of like replacing Pierce with Pierce. O Conner was on fire between 2009 and 2015 and then slowed down. He is relatively young at 53 and a change of venue may get him back on fire again. Why did he fall so far down based on his standard after 2015?

Edited by DanTheHorn

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I know O Conner and O Sullivan are prolly not doable, but def worth kicking the tires on

You’re correct about O’Conner.

He IS UVA baseball.  Why would he leave a great job running a program he built in a place like Charlottesville?  I doubt he sees Texas or Austin as attractive as that.  I know I don’t …

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

if the Oregon State, ECU, Tennessee, Alabama, or any of the others mentioned are available this year with the possible exception of the Florida coach they will be available next year as well even if it cost more money and cost another year added to their contract to come here

Every coach is available every year. It's just a matter of whether you can offer what they want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Re Vit ...

yeah like I said earlier his pressers he sounds fine and good. he and DVH are in a massive pissing match but again, DVH is a fucking manchild whiny little bitch (he coached Nebraska and now Arky, what do you expect?) and was in a pissing match for a while with Augie. Augie was no saint, so I don't need one now. Vit has gotten into minor trouble (looks like a minor recruiting violation and has been tossed for getting heated with umps) but he seems very hungry and aggressive.  as for reputation among fanbases out there? meh, SEC gonna ratchet that shit up to 11 because (1) we won't assimilate, (2) we will win, and (3) they too are whiny little bitches.

Vit is the up and comer and he's out performed at Tenn.

so tell him to ditch the masserati and get himself a Ferrari and come to Texas.

O'Sullivan is the tried and true if you want to grab a proven winner.

19 hours ago, troph said:

Me, I’ll require $2 mil (5 year guaranteed) and I’ll use the other $1.5 mil of my base to augment staff salaries and I’ll pick my staff from the “best of” on this board. Who’s up for $600-700k per year to help me turn this ship around? 

my experience? I care, I’m an alum, a lawyer and there’s good precedent for going from lawyer to D1 coaching, and I coached 2 seasons of 10U where we focused on player development and took no hitting kids and got them base hits before the year was out. 

Let’s go!!

80S Dancing GIF

Cool. I will be third base coach. We will run on everything.

Oh, and I can recruit down in Latin America. All the kids can study Latin American Studies. Win Win.

• Drool 1

So, for you people advocating giving Pierce another year... pretend it's 6/3/25 and Pierce just delivered another mediocre season that ended in the Lubbock Regional: What coach out there can add to their resume (looking at who is still alive in the tournament right now) such that you would then seem them as a viable candidate a year from now?

Things don't change that much in one year.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think we have a top five fan base and top three program of all time.   Stadium size be damned.  Oh and we are also rich. So while our results may be middling, our fan base,history and results are anything but

I think in terms of the number of fans in attendance, size and quality of stadiums and facilities, and confirmed budgets, Texas is probably 4-5th in the SEC. in terms of the brand quality and access to capital, top 3.

Posted (edited)

Need to create develop a student section/engagement area with all kinds of different amenities to keep the entertained while creating a huge presence at the game. I know we have that new thing out in left field between the fence and such but it needs to be bigger and better.

7 minutes ago, troph said:

I think in terms of the number of fans in attendance, size and quality of stadiums and facilities, and confirmed budgets, Texas is probably 4-5th in the SEC. in terms of the brand quality and access to capital, top 3.

Didn’t know we have confirmed budgets.  And who in the sec has a better brand than Texas ?   

maybe the purse strings loosen with a new manager.  

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Didn’t know we have confirmed budgets.  And who in the sec has a better brand than Texas ?   

maybe the purse strings loosen with a new manager.  

brand? no one.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Need to create develop a student section/engagement area with all kinds of different amenities to keep the entertained while creating a huge presence at the game. I know we have that new thing out in left field between the fence and such but it needs to be bigger and better.

gaming stations? phone charging stations? jesus christ. can we just watch a fucking baseball game?

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, troph said:

gaming stations? phone charging stations? jesus christ. can we just watch a fucking baseball game?

Sure but you can also have a boring atmosphere......as we know with football, the students carry the atmospheres...I feel like more engagement from students and having them line up for games and hanging out there before games instead of just showing up could create a much better atmosphere. Basically a Bevo Blvd type environment for them and CDC has done a good job with fan engagement and making things better.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Examples?

Few mens basketball

The Florida football coach turned down a lot of jobs while he was at Louisiana until he finally took the Florida job.....he did not take the $3 to $4 million jobs he waited for the $7 million guaranteed for 5 to get it done in 3 years or get fired job

Dutcher San Diego

Fickell turned down a lot of jobs at Cincy until it was clear Ohio State was not calling and that moving to the Big 12 might be a bigger issue than he thought

Satterfield his replacement turned down a lot of jobs while at Appalachian State

O'Sullivan turned Texas down in the past

how many coaches turned Texas down before Smart was hired.....how many turned Texas down before Strong was hired

several coaches turned down Louisville and Kentucky for their basketball position

I am not sure Alabama got their first choice in football

LSU baseball had some coaches turn then down before they hired their current coach

a lot of coaches are not as eager to make the jump to the first "that is a way better job" these days.....the Florida football coach would have probably given up $2.5 million per year if he had taken some of those other jobs instead of waiting for Florida......if he had been successful there he would have still been in line for about the same money he gets at Florida.....if he was not then he is a very young guy with a long way to climb back up and with a lot less money in his pocket......when he leaves Florida he will not need to do a damn thing if he does not want to

when you get past football and mens BB and down to baseball where the difference might be "only" $1 million or so to make a big jump......well $5 million more ($1 million per year guaranteed for 5 years) at Texas vs. knowing you are good to go where you are for 7 or 8 years and your money will be bumped up every 2 years or so AND you can always make a jump is appealing to a lot more people these days

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, petscii said:

I want to see their schedule but they claim to be an independent next year.  That's going to be a lot of road trips.

High risk-reward there, but probably necessary.  WCC is pretty weak so they'd have to schedule a really strong OOC anyway to be in contention for national seeds or hosting in general.

If they make it work, maybe in a few years they get a baseball only invite for a better league.

Edited by Captain Obvious

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?