Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Blake

Alright yall, first lets get these out of the way before moving onto who I'd take and why. I asked numerous people about the names you've seen a million fans say on message boards and social media.

1. Tulo (Director of Player Development / Texas) - Not happening. Not because they don't like him or because he doesn't know his stuff. It's just that he doesn't have experience. More on that later.

2. Jay Johnson (LSU)  - You can't money whip him. He has it made at LSU. No. 1 NIL program in the nation that rivals some schools football programs. He ain't leaving.

3. Tim Corbin (Vanderbilt) - Very comfortable at Vandy and he loves it there. He's the man there. He ain't leaving.

4. Brian O'Connor (Virginia) - No, not Paul Walker's (RIP) character from Fast and Furious. The Virginia coach. I've seen so many people name O'Connor as a replacement. While he didn't graduate a Cav, O'Connor has been there since 2004. That's longer than a handful of people on this board have been alive. He is VERY settled in there, as anyone would be who's been in the same place for 20 years. He will retire from there.

5. Dan Heefner (Dallas Baptist) - Not a fit at Texas, mainly for (his own) personal reasons. His coaching style (players in bed by 9 PM, can't leave dorm) doesn't connect with a lot of recruits. I know of one recruit recently offered there and he personally told me that "their rules are stricter than anywhere else I've ever been in my life. No thanks. Not even visiting because of that." He's a phenomenal coach, but it's just not the right one for the Longhorns.

6. Random JUCO/D3/D2 guy who has a phenomenal record and wins - Not happening. Coaching JUCO ball is so different than major D1 baseball. Deer in the headlights type reactions would be expected.

Texas wants a few things with this hire from what I'm told.

1. A proven winner.
2. A proven developer.
3. A fiery guy who connects with the players, recruits and the fans.
4. A guy with experience coaching high D1 level baseball who can navigate those waters and navigate them well. 

im no expert but that 4 line item description of wants sounds an awful lot like Vitello

My guess would also be Vitello. His name comes up every single time a good job comes up. 

Of the names that are being offered for consideration, I think I like Vitello the best. The other UT apparently think so, as they are said to have just made him the highest-paid coach in NCAA Baseball. I don't know if we would raise that, but it would have to be a significant raise, you'd think.

Probably there are other issues in play, as well, but I'm not familiar enough with the other UT to have a good grasp on the big picture there.

Poaching a Head Coach from one of our new conference members would likely start a gigantic roar of hate and loathing. This is our chance to show how being Daddy works.

Oh, and move SEC HQ to Dallas, 'kay?

55 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Of the names that are being offered for consideration, I think I like Vitello the best. The other UT apparently think so, as they are said to have just made him the highest-paid coach in NCAA Baseball.

Look up ^^^^^, that may be a false narrative.

Poaching a Head Coach from one of our new conference members would likely start a gigantic roar of hate and loathing.

It's gonna happen regardless, might as well get a head start on it.

Today I learned that Brock Cunningham is facing jail time for his style of hard play. Lulz.

Whoever is running that Twitter account is either 14 years old or an absolute loser. Or both.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't fault them for hating Brock though.  The only way you tolerate a player like him is if he plays for your team.  Everyone else rightfully will hate the shit out of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't fault them for hating Brock though.  The only way you tolerate a player like him is if he plays for your team.  Everyone else rightfully will hate the shit out of him.

Similar to Boddicker.

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Well think from the elite 8 tourney run through this season is a good reason to also hate him if he plays for your team 

So there is word that the aggies haven't lived up to their promises with Schlossnagle on a number of fronts - facilities and NIL being two of them. Anyone got a fact check on that in some form? I know people have been overrating the aggie baseball NIL for certain, but they did pay up for the Stanford transfer. Not sure how much carry the NIL end has, but maybe there's something to it. 

There are two schools of thought - CDC has his man already or there is serious interest in the big names that have been mentioned on this board, specifically Vitello and Bakich. I guess both things can be true. Or, hell, maybe Pierce gets another go and we can all get fucked. 

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Similar to Boddicker.

I met and played a round of golf with Boddicker awhile back. I am terrible at golf, like never played until adulthood and have never had a lesson terrible, and it was nice to have a peer in our foursome out there with me. Anyway, the guy was a lot of fun and seems like a great guy. We asked him how he felt about being the archetype tall white villain at Texas that opponents love to hate. He thought it was funny and said that his approach to the game, plus the backing of his coaches and mentors, led to a fun 10 year career in Europe. 

@SquishMitten 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Montgomery could not have been cheap because he had no ties to the state or atm.

His personal hitting coach is in the Houston area I believe and his girlfriend actually plays beach volleyball at Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147

His personal hitting coach is in the Houston area I believe and his girlfriend actually plays beach volleyball at Texas.

Undefeated. That makes more sense now, I wondered why one would leave the bay area/Stanford to come to college station since he probably could have got comparable NIL $ at much least shittier destinations.

1 minute ago, ballrific said:

Undefeated. That makes more sense now, I wondered why one would leave the bay area/Stanford to come to college station since he probably could have got comparable NIL $ at much least shittier destinations.

I don’t remember the full story, but I know Montgomery is from Mississippi and many thought he was going to end up back there.

A member of A&M’s off-field staff was a former high school coach in Mississippi and had some connections to Montgomery. That helped along with all the other stuff.

52 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Montgomery could not have been cheap because he had no ties to the state or atm.

This is probably a fantasy on my part, but I like to imagine prospective athletes expecting additional NIL money from A&M because it’s a school full of weirdos.

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

This is probably a fantasy on my part, but I like to imagine prospective athletes expecting additional NIL money from A&M because it’s a school full of weirdos.

I'm sure many of them have had the thought "I should have asked for more" after attending their first yell practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/6/2024 at 11:51 AM, closetojumping said:

So there is word that the aggies haven't lived up to their promises with Schlossnagle on a number of fronts - facilities and NIL being two of them. Anyone got a fact check on that in some form?

I've also heard that Schlossnagle has had some big disagreements with the admin there, but didn't get any specifics on why

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/6/2024 at 11:51 AM, closetojumping said:

So there is word that the aggies haven't lived up to their promises with Schlossnagle on a number of fronts - facilities and NIL being two of them.

EFUDozaU8AEu2e4?format=png&name=small

i assume we are about to hear a lot more about this with Alberts coming in, makes it easy to pin the prior promises on Bjork and "save money" to spend elsewhere on other sports (aka football)

No one in this state is as shortsighted as the people running the Texas A&M Athletic Department.

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2024 at 9:04 AM, Tex Long said:

Poaching a Head Coach from one of our new conference members would likely start a gigantic roar of hate and loathing.

Yea, as is, none of the SEC schools will hate or loathe us when we arrive in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Yea, as is, none of the SEC schools will hate or loathe us when we arrive in the conference.

And worse, it's inside the conference, so he couldn't start coaching for a year.

Fuck that give me Vitello!! He has Tennessee rolling! 

if not him I’ve heard really good things about Clemson coach young energetic and hopefully knows how to use NIL to recruit and use the portal unlike another Clemson coach . 

anyone we bring in I would hope they can keep the #3 (24) and. #1 (25) class together and add to it  

23 hours ago, BeautifullyFurnishedCasita said:

I've also heard that Schlossnagle has had some big disagreements with the admin there, but didn't get any specifics on why

He asked them to stop being fucking weirdos.

They declined. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, D3zii said:

Fuck that give me Vitello!! He has Tennessee rolling! 

if not him I’ve heard really good things about Clemson coach young energetic and hopefully knows how to use NIL to recruit and use the portal unlike another Clemson coach . 

anyone we bring in I would hope they can keep the #3 (24) and. #1 (25) class together and add to it  

Apparently he also has some struggles with overmatched competition... image.png.48cffd475e0fe2a16b51ed5b71ce8669.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, petscii said:

Actually we are not in the conference until July 1st.  ;)

... and we haven't signed our new head coach from SEC yet ...

... and our stadium has a big SEC on the field, so it's been said ...

... and we apparently have no Gentlemen's Agreement with our SEC overlords ...

14 hours ago, MrX said:

Tenn guy, Aggy guy, Clemson guy, who fucking cares fire Pierce’s ass and get one of them. This isn’t hard 

With bill in sinton laser focusness i’m sure we will! 

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?