Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

41 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Using @Balcones methodolgy I went through and compiled a list of all potential candidates who won national titles as assistants since 2003 Rice. As you will notice we have a ton of candidates!

Cal St Fullerton - Dave Serrano, Rick Vanderhook, Chad Baum

Texas - Tommy Harmon, Tom Holliday

Oregon St - Marty Lees, Dan Spencer, Nate Yeskie, Andy Jenkins 

Fresno St - Pat Waer, Matt Curtis, Mike Mayne

LSU - Javi Sanchez, David Grewe, Wes Johnson, Josh Jordan, Marc Wanaka

South Carolina - Chad Holbrook, Mark Calvi, Sammy Esposito, Jerry Meyers

Arizona - Shaun Cole, Matt Siegel, Brett Scyphers

UCLA - Jake Silverman, TJ Bruce, Rex Peters

Vandy - Scott Brown, Travis Jewett, Drew Hedman, Mike Baxter

Virginia - Kevin McMullan, Karl Kuhn, Matt Kirby

Coastal Carolina - Kevin Schnall, Drew Thomas, Matt Schilling

Florida - Craig Bell, Brad Weitzel

Miss St - Scott Foxhall, Jake Gautreau

Ole Miss - Mike Clement, Car Lafferty

Any of these guys has taken their team to the CWS in 3 of the last 7 seasons?  Won 3 conference championships?  Won 4 Regionals?  National Coach of the Year?

Yes, Pierce has a won a national championship as a coach.  Is that a negative thing?  Vitello and Bakich haven't.  Hell, Bakich still has to use Yelp to find a restaurant in Omaha.  

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

Any of these guys has taken their team to the CWS in 3 of the last 7 seasons?  Won 3 conference championships?  Won 4 Regionals?  National Coach of the Year?

Yes, Pierce has a won a national championship as a coach.  Is that a negative thing?  Vitello and Bakich haven't.  Hell, Bakich still has to use Yelp to find a restaurant in Omaha.  

Pierce won a national championship as an assistant.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952glrinm70fljjb7ou9s

• Haha 1

We're looking at eight head coaches who were able to recruit, train, and coach their teams into the CWS.

Our own head coach recruited, trained, and coached our team to - at best - the 33rd ranked team in the country. 

To dismiss all of the 32 more highly ranked teams' coaches as not better choices is the absolute pinnacle of stupidity. Those who appear to be doing exactly that, you know who you are, and so do the rest of us.

Stop it.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

We're looking at eight head coaches who were able to recruit, train, and coach their teams into the CWS.

Our own head coach recruited, trained, and coached our team to - at best - the 33rd ranked team in the country. 

To dismiss all of the 32 more highly ranked teams' coaches as not better choices is the absolute pinnacle of stupidity. Those who appear to be doing exactly that, you know who you are, and so do the rest of us.

Stop it.

Are you under the impression that the opinions expressed here have anything to do with what is happening inside the Athletic Dept.?

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Stop it.

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment, but to focus on one year seems dumb.  Otherwise we should definitely scratch Jay Johnson off the list, as LSU had a worse season than we did and also lost in a regional.

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the overall sentiment, but to focus on one year seems dumb.  Otherwise we should definitely scratch Jay Johnson off the list, as LSU had a worse season than we did and also lost in a regional.

Jay is not going to CWS, but eight other coaches are. Jay is definitely - as horrible as his season has been - in the list of the other 24 with a better finish than 33rd. 

So, let's see - you're going to dismiss one of the top 32. How about that last 31, are we to go through them and dismiss them all as either even worse than Pierce or just coated with unobtainium?

No, we're not. Sorry, just a little knee-jerk trolling. 

Maybe the problem is in or around Del Conte's office? Have we been denying Pierce resources he needs to build the program? He hasn't done it in seven years so far, so he's had as much of a chance as Strong and Herman combined. Shall we go ahead and extend him for another seven and see where that goes?

Nah, you're right - we seem to agree, generally. I don't have a huge hardon for either Vitello or Bakich, or anyone else. We need to make a change, and shitting on various candidates - either deservedly or not - is not very productive at this point.

I lean toward the idea that Del Conte already has his coach and is okay with letting him finish the CWS before officially announcing Pierce's firing. If it's Bakich, we'll know in a few days, but if it's one of the CWS coaches, it'l be a couple of weeks yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, CosmoDog said:

No idea if accurate. A friend just sent this to me.

i hope it’s true. 

people will love this or hate this, but i sweatergawd our program could use some of this attitude and energy:

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He’s 66, yeah? Not a move I’d make especially for a program like South Carolina. 

He could hire and mentor a new coach and start the search process for his replacement.  

6 hours ago, Balcones said:

By your standard so has Greg Davis...

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

By your standard so has Greg Davis...

Go ahead, be snarky. 

But... Greg Davis was OC of the Year when he taught Vince Young how to play QB properly. Jeff Fisher shoulda hired Greg.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

After the Marinara news dropped yesterday:

"Narrator: we were indeed done on the coaching carousel for that day."

Wondering if we get the leftovers today. 

I there was a major Arkansas State announcement yesterday.

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If South Carolina can poach from LSU, Texas can damn sure do the same to Tennessee. 

That dude is 20 years older than Mike Elko and looks like a spring chicken compared to The Elk. Hell, he looks younger than David Pierce, for that matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, CosmoDog said:

No idea if accurate. A friend just sent this to me.

I saw some other account that's basically an anonymous account on X also say that it will be Vitello to Texas, but it also didn't provide a source, so I chalked it up to being a rumor as well.

On 6/11/2024 at 11:26 AM, BachelorTrek said:

I saw some other account that's basically an anonymous account on X also say that it will be Vitello to Texas, but it also didn't provide a source, so I chalked it up to being a rumor as well.

Probably an aggy rumor to deflect from Schlossnagle….

Posted (edited)

Kidding aside he’s the guy, gotta fucking land him. Pretty please baby Jesus CDC and all of surly. Be good to your mommas and let’s hope it happens. Fuck rocky top, let’s hook em.

Edited by troph

What's it gonna take to convert Tony from Maseratis to Lamborghinis?

I mean….its well within the realm of possibility that I could secure a Maserati. No fucking way I have any business even thinking about a Lamborghini….

7 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I mean….its well within the realm of possibility that I could secure a Maserati. No fucking way I have any business even thinking about a Lamborghini….

Per the googles, the cheapest Maserati (Grecale) has an MSRP of $68,500 and the cheapest Lamborghini (Urus) has an MSRP of $237,848.

I almost got sideswiped by an asshole swerving out of his lane in a Bentley Continental GT this morning, so this hits close to home.  I think his front left fender was probably worth more than my entire car.

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I almost got sideswiped by an asshole swerving out of his lane in a Bentley Continental GT this morning, so this hits close to home.  I think his front left fender was probably worth more than my entire car.

Sorry, I was watching a tiktok. 

• Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to Dynasty Building: Who will it be Schloss, Vitello, O'Sullivan?
  • immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach