Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

15 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

This aggy coaching search sounds a lot like the David Pierce sweepstakes back in the day.  A long list of names of guys who got raises and extensions, and a bunch of No Thanks I'm Good.

Leadership counts I guess.  

Sorry aggy.

You'd think they would have learned how to conduct a coaching search after what they just witnessed up close.  But nope, aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Who is the better coach out of Pierce and Skip?

What are Pierce's strengths and what are Skip's strenghts?

With Skip you know he can coach up pitchers at least. Pierce isn't a bad coach but when you look at him there isn't a real elite aspect to his coaching. Maybe recruiting players who can hit for power?

4 minutes ago, Hookem75 said:

What are Pierce's strengths and what are Skip's strenghts?

With Skip you know he can coach up pitchers at least. Pierce isn't a bad coach but when you look at him there isn't a real elite aspect to his coaching. Maybe recruiting players who can hit for power?

I just don't think Skip is very good. 

6 full seasons at OU have included 3 bad years, 1 decent year (simply because of Big 12 title due to the Big 12 being ass), and then 1 really good year during the CWS run. He's only advanced out of a regional 1 time in 6 seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I just don't think Skip is very good. 

6 full seasons at OU have included 3 bad years, 1 decent year (simply because of Big 12 title due to the Big 12 being ass), and then 1 really good year during the CWS run. He's only advanced out of a regional 1 time in 6 seasons. 

OU's support for baseball is mid-major shitty.

https://frontofficesports.com/highest-paid-college-baseball-coaches/

Edited by Beau Vine

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

I thought following the Texas A&M football coaching search was stressful and fast moving, until I started trying to track everything going on with this Texas A&M baseball search.

Only last night, it was being reported that the Aggies were down to two names and were prepping for a press conference today. This was from a guy who seemed to have the jump on the Schlossnagle to Texas news, so it seemed as though he was well-abreast of the situation on some level.

It now appears that this report is not accurate, as multiple names continue to fly around and there is no whiff of a press conference to be set up. While speed is certainly of the essence in this search, you have to get the right man for the job, so I'd rather that piece of things not be compromised in the name of getting things done quickly.

At that point, it looked like the Aggies were down to Dan Heefner from Dallas Baptist and UVA's Brian O'Connor. Now, it looks like both of those guys might be staying put.

For those wondering, I do not expect Heefner to be the hire for Trev Alberts and Texas A&M.

From the conversations I’ve had, it doesn’t sound like he has had (or will have) an interview with the Aggies. https://t.co/ixrIHqHKQy

— Jaxson Callaway (AT) (@AggiesToday) June 28, 2024

One of the latest names on the board is Wake Forest's Tom Walter. Walter has been in Winston-Salem for nearly 15 years and has racked up over 400 wins in his tenure. His conversion rate to the College World Series is not as high as a guy like O'Connor, but he consistently has the Demon Deacons in the national conversation as a top-10 team throughout the season.

Another coach whose name has come up around Aggie fan circles is—interestingly—an assistant who just followed Schloss to Texas in Michael Earley. Who knows if Earley would be welcomed back—if some of the rumors are true, then a few of the assistant coaches could have their names be mud right now around College Station—but I found it interesting that he is being discussed.

We will keep things updated as rumors and news continue to come out about the search.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is starting to sound a lot like the Pierce search. The funny part is that was when we had an interim AD. 

Don’t sell Alberts short. He won’t last long before Sharp throws him under the bus and he’s fired 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This is starting to sound a lot like the Pierce search. The funny part is that was when we had an interim AD. 

And boy did they laugh at us during that search.

Only for Pierce to do better than Rob Childress but, you know, it was a bad look for us.

4 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

image.png.fd7cbb3ab1e4242d1fb64b13f36f2605.pngimage.png.601451cbe44cc4c5ceb84f0efc541ad5.png

Anyone who's played softball at Havins about a decade ago would probably know Amy, or at least seen her around.

I've played at Havins since 08. I can't see your pics tho so don't know what you're referencing.

Skip would be a good fit for atm. The Texas high School coaches love him and he'd be at a place that has more to spend than ou.

42 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but Skip's salary doesn't tell me much. He isn't paid as a top coach because he isn't a top coach. 

It tells you how much they're willing to invest in a head coach.  That will also give you a hint about how much they're willing to invest in assistants and baseball NIL.  Softball is their spring sport.

11 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

It’s called actually “knowing your place,” in the realm of relativity.

Hook’em!!!

This is an accurate assessment, and it reflects the aggy attitude across both athletics and academics.

The truth is, aggy is not a destination, it's a stepping-stone for coaches and a lowered expectation for students.

It's sad, but it's true, and the sooner aggy accepts that reality, the more respect they will earn.

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This is an accurate assessment, and it reflects the aggy attitude across both athletics and academics.

The truth is, aggy is not a destination, it's a stepping-stone for coaches and a lowered expectation for students.

It's sad, but it's true, and the sooner aggy accepts that reality, the more respect they will earn.

The sun will burn out before they accept that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Full quote from article: 

Schlossnagle: Trev came to me the day before the regional to have a conversation. He asked me if I was frustrated. I told him that I had some frustration with how slow the ballpark process was going and that it was tough to operate without a sport administrator, but I was committed to working through it. He then made a comment to me — kind of comparing his situation of leaving his alma mater, Nebraska. He said to me, ‘You know, Jim, if you ever don’t feel like this is the place for you, that’s OK, and it’s OK to move on.’ I was a little taken aback by that, and that was the moment that I began to think that maybe this wasn’t going to work out. No one ever contacted me or my agent about a new contract for our staff, so I just decided to focus on getting our team to Omaha and winning.

Least surprising news ever

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Full quote from article: 

Schlossnagle: Trev came to me the day before the regional to have a conversation. He asked me if I was frustrated. I told him that I had some frustration with how slow the ballpark process was going and that it was tough to operate without a sport administrator, but I was committed to working through it. He then made a comment to me — kind of comparing his situation of leaving his alma mater, Nebraska. He said to me, ‘You know, Jim, if you ever don’t feel like this is the place for you, that’s OK, and it’s OK to move on.’ I was a little taken aback by that, and that was the moment that I began to think that maybe this wasn’t going to work out. No one ever contacted me or my agent about a new contract for our staff, so I just decided to focus on getting our team to Omaha and winning.

Just a great AD hire, aggy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

They did take Fran from Alabama and Jimbo from FSU . . . Never mind, that doesn’t help their argument to the contrary.  Well except in the grand scheme of psycho aggy conspiracy theory, Alabama and FSU likely pushed those coaches to aggy to weaken the program.

1 minute ago, 89Horn said:

They did take Fran from Alabama and Jimbo from FSU . . . Never mind, that doesn’t help their argument to the contrary.  Well except in the grand scheme of psycho aggy conspiracy theory, Alabama and FSU likely pushed those coaches to aggy to weaken the program.

FSU:

Thank U Reaction GIF by The Office

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Well, to be fair, Aggie is a destination.

For Soviet style architecture aficionados, weirdos with a milkman fetish, toy soldiers, backward hobgoblins, people who like to build dangerous structures with logs, and those who want to be in a cult while pretending to be the greatest little fan-base ever.

So, yeah, fuck the 12th man. He's a fucking loser.