Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire

On 6/29/2024 at 10:07 AM, Hookem2147 said:

Yes. Then give him an open checkbook to get the current players back and see if he can stick it to mean ole Schlossnagle.

image.png.96e00547712cc15779cbf58011c81a25.png

How deep is their overdraft protection?

6 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Objectively hilarious that this photo exists.

fb2c8e0b6d9161853ce0cd1b9cc8283f.jpg

Those idiots won't be able to hire a decent head coach. They'll come my way, you just watch. Man, this jersey looks better-- nope don't go there. Think of the money.

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Do we have a complete list of coaches who turned them down?

Still waiting on the names of the two MLB managers William told us about just a few days ago.

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

No meltdown because they will be able to fallback on their most trusted of excuses. Next Year our coach will be more experienced and it will be at our place.

Still installing his system.

3 hours ago, WBT said:

I'm skeptical how much they will keep their roster together.  They probably would have had guys poached away had Schloss stayed.  We shall see.

I wonder about that, too. The portal guys have a bit of time to decide. Do they really want to play at a school with an untried head baseball coach when they could go to a certain contender? The longer they stay unattached, the better other places will start to look.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So we know Earley was at least their 4th option based on Kendall's reporting. 

“stayed loyal to the school that gave him the keys to the castle.” 😂😂😂 

1)comparing vitello staying at tennessee to schloss leaving shy for texas is hilarious

2)keys to the castle? tennessee had won 48% of their games in the decade prior to hiring vitello. they gave him a bombed out and depleted plot of land he built the castle on top of it 

3)Texas Baseball is the castle. A&M is the dirty, stinky, putrid bog of a moat that people walk over on their way to the castle 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

A&M fans screamed all week about Scloss leaving, then hired a guy that left with him and knew for months they were leaving.

All is forgiven, I guess? 

You haven’t kept up. Early was the only one of the assistants who hasn’t known they were leaving for months. He was told the night of the final game and was ‘furious’. They essentially kidnapped him to Austin and forced him to sign that contract against his will. True aggy through and through. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

A&M fans screamed all week about Scloss leaving, then hired a guy that left with him and knew for months they were leaving.

All is forgiven, I guess? 

they also went hard after vitello who, had he taken the job, would have done to tennessee what schloss did to a&m. and at that point i’m just not sure all of the litigation and prosecutions against vitello would have been worth it. 

Help me understand—

You win a NC at one of the top P4 athletic departments in the country. A school with no national championships thinks it has what it takes to get you to come to them all because of more money when the program you built just achieved the goal of the national title? 

So they basically told Vitello “we know we aren’t on the same level as Tennessee because of the championships but we have a lot of money!” And that was their pitch? 

When was the last time a coach in any sport won the national championship and then left that school for a school with no championships at all?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Help me understand—

You win a NC at one of the top P4 athletic departments in the country. A school with no national championships thinks it has what it takes to get you to come to them all because of more money when the program you built just achieved the goal of the national title? 

So they basically told Vitello “we know we aren’t on the same level as Tennessee because of the championships but we have a lot of money!” And that was their pitch? 

When was the last time a coach in any sport won the national championship and then left that school for a school with no championships at all?

I mean, for Aggy that's actually pretty impressive.  Admitted their program is a historical dumpster fire and said it was all about the money (nevermind there was a 0% chance Tennessee wouldn't match if Vitello ever considered it).

It's pretty obvious they went after some big names (Vitello, O'Connor, Link Jarrett) and tried to make a splash hire. Once they realized that wasn't possible it was tier 2 to tier 3 options like (Heefner, Skip, Vaughn). 

I think they missed on Heefner too but Kendall hasn't said anything about him. Once it was down to a bunch of meh options they just decided to hire Earley. 

It was the David Pierce hiring process but without an interim athletic director which makes it even more embarrassing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's pretty obvious they went after some big names (Vitello, O'Connor, Link Jarrett) and tried to make a splash hire. Once they realized that wasn't possible it was tier 2 to tier 3 options like (Heefner, Skip, Vaughn). 

I think they missed on Heefner too but Kendall hasn't said anything about him. Once it was down to a bunch of meh options they just decided to hire Earley. 

It was the David Pierce hiring process but without an interim athletic director which makes it even more embarrassing. 

The Heefner miss surprises me actually.... until I remember their AD is Trev Alberts.

There's only 1 major college D1 top tier conference public school that fits his very Christian religiosity. Not judging. It's just something very important to him and aggies seem to have their identities wrapped up in it as well..... at least more than any large public university that I know.

It's A&M. 

He's a good coach.

That's a big miss and like a double fault kind of error by the AD to force out your coach and miss on the best option B level coach who fits your program's 'culture' the best of anyone out there in baseball who's won anything worth a shit AND that knows the Texas baseball landscape.

After I type this I kind of think it's a quadruple fault really.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The Heefner miss surprises me actually.... until I remember their AD is Trev Alberts.

There's only 1 major college D1 top tier conference public school that fits his very Christian religiosity. Not judging. It's just something very important to him and aggies seem to have their identities wrapped up in it as well..... at least more than any large public university that I know.

It's A&M. 

He's a good coach.

That's a big miss and like a double fault kind of error by the AD to force out your coach and miss on the best option B level coach who fits your program's 'culture' the best of anyone out there in baseball who's won anything worth a shit AND that knows the Texas baseball landscape.

After I type this I kind of think it's a quadruple fault really.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they can’t do some of the things that heefner requires, like mandatory Bible study, since they are a public school. 

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Alberts bascially invited Schloss to leave, so of course, he was going to fuck this hire up completely. However, it's pretty obvious that the aggy athletic department has serious money issues due to the Jimbo contract.

I had an aggy this weekend swear that they fundraised the entire jimbo buyout. He is shocked it was all lies I guess.

• Like 1

Gotta say I'm not convinced they went after Vitello or O'Connor.  Feels like spin from the mouthpieces to make the legions feel good that they "took their shot".   Heefner was their best option, and the dumbass Alberts couldn't close that.  Watching that entire program burn because of the Jimbo fiasco is so satisfying.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Gotta say I'm not convinced they went after Vitello or O'Connor.  Feels like spin from the mouthpieces to make the legions feel good that they "took their shot".   Heefner was their best option, and the dumbass Alberts couldn't close that.  Watching that entire program burn because of the Jimbo fiasco is so satisfying.

"going after" = we asked their agents if he'd be interested and they said no.

2 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I had an aggy this weekend swear that they fundraised the entire jimbo buyout. He is shocked it was all lies I guess.

No they really believe that.    My neighbor is a an aggy donor and just last weekend was insisting they had the cash to get the ballpark renovations done and write Schloss a check to keep him in Collie Station.   He hasn’t spoken to me since then.  lol. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah my neighbor swears aggy has 'loads of money', 'more than enough to hire anyone', etc, etc. She's not hardcore ag though and probably doesn't follow that shit too much, so I don't bother explaining the realities of their situation to her. 

Name me one school a $77 million buyout wouldn't fuck over. If there is one, it ain't aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

Name me one school a $77 million buyout wouldn't fuck over. If there is one, it ain't aggy. 

Texas has actually been surprisingly conservative on coaching salaries the last 7-8 years. Not sure Schloss’ salary but sark is only now getting to the top of coaching ranks. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

No they really believe that.    My neighbor is a an aggy donor and just last weekend was insisting they had the cash to get the ballpark renovations done and write Schloss a check to keep him in Collie Station.   He hasn’t spoken to me since then.  lol. 

Where do you live ?  Sounds expensive for aggy grad. 

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire