Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire

image.png.485ab1a2033a3f732cfd4cf3178752f8.png

That's evidence that he's not a moron? Interesting opinion considering they hired a HC who was an unpaid assistant just a year ago.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Alberts bascially invited Schloss to leave, so of course, he was going to fuck this hire up completely. However, it's pretty obvious that the aggy athletic department has serious money issues due to the Jimbo contract.

Maybe he was sure he could save a million a year from a non-revenue sport and still attract a good coach because of their fabulous facilitiesfacilitiesfacilities, that great Aggie homefield advantage, and his own brilliance as a negotiator salesman.

48 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Someone didn't get the memo on Tulo. Sorry, aggy, there is no cherry.

image.png.b85bd6490e54ad0f7fe3bac514842437.png

No cherry for you, Aggie.

I can see a logic to their approach- offer big $ for a proven winner, and if you strike out, don’t overpay for a less-than-sure-thing. Instead, go cheap. They can’t afford to pay over-market salary for average results. 

Of course, a better strategy is to take care of your program and AD so that it’s attractive to proven winners. That takes time, though. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Olin (OB) and his moderator can't keep from criticism of Schloss this morning on TexAgs...

OB ripping Brian Davis for his posts about Schloss -- then admits Brian Davis made him mad in the past, but claims they're friends.  Says Schloss "went to Snook cemetery where the truth goes to die" 😋

Dumbasses should be focused on new Coach and moving on, but they can't help themselves... 😂😂😂 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Olin (OB) and his moderator can't keep from criticism of Schloss this morning on TexAgs...

OB ripping Brian Davis for his posts about Schloss -- then admits Brian Davis made him mad in the past, but claims they're friends.  Says Schloss "went to Snook cemetery where the truth goes to die" 😋

Dumbasses should be focused on new Coach and moving on, but they can't help themselves... 😂😂😂 

They just confirmed aggy new pitching coach

image.png.12775dc51d19c893fd66caabd03a06f1.png

Edited by LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What a coup.  The premier SEC program in Brazos County plucked a sitting P5 head coach to be an assistant coach.  

But it’s wrong to steal other team’s coaches!!!!!!!! They just tried to do that at UVA, Wake, DBU, Tennessee, OU though. Doesn’t count 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why the fuck would anybody step down as HC of a P4 baseball program - after only 2 years - to live in Collie Station and coach aggy pitchers? This guy has gotta have a screw loose. I know it's only Washington, but even Augie sucked it up at Illinois for 3 years.

Now Earley has a babysitter.

image.thumb.png.b6053a9a990f99c991c4e42a1e872e35.png

Edited by DFW Horn

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Why the fuck would anybody step down as HC of a P4 baseball program - after only 2 years - to live in Collie Station and coach aggy pitchers? This guy has gotta have a screw loose. I know it's only Washington, but even Augie sucked it up at Illinois for 3 years.

travel with big 10 schedule would suck much ass for one. I’d imagine a quicker ascension to low level sec school head job than coming from a pacific nw school (our new conference mates are not bright)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, bluto said:

travel with big 10 schedule would suck much ass for one. I’d imagine a quicker ascension to low level sec school head job than coming from a pacific nw school (our new conference mates are not bright)

Not just travel but B1G baseball is just so awful. 

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Good point

Travel for baseball on the West Coast is much more desirable. The B1G baseball schedule is shaping up to be a nightmare and clusterfuck. I guess that held no appeal to Kelly, but whatever. He didn't exactly burn it up at UW.

22 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

He was getting fired after this season - he's a bad head coach.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I hope that UW makes a better hire than aggy just to see texags explode with excuses and rationalizations. 

They won't.  They'll try to hire a former Mariner who has never coached college baseball.  Dan Wilson was one of the top candidates last time.  They probably dream of pulling Willie Bloomquist out of ASU.

It's kind of like OU, where softball completely overshadows baseball.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They won't.  They'll try to hire a former Mariner who has never coached college baseball.  Dan Wilson was one of the top candidates last time.  They probably dream of pulling Willie Bloomquist out of ASU.

Man, there you go, harshing my mellow.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You just mentioned 2 guys that would be a better choice than Earley 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

They'll try to hire a former Mariner who has never coached college baseball.  

It'd be something different, as their past three coaches -which span 31 years- don't appear to have ever been affiliated with the mariners. 

Because Big 10 Baseball is going to suck? Just a guess. I mean at least in the PAC 12 Washington could leave the damp and cold Seattle area to play Arizona, ASU, Stanford , USC, UCLA and Utah in a warmer climate. Now they get to go to Ann Arbor and freeze their nuts off in late April.

PAC 12 baseball was already down before the conference shut its doors save for WSU and OSU who remain. The BIG 10 is going to do nothing to improve those baseball programs. Those who jumped to the Big 12 might be in a better position though, but even Arizona State who used to be a regular at Omaha has been MIA

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

It'd be something different, as their past three coaches -which span 31 years- don't appear to have ever been affiliated with the mariners. 

Two of those three were promoted assistants.  The other was Meggs, who came from Indiana State IIRC, and he managed to get fired in spite of taking them to Omaha for the first and only time.  But because no one actually pays attention to UDub baseball, when the job opens, people want a former pro player -- I remember Dan Wilson and Mike Blowers being suggested when they hired Jason.  If Buhner is a candidate, I will lose all hope...

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Two of those three were promoted assistants.  The other was Meggs, who came from Indiana State IIRC, and he managed to get fired in spite of taking them to Omaha for the first and only time.  But because no one actually pays attention to UDub baseball, when the job opens, people want a former pro player -- I remember Dan Wilson and Mike Blowers being suggested when they hired Jason.  If Buhner is a candidate, I will lose all hope...

Maybe they can get Valle off of my rangers telecasts. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Can somebody explain to me why they wanted Washington's head coach as the pitching coach?

ERA by team: 

Washington '24 (#120---5.78)

Washington'23 (#90---5.37)

LSU '22 (#36---4.32)

Arizona State '21 (#147---5.28)

Arizona State '20 (#85---3.56)

Washington '19 (#100---4.49)

Washington '18 (#50---3.81)

That's as far as I want to go back. He hasn't produced a top 35 pitching staff in 7 years and maybe never if you look at his entire history. This is a mediocre hire at best. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Can somebody explain to me why they wanted Washington's head coach as the pitching coach?
ERA by team: 
Washington '24 (#120---5.78)
Washington'23 (#90---5.37)
LSU '22 (#36---4.32)
Arizona State '21 (#147---5.28)
Arizona State '20 (#85---3.56)
Washington '19 (#100---4.49)
Washington '18 (#50---3.81)
That's as far as I want to go back. He hasn't produced a top 35 pitching staff in 7 years and maybe never if you look at his entire history. This is a mediocre hire at best. 

The simplest answer is usually the correct one when dealing with aggy.
They wanted to brag that they hired a sitting head coach as an assistant. Period.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire