Schlossed and confused: Texas A&M searches for a new coach

1 hour ago, cashman said:

So it sounds like they are gonna hire Earley?

Hiring Earley would be incredibly emotional and shortsighted.

Haven't Aggies spent the past 2 years telling us about the gauntlet of the SEC schedule? And they will be happy to roll with a guy with zero HC experience? Sure, he may keep some current portalers, but that isn't how you build a program.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

26 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

If they hire Earley I wonder if Schloss looks at Tulo for that assistant position? I think he was let go because Schloss was bringing in his own Director of Player Development but would he be open to Tulo in another role? 

Good question. Reading the Earley to aggy as a possibility I was wondering if he could come back into play as well.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You misread that.

There’s lots of chatter about Ricky Vaughn.

9c0878f861151e61809b7a781d2a3873.jpg

This does bring up one item for our team moving forward. Schloss has been a Wilson guy at TCU and tamu, curious if he brings that brand with him or allows players to use any brand they want. Most of our players have used Rawlings gloves and LS bats in the past, not all but most.

Back to roster building.

Looch has apparently reported that the Wake Forest coach turned them down is no longer a candidate.
So they're down to Earley, and, well...
image.png.85ef4c3158cc45b6ad138874e8ff3304.png
I think we can all read between the lines and discern that the unnamed candidates are Dave Roberts, Bruce Bochy, Craig Counsell, Buck Showalter, and Tony LaRussa.  Aaron Boone's buyout is considered to be too large to justify, in spite of Boone's strong interest in College Station.  

They might be digging up Billy Martin and Tommy Lasorda and throwing their names into the pot.
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

If they hire Earley I wonder if Schloss looks at Tulo for that assistant position? I think he was let go because Schloss was bringing in his own Director of Player Development but would he be open to Tulo in another role? 

3 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Good question. Reading the Earley to aggy as a possibility I was wondering if he could come back into play as well.

I was really hoping they would keep him on.  I don’t see him coming back after getting fucked over

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I was really hoping they would keep him on.  I don’t see him coming back after getting fucked over

“Fucked over” feels a little strong. The new coach is bringing in his guys. That’s normal. If things change then bringing him back makes sense if he wants to be in staff at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

“Fucked over” feels a little strong. The new coach is bringing in his guys. That’s normal. If things change then bringing him back makes sense if he wants to be in staff at Texas.

Unless he is referring to promises made by Pierce or CDC. Schloss gets to pick his team, so that can't be it.

44 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol at them convincing themselves Earley may not have known. The dude was on the Texas site in a Texas uniform 24 hours after their championship game of fucking course he knew. 

Schloss Weiner & Cain didn't come snatch him up in a Good Times Van like in Old School.  He was onboard. 

12 hours ago, wood said:

LOL, my Mexican wife (no pics) is the 'anti mijo mom', I guess. She's more likely to get on our boys' asses for not taking an extra base when they can, not making the tough play, only going 1 for 3, etc. 

My boys' high school is known as a strong baseball school, but neither one of them ever got a serious look because they weren't playing select ball imho. I believe, and I've also heard things that back me up, that the coach (Coach A) has a sweet deal with a particular select team. Every kid on his team comes from that team unless they are incredible. From what I hear, most coaches' tryouts are at minimum several hours for one day and most are multiple days, several hours a day. Coach A's tryout is about 2 hours, where they take grounders and fly balls, pitch, and hit, but only against the machine, and only like 10-15 pitches. No live hitting. My boys were both cut after that 2 hour session, along with several other very good players, not even given a shot at JV2 as freshmen or sophomores. Then the varsity coach at the rival school nextdoor, Coach B, actively and illegally afaik recruited both of them to transfer & play on his varsity team. They declined, because they didn't want to transfer, but they play RBI now with Coach B's varsity kids from the neighboring school, and are in the top 5 out there. One is one of the top pitchers, and the other is the best hitter and also pitches, on a team of varsity and JV kids, despite their relative lack of travel ball experience. The younger one worked out over the winter with a team that has several senior kids headed to play college ball, and he's one of the better players, but Coach A has no time for him and others like him.

Some of you might know who Coach A is, just based on my description of him. 

I really appreciate the good coaches out there who love the game, can spot inexperienced talent, and are willing to take time to coach those kids up and see what they can become. Sadly, it seems like some HS coaches these days don't really want to do that much coaching at all, even when a kid has obvious talent, and will go with mediocre talent from a select team over a kid with obvious talent who didn't play hundreds of select ball ring tournaments. /csb

Are you in Austin?

• Hook 'Em 1