Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think they would have gotten so many back with out hiring Earley.  It's why they picked him in the first place.  That and because he was cheap.

Yup. It was aggy being extremely short sighted as usual. Hire this coach with no experience because he will get the players back. Take a one year run at it again. After that they have no plan

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yup. It was aggy being extremely short sighted as usual. Hire this coach with no experience because he will get the players back. Take a one year run at it again. After that they have no plan

There's no guarantee they'll ever have another roster like this, so I can see why they did it.

It's not like their long-term contract or plans with Jimbo produced results. Strike while the iron's hot. YOLO, aggy

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, BlackCat said:

I felt weird about taking their players. The only way I’d want any of them is if they gave a&m a try because of Schloss and have been wanting to get out of there asap. I feel the same way about any player from a&m or ou. Who wants a UT baseball team full of aggies? 

I want winners. I dont give a fuck where they are from. Winners win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Schlossed and confused: When panic leads to an Earley hire
1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

There's no guarantee they'll ever have another roster like this, so I can see why they did it.

It's not like their long-term contract or plans with Jimbo produced results. Strike while the iron's hot. YOLO, aggy

Once they whiffed on hiring any big-name coaches, this was their only play. Hire a coach that keeps as many players as possible off their runner-up team and pray they make another run, giving their rookie coach some credibility on the recruiting trail.

Otherwise, and maybe even in that ideal scenario, their program looks to take a big step back to the norm in the next couple of years.

15 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Dumb question amnesty here but does baseball have a second transfer portal time similar to football after fall practices?

Yes. 

Regular portal dates are from the announcement of regionals and then 30 days after. This yr June 3-July 2nd .

Exception is a coaching change at any time. Players of those teams have another 30 days .... Texas this yr, aggy, now Washington, and others to enter or withdrawal from the portal.

Fall/winter portal dates for ALL spring sports ( baseball fallball players not making a team's roster for spring) for this year ran from Dec 1-15 2023.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 3

“We talked at length,” Alberts told the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday of finally earning an audience with Schlossnagle prior to the super regional of the NCAA Tournament against Oregon. “I said, ‘Are you frustrated? Is there anything I can do? ’ And at the end of the conversation I said, ‘Jim, if you’re not happy here and you want to leave, that’s OK. But please don’t hurt our program and don’t hurt our kids.’ That’s what I said.

The link on the subreddit is a gift article so here's the text:

Spoiler

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts offered a timeline on former A&M baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle’s stunning exit to rival Texas last week, and Alberts responded to Schlossnagle’s assertion that the athletic director had told him he could leave if he wasn’t happy at A&M.

“We talked at length,” Alberts told the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday of finally earning an audience with Schlossnagle prior to the super regional of the NCAA Tournament against Oregon. “I said, ‘Are you frustrated? Is there anything I can do? ’ And at the end of the conversation I said, ‘Jim, if you’re not happy here and you want to leave, that’s OK. But please don’t hurt our program and don’t hurt our kids.’ That’s what I said.

July Fourth Sale! Exclusive Offer on Digital Access: ONLY 25¢

ACT NOW

“And he said, ‘I will never do that, Trev.’ I said, ‘OK.’”

ADVERTISEMENT

Article continues below this ad

HOW WE GOT HERE: Everything to know about baseball coach who spurned Aggies for Longhorns

Schlossnagle left A&M for Texas on June 25, the day the Aggies arrived back from the College World Series in Omaha, Neb., after finishing second to Tennessee, the highest finish in A&M program history.

Alberts said on the Tuesday (June 11) following the Aggies’ two victories over Oregon in the super regional at Blue Bell Park, a meeting was called with the 12th Man Foundation, the athletics’ fundraising arm, to discuss the already-approved $80 million redevelopment of Blue Bell Park.

“And he didn’t come to the meeting,” Alberts said of Schlossnagle. “Two days later I called (a search) firm and said, ‘Let’s get ready to do a search.’”

Schlossnagle had told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram last week that Alberts had told him, “If you don’t ever feel this is the place for you, that’s OK, and it’s OK to move on.”

ADVERTISEMENT

AGGIES GET THEIR GUY: Texas A&M hires Michael Earley to lead baseball program

Alberts, who left the same role at Nebraska to become the Aggies’ athletic director in March, said late in the course of the baseball season he had “several donors” tell him Schlossnagle intended to leave A&M.

“We hosted a regional, and after the regional I said can we meet,” Alberts explained to the Chronicle of trying to visit with Schlossnagle about his intentions. “We scheduled a meeting for Monday (June 3) and he canceled. We scheduled a meeting for that Tuesday and he canceled.

“That Wednesday I went and sat — (Schlossnagle’s) son was in his office — and so I sat in (assistant) Nolan Cain’s office. I talked for 40 minutes with Nolan Cain until he came.”

That’s when the “are you frustrated” conversation finally took place, Alberts said.

Schlossnagle last week took assistants Cain, Michael Earley and Max Weiner with him to Austin to help fill out his Longhorns staff, but Earley was officially hired back at A&M on Tuesday as Schlossnagle’s replacement.

Somehow Alberts manages to look even worse. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The link on the subreddit is a gift article so here's the text:

Reveal hidden contents

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts offered a timeline on former A&M baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle’s stunning exit to rival Texas last week, and Alberts responded to Schlossnagle’s assertion that the athletic director had told him he could leave if he wasn’t happy at A&M.

July Fourth Sale! Exclusive Offer on Digital Access: ONLY 25¢

ACT NOW

“And he said, ‘I will never do that, Trev.’ I said, ‘OK.’”

ADVERTISEMENT

HOW WE GOT HERE: Everything to know about baseball coach who spurned Aggies for Longhorns

Schlossnagle left A&M for Texas on June 25, the day the Aggies arrived back from the College World Series in Omaha, Neb., after finishing second to Tennessee, the highest finish in A&M program history.

Alberts said on the Tuesday (June 11) following the Aggies’ two victories over Oregon in the super regional at Blue Bell Park, a meeting was called with the 12th Man Foundation, the athletics’ fundraising arm, to discuss the already-approved $80 million redevelopment of Blue Bell Park.

“And he didn’t come to the meeting,” Alberts said of Schlossnagle. “Two days later I called (a search) firm and said, ‘Let’s get ready to do a search.’”

Schlossnagle had told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram last week that Alberts had told him, “If you don’t ever feel this is the place for you, that’s OK, and it’s OK to move on.”

ADVERTISEMENT

AGGIES GET THEIR GUY: Texas A&M hires Michael Earley to lead baseball program

Alberts, who left the same role at Nebraska to become the Aggies’ athletic director in March, said late in the course of the baseball season he had “several donors” tell him Schlossnagle intended to leave A&M.

“We hosted a regional, and after the regional I said can we meet,” Alberts explained to the Chronicle of trying to visit with Schlossnagle about his intentions. “We scheduled a meeting for Monday (June 3) and he canceled. We scheduled a meeting for that Tuesday and he canceled.

“That Wednesday I went and sat — (Schlossnagle’s) son was in his office — and so I sat in (assistant) Nolan Cain’s office. I talked for 40 minutes with Nolan Cain until he came.”

That’s when the “are you frustrated” conversation finally took place, Alberts said.

Schlossnagle last week took assistants Cain, Michael Earley and Max Weiner with him to Austin to help fill out his Longhorns staff, but Earley was officially hired back at A&M on Tuesday as Schlossnagle’s replacement.

Somehow Alberts manages to look even worse. 

the simpsons helen GIF

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Once they whiffed on hiring any big-name coaches, this was their only play. Hire a coach that keeps as many players as possible off their runner-up team and pray they make another run, giving their rookie coach some credibility on the recruiting trail.

Otherwise, and maybe even in that ideal scenario, their program looks to take a big step back to the norm in the next couple of years.

The Mark Adams/Rodney Terry approach.

• Hook 'Em 2