Meanwhile in Mexico: Madera

RPM

mexico-elections-09092.jpg

Claudia Sheinbaum has made history as the first woman elected president of Mexico, according to projections from the nation's official quick count.

Sheinbaum obtained between 58.3% and 60.7% of the vote, according to a statistical sample used to conduct the quick count. It was announced early Monday morning by Guadalupe Taddei Zavala of Mexico's National Electoral Institute. Taddei Zavala said the tally is 95% reliable.

Sheinbaum addressed supporters, saying, "For the first time in 200 years of our republic, I will become the first woman president...but as I've said in other occasions, I don’t make it alone. We’ve all made it, with our heroines who gave us our homeland, with our mothers, our daughters and our granddaughters.”

Sheinbaum said she would support the freedom of free expression and protest and build a “diverse and democratic” Mexico, and assured she would respect industries and the free market while respecting the environment and "nations' self-determination."

Outgoing President Andrés Manuel López Obrador hailed Sheinbaum's historic win in a video released early Monday. "I congratulate Claudia Sheinbaum, who came out as the victor, with a wide margin. It will be the first female president of Mexico in 200 years," he said.

"The president [Sheinbaum] possibly got the most votes in our country's history," he added.

The former mayor of Mexico City will serve one six-year term starting on Oct. 1.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My wife is from Mexico city and she says it doesn't really matter who is elected president right now. There is too much corruption in government and the cartels have too much influence. Reports yesterday in multiple cities of people trying to burn down polling places and obstruct the voting process. I hope she is strong enough to make real change. 

12 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

My wife is from Mexico city and she says it doesn't really matter who is elected president right now. There is too much corruption in government and the cartels have too much influence. Reports yesterday in multiple cities of people trying to burn down polling places and obstruct the voting process. I hope she is strong enough to make real change. 

Still awesome. Here’s to hoping she can move the needle in a positive direction. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Como se dice Sheinbaum en Espanol?

All I know is that being a jewish messican must suck because you gotta be around, but can't eat, delicious chorizo.

Also, there's a sizable jewish population in CDMX - like 50k.  And I'm friends with a gal here in Austin who comes from a mexican jewish family that has been there around 100 years.  So, not super-rare in CDMX at least (where the majority of mexican jews live).

Of course, my family in Mexico is on the more conservative side, and supported her opponent in this election.

I wish her luck, but honestly, doubt that either candidate would have much success fixing the shit that needs to be fixed.

• Hook 'Em 1

She's a highly-educated woman. I wish her good luck.  Mexico is a beautiful country with fantastic people.  They deserve better than what they've been getting. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BeardIP said:

38 assasinations this election cycle (country-wide), which was a record. To be fair, it was a record election season, but still. 38. THIRTY EIGHT potential political candidates assasinated.

I might be cynical, but you'd have to be born yesterday to not suspect that the candidates who were allowed to survive weren't in the pocket of the cartels SOMEHOW. And given this senora was handpicked by AMLO as his successor...it seems like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss....but in a dress".

Edit to add report of #37 I saw. I guess #38 came after sometime or the 38 number I read was wrong by 1?

Son sólo otras 38 cabezas en la pila.

What I don't understand is they are making this seem like obrador has some Putin like powers when all he has is popularity and influence. Putin was the president then prime Minister so he was actually still "in power". If this lady wants to tell obrador to go fuck himself and do her own thing as long as she doesn't piss off the people at year 3 she's a single term president anyway so who gives a fuck. 

I'm a Mexican citizen and have started spending much more time down there recently and I have to say in small town and big city Mexico in Nuevo Leon shit seems pretty damn good. It's also a PRI state in the morena ocean now. A lot of the cartel stuff seems to be more due to fiefdoms rather than a federal government failure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

A lot of the cartel stuff seems to be more due to fiefdoms

That's the story I am hearing as well. These killings are less ideologically driven and more about avoiding disruptions or liabilities at lower levels of government. Still bad, obviously, but not quite the same thing as what happens to Navalny.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

What I don't understand is they are making this seem like obrador has some Putin like powers when all he has is popularity and influence. Putin was the president then prime Minister so he was actually still "in power". If this lady wants to tell obrador to go fuck himself and do her own thing as long as she doesn't piss off the people at year 3 she's a single term president anyway so who gives a fuck. 

I'm a Mexican citizen and have started spending much more time down there recently and I have to say in small town and big city Mexico in Nuevo Leon shit seems pretty damn good. It's also a PRI state in the morena ocean now. A lot of the cartel stuff seems to be more due to fiefdoms rather than a federal government failure. 

That's the complete opposite of what's happening.  Sheinbaum's victory is a direct referendum on AMLO's policies and paves the way for AMLO to pass legislation in the next month which will shape Mexico according to his vision.  Make no mistake about it-  this is a bad result for Mexico.  Within a period of a short five years we're going to see a Mexico that is democratically much weaker.  Moreno will control the election of judges (including their Supreme Court seats), abolish their version of the electoral college, reduce congressional size by eliminating opposition seats, and transfer regulation of important industries like telecom and utilities to the state. 

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

That's the complete opposite of what's happening.  Sheinbaum's victory is a direct referendum on AMLO's policies and paves the way for AMLO to pass legislation in the next month which will shape Mexico according to his vision.  Make no mistake about it-  this is a bad result for Mexico.  Within a period of a short five years we're going to see a Mexico that is democratically much weaker.  Moreno will control the election of judges (including their Supreme Court seats), abolish their version of the electoral college, reduce congressional size by eliminating opposition seats, and transfer regulation of important industries like telecom and utilities to the state. 

Wait so you are saying the people of Mexico think their country has been run by a bunch of fucking corrupt pieces of shit and they voted to fix it on a real policy/ideologically honest campaign. 

Surprised Meme GIF

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Wait so you are saying the people of Mexico think their country has been run by a bunch of fucking corrupt pieces of shit and they voted to fix it on a real policy/ideologically honest campaign. 

what?

On 6/4/2024 at 12:30 AM, BeardIP said:

I might be cynical, but you'd have to be born yesterday to not suspect that the candidates who were allowed to survive weren't in the pocket of the cartels SOMEHOW. And given this senora was handpicked by AMLO as his successor...it seems like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss....but in a dress".

Don't fall for the cartels putting a pretty face and dress on their hand picked president.  The "popular" vote was bought by her political party and the cartels. Go visit a central American country during election time. Mind bottling.