are they really doing remakes of the office and the wire?

Derka

33 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

So they've got an Irish guy in his early 40s and an Italian woman in her mid-50s to lead a cast working at a "historic Midwestern newspaper". OK. 

Hopefully they hired people that have heard of acting, so they can pretend to be people other than themselves, otherwise this thing could be in trouble!

I’m always for more content. It could suck. In fact, it’s probably likely it sucks. But there’s always a chance it could be good, which benefits everyone. Is anyone mad Dune got rebooted? Battlestar Galatica? Batman? True Grit? Yes, Red Dawn sucked. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory blew. Road House was laughable. Who cares. 

The Office should have ended with the Season 7 finale Goodbye, Michael. Heartfelt, touching, and the scene with Michael and Pam in the airport would have been a Casablanca like walk off. 

Instead we got 2 very uneven seasons that damn near ruined the show. I believe there was a movement in the writers room for Pam to leave Jim for the documentary cameraman. That would have definitely ruined the show. The finale was solid because it was largely Dwight and Jim based and they brought back Steve Carrell. 

The Farm in Season 9 was a back door pilot for the Dwight spinoff that NBC passed before the episode aired. Not a great episode, but promising. I feel like  we got robbed of more shows in The Office universe. The Farm’s writer blamed the spinoff getting shelved on Comcast, but let’s be honest, Seasons 8 and 9 sucking killed the spinoff. 

I’m very OK with a The Office reboot, and I’ll keep an open mind. 

Posted (edited)

They decided that there weren't enough brutally fucking uninteresting and insipid 20 and 30 somethings in this current generation and as a result we needed to reboot The Office for this next generation.

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I tried watching Abbott Elementary once and it was basically the office at an inner city school. 

And Parks and Rec was The Office in small city government (Leslie’s character in the first season felt like an imitation of Michael Scott’s pure cringe but didn’t work and they changed the character which helped enormously). Both are (were) pretty good. Not sure why this one is being produced as an official “spinoff.” Sounds like the only thing tying them together is the documentary company? I guess as a newspaper it opens the door for a bunch of cameos from Dunder Mifflin people. Sounds lame as fuck.

Edited by 'stache

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

And Parks and Rec was The Office in small city government (Leslie’s character in the first season felt like an imitation of Michael Scott’s pure cringe but didn’t work and they changed the character which helped enormously). Both are (were) pretty good. Not sure why this one is being produced as an official “spinoff.” Sounds like the only thing tying them together is the documentary company? I guess as a newspaper it opens the door for a bunch of cameos from Dunder Mifflin people. Sounds lame as fuck.

Probably because they are desperate for viewers to save their dying streaming service