College soccer recruiting help?

Any of y’all have a kid/know a kid who plays college soccer? We’re trying to get a handle on the recruiting process, and we’re a bit clueless.

Background: we’re kinda sorta guardians for a refugee kid playing at a damn high level here in the Austin area (both high school and at Lone Star). He’s good…really good - second team all-district as a sophomore. He (and we) are realistic, of course…he ain’t Messi. But it seems he has a path to playing in college, even D2 or D3. It really can be his path to a passion and a career (he’d love to study kinesiology, and eventually be a coach or a trainer - big leaps for a kid who learned to play on the rocks of a refugee camp in Pakistan with barely enough to eat). His mom isn’t able to help or navigate that process, so we’re going to be the ones doing so. And we don’t really know where to begin.

We know there are letters to programs he’s interested in (don’t even know how to come up with that list), short highlight vids to put together, all that. Would really appreciate someone just giving us the 101 on the process to get us started.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I don't have a lot to offer, my kid decided on academics at UT (which is not a varsity program).  He may play with their club team this fall, he's working out now to try to make the squad in August.  He had some interest from D2 schools like Midwestern State, but academics won out (thank God).

Covid fucked recruiting like crazy.  Coaches who had reached out prior to covid went awol, it seems they just stuck with their teams what with the added years.  Some programs went under (St. Ed's in particular regarding my kid).  I'm really pretty unaware of what is happening these days.  Surely there is someone at Lone Star who can advise about the process?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

I don't have a lot to offer, my kid decided on academics at UT (which is not a varsity program).  He may play with their club team this fall, he's working out now to try to make the squad in August.  He had some interest from D2 schools like Midwestern State, but academics won out (thank God).
Covid fucked recruiting like crazy.  Coaches who had reached out prior to covid went awol, it seems they just stuck with their teams what with the added years.  I'm really pretty unaware of what is happening these days.  Surely there is someone at Lone Star who can advise about the process?

We think there is…we’re figuring that out. Really just cranking up the information gathering at this point.

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Covid fucked recruiting like crazy.  Coaches who had reached out prior to covid went awol, it seems they just stuck with their teams what with the added years.  Some programs went under (St. Ed's in particular regarding my kid).  I'm really pretty unaware of what is happening these days.  Surely there is someone at Lone Star who can advise about the process?

Wasn't trying to put you on the spot I just knew you had a kid that played at a high level. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Wasn't trying to put you on the spot I just knew you had a kid that played at a high level. 

No worries, his local club (Cap City) did some damage regionally, other surlies have kids who have played for that club too.  Soccer is so weird, they would periodically run into a buzzsaw of a team that they didn't even know existed.  I think the US system is fairly fractured and the left hand doesn't always talk to the right hand.

Speaking of Austin FC, they have an academy program for guys that are presumably on the track to pro level play.  I don't know the name.  My kid's U18 team played them at the Austin FC practice facility in East Austin (lost 4-3) and it seemed like those kids were all maybe a year younger, like HS sophomores and juniors.  Might be worth looking into.

Speaking of Austin FC, they have an academy program for guys that are presumably on the track to pro level play.  I don't know the name.  My kid's U18 team played them at the Austin FC practice facility in East Austin (lost 4-3) and it seemed like those kids were all maybe a year younger, like HS sophomores and juniors.  Might be worth looking into.

He played for the academy for a year. Got injured, and they dropped him. He’s been healthy since then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If he’s already in with Lone Star, reach out to Dan Heger. He was a collegiate head coach for almost 30 years. A bit on the weird side, like maybe he ate a bit too many mushrooms in the 70’s, but he’s a good dude and knows his shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, I don't know shit about soccer (except that it was invented by European ladies so they would have something to do while their husbands made dinner), but, a buddy of mine had a daughter that got a soccer scholarship, and it was 100% because of the coach of her travel team (or whatever you call it).  Her H.S. Coach didn't do dick to help her. 

• Haha 1

I've got two people I know who have had kids play either D2 or D3 college soccer, presumably on some sort of scholarship.  It's not Austin (eastern block), but if you want to shoot me a list of questions, I'm happy to pass them along or see if they would mind if I put you in touch with them.

Posted (edited)

My son played at a mid level D1 program, but it was about a decade ago and I'm sure the landscape has changed totally in that time, largely due to the academy system that has developed. 

Don't expect a ton of scholarship money. D1 has 9.9 for the entire team and D2 has 9. (D3 has none.) They can be spilt up as small as 25% for a single player.

Rely on the school and club coach for objective assessment and suggestions as to college possibilities.  Be proactive in reaching out to college coaches. Much of the recruitment occurs during the junior year. 

Club performance matters much more than HS.  There are showcase tournaments that are well attended by college coaches and he needs to be on a team that can get accepted for those tournaments. There are also summer camps at many colleges run by the coaches, and you should look into those. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Horndog
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Horndog said:

My son played at a mid level D1 program, but it was about a decade ago and I'm sure the landscape has changed totally in that time, largely due to the academy system that has developed. 

Don't expect a ton of scholarship money. D1 has 9.9 for the entire team and D2 has 9. (D3 has none.) They can be spilt up as small as 25% for a single player.

Rely on the school and club coach for objective assessment and suggestions as to college possibilities.  Be proactive in reaching out to college coaches. Much of the recruitment occurs during the junior year. 

Club performance matters much more than HS.  There are showcase tournaments that are well attended by college coaches and he needs to be on a team that can get accepted for those tournaments. There are also summer camps at many colleges run by the coaches, and you should look into those. 

Good luck. 

This is still good advice.

The athletes I watched over the last four years go into college playing sports (swim and soccer), did not wait around for coaches to find them.  They researched the schools that offer the majors they intended to pursue and the sports teams associated with those schools.  Some flew around the country to do ID camps at colleges.  They reached out to coaches when playing tournaments to let them know their game schedules.

Brisket - it sounds like your player has a unique story to tell.  I'm not affiliated with it (other than my daughter plays indoor soccer with some of the guys), but it might be worth checking out SGA.  Sonny is a great player and has a pretty successful training academy.  Much smaller scale than Lonestar.

Having coached a few kids that got rides or offers, so here is my advice.  Now everything may have changed with NIL and whatever but these were my general takeaways.

First, a ride at a D3 school is your best bet, simply as they are (or used to be)  academic scholarships.  So if they burn out, they can still get their degrees if they stop playing.  Which sounds like the key thing you are hoping for this young man.  I would honestly use soccer as the door opener, and his story as what makes him unique.  This might be very appealing to a D3 school.  The fact he was with the FC Academy until he got injured is another point on the resume, and the story.

I might sort of do things backwards.  Look at smaller schools that have the educational opportunities he is interested in first and foremost.  I would try to narrow those down to a handful and try and reach out to them both academically and athletically.  Does he have strong academics?  All these might be very attractive to a Division 3 school.  This is where I would honestly focus you efforts because I think the odds are better for the effort.  IF you can find academically what he is interested in.  I would not limit my research to only in state schools, as you never know, especially if he has good academics!

Now if he can get a D2 ride that's fine too!  I just do not want you to overlook the smaller schools.  Usually it's getting noticed by a coach at a showcase, or one of his coaches going to bat for him and making a few calls.  Only guy I know anymore used to be the keeper Coach at Lonestar years ago and is out at West Texas A&M.  The main thing is you need to make sure he is different from the other kids, because of his struggles, and that is your selling point IMHO.  Coaches honestly want talent, but a kid like this that has overcome so much and is at the level he is probably has the heart smart coaches are also looking for.  If nothing else his story might get them to look at him?

I might try to get the direct phone lines to assistant or head coaches.  I would simply be honest, tell basically what you just told us.  And I would ask anyone who you can get to talk to you for advice in how you can help the kid.  I am always amazed at how often if you simply ask for advice so many people will try to help you!  You need to do the highlight stuff, and resume, but I think that story may end up being his best asset!  I would also send a thank you letter to anyone that gives you any advice at all.  I think (can't remember) but I thought Lonestar had attending coaches register for the Showcases and you could find out who is/was attending.  That also might also help you in targeting coaches that at least have been to LSC showcases in looking at schools to contact.  Think of it as a multi-year sales call.  1) Find schools with the right majors 2) make contact 3) follow up with thanks and player info/story 4) Reach out before showcases to let them know of your interest in their program.

The small schools have to get in line behind the big schools, so if you can let the smaller schools know you are interested in them, they may go out of their way to see him at a showcase.  Good Luck!  It's a great game, I loved it.

Good Luck!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My son played at trinity and graduated about a year ago. He played for a DA (now it’s mls pro) team in dallas and was regularly scouted at winter showcases in Florida and summer ones in other locations. The team also played in dallas cup where there were plenty of scouts. 

He intended to play D1 but injured his knee senior year. After rehabbing and playing high school for the first time, he had a few offers from small d1 and d3 schools. He chose one where the the academics and the soccer were strong. 

I would encourage y’all to attend the camps of any preferred realistic universities. If the coaches like him and he likes the setting then keep building a relationship. My son went to several summer camps at colleges. Coaches can formally contact recruits on or after sept 1 of their junior year. And a few did due to his attendance at summer camps and from tournaments.  He didn’t score high enough on his tests for brown so the coach moved on.

Good academics are key for getting a spot. He got academic money at trinity that made the costs reasonable. Trinity does a great job of selling itself and still hits me up for money. 

If location doesn’t matter then there are a ton of schools in the east that play soccer at d3 level.  The tournament regions are lopsided with eastern teams  University of Chicago is always in the west region

is ODP still a thing?  When he was first rejected for the DA team for being too small. He played odp and made the north Texas team. He then made the all south team when they did religion iv camp at Tuscaloosa.  He made the DA team right after and left odp behind. 

if there is still odp then that’s a chance to play and get seen.  

Feel free to hit me up with questions.

• Like 1