Dallas Stars 2024 Offseason Thread

These are the times we really need a beat writer like Saad Yousef to break it all down for us. He had a few good articles early last offseason including (if I recall correctly) a breakdown of why it made zero sense to buyout Suter last year but possibly could this year.  If anyone finds any good articles please link.

Clearly the top priority is defense.   Tanev was a great fit if we can make the years and numbers work.  Presumably Bichsel will be given an opportunity next year considering he was next man up for game 5 they must think he's closer than we previously thought he was.  Suter gets a bad wrap but I think he had a solid year overall in his new role including the playoffs until the last few games.  It's hard to blame him though considering we played so many games essentially rolling 5 D.  He, like everyone, wore down.  Of course, he's just getting older.  Still, unless we have something bigger up our sleeve seems doubtful we buy him out?  I'm ok letting Hak move on.  

Duchene is interesting.  He was a good fit here (although, like others, had an underwhelming playoffs).  I think he would like to stay given his interviews which seem genuine.  I think it's all a question of whether his priority is maxing out contract or a good situation with a chance to win a cup. If the former it probably doesn't work and I definitely don't have a sense if there are other contenders that have a bigger need than we do (I think we clearly have to prioritize D).  The fact that he got bought out might help but seems like he also clearly took the 1 year deal last year hoping to turn that into a better contract this year.  Feels like more likely than not he's playing somewhere else next year.

I'm good resigning Steel if we could get him cheap.   We are clearly extending Harley.   Are we giving up on Nils?  What are they thinking about Dellandrea?

Some stuff to be figured out for sure but we are in a much better place than most.  In Nill we trust at this point.   

Withdrawal symptoms are hitting hard this week. I might pull the trigger on some season tickets for next season. I used to have them before having kids, and now they are old enough to start enjoying them.

16 hours ago, Constant said:

Withdrawal symptoms are hitting hard this week. I might pull the trigger on some season tickets for next season. I used to have them before having kids, and now they are old enough to start enjoying them.

Just know you will take a bath on most regular season games to the extent you want to sell.  Particularly your Mon-Weds games early in the season or really at any point on a weekday if playing a shitty opponent without a big fanbase.  It's good for playoffs though to not have to worry about tix and a nice discount to face.  We decided to keep them again next year for convenience (we also got a discount next year as a returning season member compared to what new members pay).  I'm actually about to update my spreadsheet to settle up games we sold with my seat partner.  Can let you know the average we received for games sold when interested once I finish.

• Like 1

PSA: Make sure your burner email account is signed up for the NHL Shop and Fanatics.  Last year in (I think) August they had a 2 day sale on the black Dallas Stars hoodie the players were wearing all season long.  It was half off with free shipping.  I was under $40 to my front door from the NHL Shop.

• Drool 1

Color scheme is a nice throwback. That’s kind of a mess though.

Flip side is Utah’s color scheme is going to look great. I’m hoping they go Utah Yeti for the nickname, I think.

On 6/16/2024 at 11:04 AM, C-Man said:

What can I say, I’m a sucker for light blue. Probably stems from being a Houston Oilers fan.

Yea, I like it too.  Baby blue as the primary color will look solid. 

Also.....

https://www.247sportsxtreme.com/2024/06/18/breaking-dallas-stars-finally-clears-the-air-on-thier-stance-in-sensational-defensemans-deal/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR0D5qBE4eVsJ5lMaiqrpy7mYPVzmmx5pUSy-GN60tYdHxZA1_GFDsAA7DI_aem_9lICFn_r6Iejg4aXO3CKQg

Breaking: Dallas Stars Finally Clears the Air on thier Stance in Sensational Defenseman’s Deal…

June 18, 2024 Sports_xtreme Dallas stars, Uncategorized 0

d-161.jpg

The Dallas Stars are considering buying out defenseman Ryan Suter’s contract, as discussed in the latest NHL Rumours.

With the offseason buzzing due to the upcoming draft and free agency, trade talks and potential buyouts are rampant.

The Stars, under head coach Pete DeBoer, have been highly successful in recent seasons, reaching the conference finals consecutively.

However, with key decisions looming, such as the retirement of veteran Joe Pavelski and pending free agent Matt Duchene, financial maneuvering is crucial.

Buying out Suter, whose contract has one year left with a $3.65 million cap hit, could free up essential funds for the team.

This move would see the Stars paying $783k in the first year and $1.4 million in the second, allowing them to allocate resources toward younger talent like Thomas Harley and Nils Lundkvist, potentially strengthening the team’s foundation for future success.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, markstanco said:

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Save money on suter- good idea. Spend some of it on nils- …

just looked at our cap situation - Nill is gonna be busy in the offseason. We only have 8 forwards and 3 d men on NHL contracts right now (2 if you remove Suter)

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/stars

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

Woah.  Traded Dellandrea for a 4th rounder.  Not much value in that trade at all.  I'm guessing too much of a cap hit to extend given whatever else they are about to get done?  Need to see some analysis on this or the corresponding move. Of all FO personnel in teams I follow, I trust Nill the most, but didn't expect that.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

damn, 1st rounder garnering a 4th round pick. wonder what Nill is up to.

Cutting his losses.

First rounder 6 years ago who was kind of a reach then and has done nothing to distinguish himself since. 

When you're getting lapped by guys like Sam Steel and Craig Smith and you're outscored by Hakanpaa, it's time for a change of scenery.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Not surprised he was moved but thought he had more value than a 4th (which is next to nothing).  He's a nightly bottom 6 player on a team without the Stars forward depth.

he was a RFA. guessing that's the best we could get without re-signing him. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

he was a RFA. guessing that's the best we could get without re-signing him. 

As of last season, there was no compensation required for signing an RFA to a contract < $1.4M, which I can't imagine TD would get so it's not like we could get draft pick compensation if someone else had signed him.  

I think we would have had to offer him at least $945K to keep him from being reclassified as an UFA.

It was just time to move on, for him, too.

19 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

As of last season, there was no compensation required for signing an RFA to a contract < $1.4M, which I can't imagine TD would get so it's not like we could get draft pick compensation if someone else had signed him.  

I think we would have had to offer him at least $945K to keep him from being reclassified as an UFA.

It was just time to move on, for him, too.

Makes sense.  We got something for him and Nill made sure to get him in a situation where he should get plenty of playing time with an opportunity to take a step forward.  Probably viewed as a solid W by his friends in the locker room.   I think it's pretty clear Nill has a reputation for doing right by players.

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I think @C-Man was asking about this. kinda disappointing honestly. we lost not because we were injured but because we were tired and outmatched, I guess.

Yeah, it was me. I desperately wanted to be able to pin Roope's mostly-poor playoff performance to some kind of injury.