Dallas Stars 2024 Offseason Thread

Fantastic value on the Duchene contract.  It obviously helps he is still getting paid by Nashville.  But clearly shows all the stuff he said about really liking it in Dallas and wanting to stay wasn't just lip service.  Obviously glad we didn't match that Tanev offer.  Just too long a window to be dealing with an inevitable buyout in 3-4 years.  Will be interesting to see what else we get done on D.  Looking like we may very well end up hoping our offense can carry us to the trade deadline and putting pieces together for a run at that time.

22 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

Stamkos and Marchessault to the Preds.

I'm certainly not tied in to the Preds or their plans but I kind of assumed they were in rebuild/reset mode after buyouts last year.   Then they sign 2 guys that are 33 and 34 respectively to long term deals?  They still have to have a ton of dead cap space.  I may need to have to search out an Nashville insider article on a plane later this week to figure out what I'm missing because those feel like "win now" signings.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

LOL.  Alright, someone smarter than I am is going to have to break all this down for me.

I think in the case of Steele and Lundy they allowed them to hit the market, talk to other teams, and ultimately decided to resign with the Stars. there's probably contract/cap shenanigans at play that we're not privy to (or don't have knowledge of)

my big takeaway from today is all short contracts. that's good.

It's a good thing Nill has built up a lot of good will because otherwise I would be motherfucking today.  Great value on Duchene only to make several WTF moves.  Like Tiffin wrote, I would probably be pissed if I were Duchene to take a big discount only to watch extra money go to players that have proven to be sub-par.

33 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's a good thing Nill has built up a lot of good will because otherwise I would be motherfucking today.  Great value on Duchene only to make several WTF moves.  Like Tiffin wrote, I would probably be pissed if I were Duchene to take a big discount only to watch extra money go to players that have proven to be sub-par.

Same here.  It's really hard to ignore that annual salaries of dumba and the dude whose name I'm not even going to try to spell combine to equal what Montour got per year, and yeah, I know the term is a lot different, but dayum.

53 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Signing players with the intent of trading them immediately feels shady.  I am assuming the players are unaware in such a situation, otherwise why would they sign?

And why would someone trade for them, when they could have just signed them without giving up any compensation to Dallas?

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

And why would someone trade for them, when they could have just signed them without giving up any compensation to Dallas?

That, I can at least understand. Maybe a team doesn’t have cap room to sign FAs and has someone they are willing to move to make room.  But Dallas isn’t exactly signing top line players here. 

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

If these were team friendly contracts I might agree with trade bait, but pretty much universally thought to be horrible contracts from the commentary I've read.  Particularly Ilybushkin or whatever his name is which I've seen multiple people indicate is in the running for the worst contract signed yesterday.

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That, I can at least understand. Maybe a team doesn’t have cap room to sign FAs and has someone they are willing to move to make room.  But Dallas isn’t exactly signing top line players here. 

Yeah, I forgot about the retaining salaries feature in the NHL.  I hate salary caps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure there is precedent for this but don't have time to look it up.

Faksa to the Blues. Only reinforces my hunch.