2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

47 minutes ago, troph said:

my brother in law is a former meteorologist and says this could be the one. he's got one model he's looking at that has 10 inches plus in Cen Tex - bullseye of 14 inches - he's not betting on that model or any at this point but says this is as close as we've gotten to a lake filling opportunity as we've had in the last 3-4 years. Screen shot of what he sent my wife:

IMG_0029.jpeg

We are now holding you to this rumor, Troph!   Will be disappointed in less than 5”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

my brother in law is a former meteorologist and says this could be the one. he's got one model he's looking at that has 10 inches plus in Cen Tex - bullseye of 14 inches - he's not betting on that model or any at this point but says this is as close as we've gotten to a lake filling opportunity as we've had in the last 3-4 years. Screen shot of what he sent my wife:

What's the timeframe the model is predicting for that accumulation?

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Through Friday.

sorry, through Sunday the 23rd.

I'm not reading the map well, I guess.  I am most concerned with rain bombs -- is this a "2-3 inch per day" model or a "14-inch in one day" model?

Posted (edited)

NWS 

IMG_4964.jpeg

European 

IMG_4965.jpeg

American

IMG_4963.jpeg

when KXAN laughs at 11-14 inches you know it’s not been seen in these parts in a long while because ain’t no one laughing at that people could get hurt with that much, uh rain.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Let’s just nuke the fucking system. 

i am genuinely torn on when to do the next organic weed application.  I do it today, it’ll help ahead of the rain sucking weeds.  But could have a much more of a runoff.  Or do I wait a week until this downpour is over and then apply to what will probably be a more robust set of shit grasses and weeds?

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Let’s just nuke the fucking system. 

i am genuinely torn on when to do the next organic weed application.  I do it today, it’ll help ahead of the rain sucking weeds.  But could have a much more of a runoff.  Or do I wait a week until this downpour is over and then apply to what will probably be a more robust set of shit grasses and weeds?

I’m doing June organic fertilizer Tuesday.  What’s your organic weed stopper?

• Hook 'Em 1

Officially 91L with two recon flights planned for today. 70% chance of being named within 48 hours.

TLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. SUSPECT AREA (BAY OF CAMPECHE)
       FLIGHT ONE - TEAL 71          FLIGHT TWO - TEAL 72
       A. 17/1800Z                   A. 18/1130Z,1730Z
       B. AFXXX 01AAA INVEST         B. AFXXX 0201A CYCLONE
       C. 17/1515Z                   C. 18/0915Z
       D. 19.5N 92.0W                D. 22.5N 93.5W
       E. 17/1730Z TO 17/2230Z       E. 18/1100Z TO 18/1730Z
       F. SFC TO 10,000 FT           F. SFC TO 10,000 FT
       G. LOW-LEVEL INVEST           G. FIX
       H. NO WRA ACTIVATION          H. NO WRA ACTIVATION (CORRECTED)

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, WBT said:

far fewer people evacuated

Rita was such a clusterfuck because people were scared from Katrina.  Despite not living below sea level.

After Rita turned and the Houston area got nothing, they swung back to thinking they'll never evacuate again. 

People are dumb.

It wasn't about sea level.  Rita was a beast...

"After entering the Gulf of Mexico, Rita rapidly intensified over the very warm waters of the loop current and within an environment of very weak vertical wind shear. Rita reached a peak intensity of category 5 with sustained winds of 180 mph (155 knots) and a minimum pressure of 895 millibars (26.43 inches) at 10 PM CDT September 21st. This low pressure makes Rita the strongest hurricane every recorded in the Gulf of Mexico, and 4th strongest in the Atlantic Basin.

https://www.weather.gov/lch/rita_main

It was heading towards Houston until about 20 hours before landfall and then it took that right turn into LA and hit as a Cat 3.  

We stayed home... I remember what a cluster it was but Rita was a massive hurricane.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, texasdago said:

It wasn't about sea level.  Rita was a beast...

"After entering the Gulf of Mexico, Rita rapidly intensified over the very warm waters of the loop current and within an environment of very weak vertical wind shear. Rita reached a peak intensity of category 5 with sustained winds of 180 mph (155 knots) and a minimum pressure of 895 millibars (26.43 inches) at 10 PM CDT September 21st. This low pressure makes Rita the strongest hurricane every recorded in the Gulf of Mexico, and 4th strongest in the Atlantic Basin.

https://www.weather.gov/lch/rita_main

It was heading towards Houston until about 20 hours before landfall and then it took that right turn into LA and hit as a Cat 3.  

We stayed home... I remember what a cluster it was but Rita was a massive hurricane.

We evacuated to Alexandria for Katrina, and even in North Louisiana it was strong enough for Rita to take out the power there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, troph said:

I’m doing June organic fertilizer Tuesday.  What’s your organic weed stopper?

I kinda alternate between a home-made blend vinegar-based one, or Weedtaliator Organocide from my local nursery.  

We had a new invasive species this year (presumably because it was a wetter than usual springs).  And I'm still not sure what to use on it.  Because it's just been laughing at my efforts the last few weeks.  

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I kinda alternate between a home-made blend vinegar-based one, or Weedtaliator Organocide from my local nursery.  

We had a new invasive species this year (presumably because it was a wetter than usual springs).  And I'm still not sure what to use on it.  Because it's just been laughing at my efforts the last few weeks.  

Do you have new neighbors from Denver? Maybe you should just let it grow...see how it goes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

oh okay an indiscriminate plant killer, I use vinegar in rock covered flower beds for certain weeds. but I don't use it on the lawn...

12 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

just bend over and pull it up. Or get a miniature cow.

I do squats for exercise, when yanking weeds out of the lawn. once it's thick and growing, it does a decent job of crowding out the weeds.  I saw a thing that the exercise from gardening, I think weed pulling counts, is deceptively strenuous and great for longevity. in fact, gardening and walking are two of the most important activities we can do to age well. weed pulling it is!  right now my lawn is basically weed free* / **

* I am monitoring growth that is under control for weeds that aren't an eye sore.

** We will be gone for a month and I expect to come back to a wild prairie of weeds everywhere especially wild bermuda growing like a hungry teenager.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

image.png.85d06763fe3a766f7ca0a51f847c10ab.png

Better than what you usually get. Some people just are never happy.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

oh okay an indiscriminate plant killer, I use vinegar in rock covered flower beds for certain weeds. but I don't use it on the lawn...

I do squats for exercise, when yanking weeds out of the lawn. once it's thick and growing, it does a decent job of crowding out the weeds.  I saw a thing that the exercise from gardening, I think weed pulling counts, is deceptively strenuous and great for longevity. in fact, gardening and walking are two of the most important activities we can do to age well. weed pulling it is!

Vinegar is good for spot treatment. Cows are better for continual .Plus Mini-Zebus are cute as shit.

And yeah, work in the garden is a good way to stay out and about.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Go wash your car and turn on all the neighbors faucets.

I have a couple yellowish patches in the yard - I'll plop a sprinkler in between them for a few hours this evening.