2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

25 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Were they planning on shooting the hurricane?

There wasn't anybody in that part of the terminal, other than the gate we landed at.

For Security I presume. A major airport's closing down is a rare event. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was at the Hyatt in Downtown Houston when Ike was coming ashore in ‘08.  Hotel lobby was full of search and rescue teams from places like Los Angeles.  They had all their gear and shit stacked everywhere.  National Guard must have showed up after I left.

#teamhobby

#pappasstrong

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Per a chemical plant contact who’s job is hurricane preparedness - he was told this shouldn’t get to hurricane strength. Winds will top out around 50 mph. Expect the biggest tropical storm ever, massive rain fall. They’re making plans on people not being able to make it to work and what not 

Tropical Storm Allison in June, 2001 dropped 40" of rain on Jefferson County (Beaumont), flooding 70,000 houses in SE Texas( ~50 mph winds). It was unusual in that it kept moving and still dropped a lot of rain the all the way up the Atlantic coast.

Other rainfall totals:

Port of Houston 36.99"

Thibodaux, LA 29.86"

Florida 11+" in one day

N. Carolina 16"
Pennsylvania 10.17"

New York 3" in one hour

Rhode Island 7.1"

image.png.2dd7bf57aad6264c643b68d81bfa1ccc.png  

42 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Per a chemical plant contact who’s job is hurricane preparedness - he was told this shouldn’t get to hurricane strength. Winds will top out around 50 mph. Expect the biggest tropical storm ever, massive rain fall. They’re making plans on people not being able to make it to work and what not 

IMG_2860.gif.5993dd96c6b9f3ec3a67fa128461ad81.gif

• Haha 1

"Historic Heat Dome meets Gyre Dome Flooding!  Here's what that means for the Caldera eruption refugees to the West.  Back to Bob with Sports." 

Wife was talking to her parents about this.  Her dad is a weather nut, having been in farming and cattle ranching in extreme weather for 50 years.  And I heard her mom on speakerphone say, in one breath, these extreme weather events could signal a return of Jesus but that these extreme weather events are part of a perfectly normal cycle.  And I realized there's millions of people that hold that cognitive dissonance in their heads.  

Can't wait to hear the researchers chime in on East Asiatic Typhoon hitting San Diego.

I was speaking with the owner of Interstellar Barbecue who used to own Noble Pig and has franchised out the Noble Pig at the airport. Airports don't allow restaurants to use their own vendors. They must use airport approved vendors with limited choices. This means that the food quality at airports will be different from the food quality at offsite restaurants.

Yeah? Makes sense. And fuck that dude - whoring out your name so you can make a few dollars tricking people into eating your food.

And that goes for everyone at ABIA as well - worst fucking food on the planet, poorly designed, hot, packed, stupid, changing security bullshit.

I hate abia. If it can be fucked up, Austin will do it.

13 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Understand. That is why I said we need more than just 1 storm.

but keep in mind, this storm is coming from the East. So those areas that will flood are going to already be flooding.

20% chance already for a second storm right in the same spot...

image.thumb.png.619af591ac291e7a22835d5896794b41.png

• Hook 'Em 1

looks like .5 - 1.5 inches for northern half of ATX viewing area, as much as 3 inches in the southern half, but yeah those rain totals are quickly disappearing making the European model look smarty and the American model look like a fucking moron. shocking I'm sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

making the European model look smarty and the American model look like a fucking moron.

Well, that never happens.  Can we just pull funding from whatever federal department hands out money to our meteorologists?  

Got 1 child at UT right now, tennis camp, ends Thursday afternoon.  Got other child in Hunt at summer camp.  That ends on 29th but she's the captain of the canoe for the damned canoe race, tomorrow afternoon.

And, leaving on 7/2 to go to BVI to sail for a week.

Likelihood a tropical weather event jams me up - gotta be approaching 100%.  My best prediction is that tennis camp gets rained out on Wednesday, canoe race goes forward (farther west and south), and then my entire family survives a Cat 5 in the west indies, and we live like the Swiss Family Robinson or Castaway until Marriott and the cruise lines show up to rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, PTINS said:

Tropical Storm Allison in June, 2001 dropped 40" of rain on Jefferson County (Beaumont), flooding 70,000 houses in SE Texas( ~50 mph winds). It was unusual in that it kept moving and still dropped a lot of rain the all the way up the Atlantic coast.

Other rainfall totals:

Port of Houston 36.99"

Thibodaux, LA 29.86"

Florida 11+" in one day

N. Carolina 16"
Pennsylvania 10.17"

New York 3" in one hour

Rhode Island 7.1"

image.png.2dd7bf57aad6264c643b68d81bfa1ccc.png  

I remember watching that one roll in from the top floor of Moody Gardens in Galveston.  Fun times.

1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

This storm is a giant mess. Thankfully this is just going to bring some beneficial rain.

Beneficial Rain sounds like it could be the next up and coming act that parlays a lot of buzz at SXSW in to a slot at ACL Festival next year 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Beneficial Rain sounds like it could be the next up and coming act that parlays a lot of buzz at SXSW in to a slot at ACL Festival next year 

I found lobo’s sock account!!! 

3 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

This storm is a giant mess. Thankfully this is just going to bring some beneficial rain.

I’m still trying to will this to a 4-5 inch LT rain bomb. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Banging large women in a pool is more sport than pleasure.

Vic knows.  He always knows. 

34 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

If we don't get rain in Central Texas I am kicking a lawyer or a developer. Maybe both.

Make a serious statement and kick the developer’s lawyer.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Every guy on here hooked up with "Gyrating tropical blob #1" at one spring break or another.  Don't you lie to me.'

If you spend enough time drinking in Padre, you're bound to ride out a Cat 5 or two. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

fuck, we have 4 vacation houses booked there for the extended family in 6 weeks

Good buddy is staying at my place in Addison and lost all his ring and other home Internet shit. He thinks his place is gone. I was in Colorado Springs when those fires were heavy a few years ago that shit is not be fucked with

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You Austin people that get your hopes up for rain from tropical storms always crack me up.  Do y'all not have maps over there?  You live 200 god damn miles from the Gulf.

As the crow flies, it's 126 miles from downtown to Lavaca Bay.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Every guy on here hooked up with "Gyrating tropical blob #1" at one spring break or another.  Don't you lie to me.

West Virginia girl visiting Panama City in 2007. Remember it like it was yesterday

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You Austin people that get your hopes up for rain from tropical storms always crack me up.  Do y'all not have maps over there?  You live 200 god damn miles from the Gulf.

I mean….until Harvey came along, for nearly 100 years, the single day rainfall record in the entire US was held by Thrall, right next to Austin. The rain event was a stalled tropical storm.
What saved Lake Travis during the last drought was something like 9 inches dumped by Hermine in 2010.
Hurricane Allen buttfucked Austin in 1980.
But we ain’t getting shit from this one.
  • Hook 'Em 2