2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

10 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

I’m starting to get a little concerned in gulf land.  
people are going to blindly start heading to their 4th of July coastal festivities not realizing there might be a mega storm entering the gulf soon.. 

Who plans a trip to the beach and doesn’t pay attention to the weather forecast?

• Hook 'Em 3

SUMMARY OF 1135 AM AST...1535 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...10.8N 54.9W
ABOUT 350 MI...565 KM ESE OF BARBADOS
ABOUT 460 MI...740 KM E OF GRENADA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 21 MPH...33 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB...28.41 INCHES

First June category 4 ever recorded

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And then the one behind it would be named Derel and then down the line there would be a Larry.  

Don't be ridiculous.  There's no hurricanes in Vermont.  Unless the Japanese bought it all up and brought Tsunamis to drive down property values to bring prices down, which was all a dream in the end 

45 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Who plans a trip to the beach and doesn’t pay attention to the weather forecast?

Yes, we get dumb visitors to our shores.  But also remember that every single extreme weather event in Texas always also has the Native Texan who is gonna "Stand My Ground and not told what to do!"  Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Floods, Extreme Heat, Extended Freezes, etc.  It's the old tale of the man by the river and the 3 warnings god sent him.  Our visitors are pretty fucking stupid but we got a lot of neighbors who say, "Oh yeah, hold my beer." 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Don't be ridiculous.  There's no hurricanes in Vermont.  Unless the Japanese bought it all up and brought Tsunamis to drive down property values to bring prices down, which was all a dream in the end 

Yes, we get dumb visitors to our shores.  But also remember that every single extreme weather event in Texas always also has the Native Texan who is gonna "Stand My Ground and not told what to do!"  Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Floods, Extreme Heat, Extended Freezes, etc.  It's the old tale of the man by the river and the 3 warnings god sent him.  Our visitors are pretty fucking stupid but we got a lot of neighbors who say, "Oh yeah, hold my beer." 

Merry Christmas to you too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

SUMMARY OF 1135 AM AST...1535 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...10.8N 54.9W
ABOUT 350 MI...565 KM ESE OF BARBADOS
ABOUT 460 MI...740 KM E OF GRENADA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 21 MPH...33 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...962 MB...28.41 INCHES

First June category 4 ever recorded

First Atlantic Cat 4 in June?

Jurassic Park Hold Onto Your Butts GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

people are going to blindly start heading to their 4th of July coastal festivities not realizing there might be a mega storm entering the gulf soon.. 

im a packing a bag tomorrow, packing meds, and keeping the car full. I’ll be ready to bug out asap 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, we get dumb visitors to our shores.  But also remember that every single extreme weather event in Texas always also has the Native Texan who is gonna "Stand My Ground and not told what to do!"

Eh, it's mostly those dumbasses from Chicago...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But also remember that every single extreme weather event in Texas always also has the Native Texan who is gonna "Stand My Ground and not told what to do!"  Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Floods, Extreme Heat, Extended Freezes, etc

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

After Twisters hits theaters next month, expect a whole shitload of new would-be storm chasers, some of whom might just livestream their demise.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

IF, Texas gulf coast becomes a target then the tourists are going to muck up preparations and evacuations. Bad timing (close to 4th of July) if this storm heads to Texas.

Still too far out to have a semi-accurate cone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Obviously we’ve had plenty of extreme  weather events over the years as adults.  We’ve done our parts as humans to assist victims of hurricanes and earthquakes and floods.  

when I was barely a teenager  a Boy Scout, the deadliest tornado to hit  the Chicago area in decades obliterated a distant suburb that I lived between the city and Plainfield.  People went to help clean up.  Even at a young age, you could tell there were bodies of folks that tried to seek shelter, still others that just didn’t know what to do despite the warnings out of confusion and panic, and then those that were still sitting in recliners and a plate of food, with the TV or radio still on.  

I’ve never worked Red Cross, FEMA, forensics, or Coroners duty.  But I have looked in the dead eyes of people who thought they could beat Mother Nature because they’d lived on that land all their lives and had a gun and a pack of smokes.  And the region don’t matter.  Put the fear of God in me.  In the end, Yankee carpetbagger or 8th generation Texan.  She can come for us anytime, nothing to do with our birth certificates.  Why we’d defy her warnings for A chance at a Busch light on the beach Is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Fyi to those on the coast there is an app called encircle that lets you take quick inventory of your house and possessions.  I update it every July..  just in case 

Thanks.

Good idea to do this whether being on the coast or not. Fire and the like, for one thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1