2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Break out the ‘70s K-Tel compilations as well.

Man….I had one of those on cassette, it was 70s country hits, the Sundown collection. I damn near wore that motherfucker out. Check out this fucking track list:

A1 Willie Nelson– My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
A2 Eddie Rabbitt– Pour Me Another Tequila
A3 Moe Bandy & Joe Stampley– Holding The Bag
A4 Statler Brothers*– Nothing As Original As You
A5 Don Williams (2)– It Must Be Love
A6 John Conlee– Baby, You're Something
A7 Gene Watson– Nothing Sure Looked Good On You
A8 Charlie Daniels Band*– The Devil Went Down To Georgia
B1 Larry Gatlin– All The Gold In California
B2 Crystal Gayle– Half The Way
B3 Jennifer Warnes– I Know A Heartache When I See One
B4 Conway Twitty– Don't Take It Away
B5 Jim Ed Brown & Helen Cornelius– Fools
B6 Dave & Sugar*– Stay With Me
B7 The Kendalls– You'd Make An Angel Wanna Cheat
B8 Barbara Mandrell– Fooled By A Feeling

That there’s suitable for celebrating America, riding out a hurricane, or whatever other musical needs you might have.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

42 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Beryl finally is starting to get ripped apart and weakening pretty quickly. Might only be a TS when it crosses the Yucatán

Thought that was the projection all along? Then maybe builds back up to Cat 1 in the gulf. Or was it still supposed to be hurricane strength when it hit the Yucatán? 

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Man….I had one of those on cassette, it was 70s country hits, the Sundown collection. I damn near wore that motherfucker out. Check out this fucking track list:

That there’s suitable for celebrating America, riding out a hurricane, or whatever other musical needs you might have.

Needs some Ray Stevens and Charlie Pride, otherwise a solid playlist. 

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Thought that was the projection all along? Then maybe builds back up to Cat 1 in the gulf. Or was it still supposed to be hurricane strength when it hit the Yucatán? 

it was - it just took its time deteriorating. 

Posted (edited)

IMG_0913.jpeg

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0915.jpeg

HOUSTON — As of 10 a.m. Thursday, Hurricane Berylhad weakened slightly. The Category 3 storm now has winds at 115 mph.

The forecast from the National Hurricane Center has not changed, taking the storm across the Yucatan on Friday as a strong Cat. 1 or weak Cat. 2, then into the Gulf of Mexico as a tropical storm that may be able to reach Cat. 1 intensity before making landfall in northern Mexico or South Texas.  

Edited by tx 3 putt

14 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Sorry for my coastal friends, but I feel like anything less than a Cat 2 at landfall will just evaporate into nothing before getting to central TX.

Well, good news is,  fuck what you think

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Sorry for my coastal friends, but I feel like anything less than a Cat 2 at landfall will just evaporate into nothing before getting to central TX.

There is no paper jam 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Levi saying that those north of the Texas-Mexico borderline need to still watch their corn holes.  A slight track north obviously means a landfall further north - but more importantly that more northern track allows additional time over water for Beryl to strengthen in a very warm gulf.    IOW, Intensity considerations are just as important as where it actually hits if it creeps north.

And, as always, just as important to those meteorologic considerations is the way the public reacts to news that something might be coming their way. It is always good to get gas and food and other emergency supplies now in case “the end is near” lemming reaction starts to happen in a day or so. 

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

this storm is creeping north 

2:30PM July 4th Beryl Update:

I want to mentally prepare you to potentially shift your expectations on Beryl's impacts to Texas next week. The storm's intensity has decreased but it has consistently tracked on the right side of the cone, or north of expectations. You can clearly see that when I lay down last night's consensus computer model tracks vs. the storm's current position and this afternoon's computer model tracks.

In my view, this is making it more likely that Beryl lands on the Texas side of the border with Mexico. Folks in South Texas need to be preparing for a potential hurricane strike on Monday, and we need to keep our guard up along the middle and upper Texas coastlines, too, in case it keeps riding the right side of the cone.

Let's wait and see what the National Hurricane Center does in their new forecast at 4PM. I wish I could go into more depth right now on all that I'm seeing in the data, but I'm doing the 3PM, 4PM, 5PM, 6PM, 9PM, and 10PM news hours on TV today, so all posts today will be brief and likely much shorter than what I just did here.

I'll do my best to keep you posted.

Live Stream: abc13.com/live
Tropical Update: abc13.com/tropicalupdate

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

this storm is creeping north 

2:30PM July 4th Beryl Update:

I want to mentally prepare you to potentially shift your expectations on Beryl's impacts to Texas next week. The storm's intensity has decreased but it has consistently tracked on the right side of the cone, or north of expectations. You can clearly see that when I lay down last night's consensus computer model tracks vs. the storm's current position and this afternoon's computer model tracks.

In my view, this is making it more likely that Beryl lands on the Texas side of the border with Mexico. Folks in South Texas need to be preparing for a potential hurricane strike on Monday, and we need to keep our guard up along the middle and upper Texas coastlines, too, in case it keeps riding the right side of the cone.

Let's wait and see what the National Hurricane Center does in their new forecast at 4PM. I wish I could go into more depth right now on all that I'm seeing in the data, but I'm doing the 3PM, 4PM, 5PM, 6PM, 9PM, and 10PM news hours on TV today, so all posts today will be brief and likely much shorter than what I just did here.

I'll do my best to keep you posted.

Live Stream: abc13.com/live
Tropical Update: abc13.com/tropicalupdate

IMG_0919.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

Herzog is such a doomcaster.   His verbiage just drips with cum over the though of scaring Houstonians 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

Herzog is such a doomcaster.   His verbiage just drips with cum over the though of scaring Houstonians 

im going to Costco here shortly to get in line for 10am tomorrow 

Saturday morning will be the important forecast 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

So if they can track it well but not predict intensity, that must mean that track and intensity aren’t correlated much, if at all.  I don’t know f that’s surprising or revelatory, but I probably would have thought that storms of differing intensity would react differently to whatever stimuli affect their path. 

The SA and west hill country need rain in a bad way. This could be what is needed. Medina and Canyon are very low. 

On another note, the webcams of Cozumel and Cancun make Yucatan look like a ghost town but there are a few typical looking American “ride or die” types still in the pools and on the beach.

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

im going to Costco here shortly to get in line for 10am tomorrow 

Saturday morning will be the important forecast 

Costco closed today. Saving you a trip since I already made that mistake today.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Nice. As I currently sit here in Galveston Co. near the bay, with a brisket on, my good friends Jim Beam and Topo with Johnny Cash Willie Nelson. Sweating the track of the storm, never turn you back on the sea!

I know… it’s the gulf, but still! Hope you fuckers in the hills get what you wish for, God knows y’all need it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Nice. As I currently sit here in Galveston Co. near the bay, with a brisket on, my good friends Jim Beam and Topo with Johnny Cash Willie Nelson. Sweating the track of the storm, never turn you back on the sea!

I know… it’s the gulf, but still! Hope you fuckers in the hills get what you wish for, God knows y’all need it.

Life we chose.  Love the bay though 

• Like 1

NEW AT 8:30PM JULY 4TH:

Hurricane Hunters have confirmed Beryl is a Category 3 hurricane again ahead of a Yucatan Peninsula landfall tomorrow morning. 

The new NHC forecast cone comes out at 10 p.m.

abc13.com/tropicalupdate

IMG_0924.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1