2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Wife was one of two finalists to work down in Palacios at the P&W Hatchery. She was pissed she did not get it, and so was I. Live on the bay and do fuck all since there is no overhead.

Told her about the storm and she looked at me and said glad I did not get it, you would be moving everything.

I smiled and said, yeah, but look at it like this. All that shit is going to be rebuilt and that requires more staff this time with Federal funds as well.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

10 am update from NWS has landfall early Monday morning just SW of Corpus. Each update gets a little further up the coast. Right now looking like this thing could come in anywhere from Baffin to Matagorda.

No further shift in the 1 pm update. The updates tomorrow afternoon will really start helping to narrow down where this thing is heading.

image.png.9c9da7be42bf247361504eef63f2b028.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

No further shift in the 1 pm update. The updates tomorrow afternoon will really start helping to narrow down where this thing is heading.

image.png.9c9da7be42bf247361504eef63f2b028.png

Tomorrow’s update in open water will be the eye opener. If the storm is moving quickly, there won’t be much time to react, prep, and get out: 

Next briefing at 5 pm ….

****IMPORTANT****

11:30 AM briefing with the National Weather Service does not look good. 

There’s still a lot of factors to look at, however we were informed to start making preparations for a Cat 2 and possibly a Cat 3 if the storm continues a northern tract causing it to stay over water longer to intensify. It will all depend on what happens after it crosses the Yucatan. 

The next briefing will be at 5:00 PM this afternoon and I will continue to pass the information on as it becomes available. 

David Hall
Commissioner Precinct 1
Calhoun County

• Hook 'Em 2

So at Canyon Lake with some family that live in Victoria. they were planning to head home tomorrow morning anyway, but aren’t paying attention to any of this.
Think I’m going to keep it that way and not ruin their afternoon 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Insurance companies in Texas:

life suicide GIF by David

Why?  They’ll just apply for rate hike and the state will say yes, under threat of carriers refusing to carry Texas coastal counties. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Why?  They’ll just apply for take hike and the state will say yes, under threat of carriers refusing to carry Texas coastal counties. 

Right.

more like “consumers of Texas insurance companies.”

I’m sure I’ll be switching carriers from Germania when my home insurance renewal comes up in August, with them being so concentrated in Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTexasFight said:

So at Canyon Lake with some family that live in Victoria. they were planning to head home tomorrow morning anyway, but aren’t paying attention to any of this.

I’m not overly worried until it hits open water. City / County / chem plants have to start prepping as if it’s hitting them 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

I’m not overly worried until it hits open water. City / County / chem plants have to start prepping as if it’s hitting them 

Right.as posted above really have to wait until it clears the Yucatán to dial this thing in.

no need in worrying the in-laws until then 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_2860.gif.6130c8aa8bd29dd20c805dd27689d43f.gif

i’m wondering about the local Houston weather channels and what they are telling the public right now.   Please update.   My buddy lived in Houston, but his wife passed away, so he moved to Florida and remarried.   I was with him last weekend in Florida and he was talking about finally getting around to selling his place in Houston.

LOL.   there may be some home equity changes in his  near future.

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the latest intensity forecast has this thing mostly staying below Hurricane strength.

02L_intensity_18z.png

It's at a (low) Cat 1 now. Unless the water temp goes from 86 to 66 over the next 48 - 72 hours not sure how this can be. 

But I'm no Yeomans so whatever. 

19 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cat 3 is fucking meh…. Even if its a direct hit to houston

Bullshit. Ike fucked things up and it was a Cat 2…and lost of Houston wasn’t on the “dirty side” of Ike. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Cat 3 is fucking meh…. Even if its a direct hit to houston

Yeah but lower intensity storms have a history of stalling over Houston and force feeding it a few feet of rain. Allison was a TS I believe. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I live at Canyon Lake with my boat anchored in a cove a few hundred feet from my front door and you can bet your ass I'm watching this thing like a mf'er.  

Yin & Yang.

On one hand, gotta get that boat out with only one viable ramp in operation and, on the other hand, COME ON BABY AND POUR ON THIS PLACE!!!

Bullshit. Ike fucked things up and it was a Cat 2…and lost of Houston wasn’t on the “dirty side” of Ike. 

Yup, here near Galveston Bay, it wrecked shop! We of course, GTFOd!

20’ storm surge, look what happened to Boliver! Not good Bob!

Do not FAFO with a Cat 2 or greater!
  • Hook 'Em 3

It's at a (low) Cat 1 now. Unless the water temp goes from 86 to 66 over the next 48 - 72 hours not sure how this can be. 
But I'm no Yeomans so whatever. 

Faster it moves slower it will develop into >Cat 1. This has been a fast mover from entering the Caribbean, upwards of 24 MPH.

Faster, it moves the less pull north it will have, so less time over water....win win.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Faster it moves slower it will develop into >Cat 1. This has been a fast mover from entering the Caribbean, upwards of 24 MPH.

Faster, it moves the less pull north it will have, so less time over water....win win.

Ah, thanks. Didn't know it had Bolt-like speed.  

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Next briefing at 5 pm ….

****IMPORTANT****

11:30 AM briefing with the National Weather Service does not look good. 

There’s still a lot of factors to look at, however we were informed to start making preparations for a Cat 2 and possibly a Cat 3 if the storm continues a northern tract causing it to stay over water longer to intensify. It will all depend on what happens after it crosses the Yucatan. 

The next briefing will be at 5:00 PM this afternoon and I will continue to pass the information on as it becomes available. 

David Hall
Commissioner Precinct 1
Calhoun County

Our Director was on a TDEM call at noon.  Said they're planning for Cat 1 between Corpus and Brownsville during the meeting.  Lots of rain and we'll probably head out after to help with damage assessment.

Of course, my Accuweather app shifted the prediction of the eye from Port Isabel to Corpus since noon, so...

10 minutes ago, ScottS said:

If history repeats itself as seems to happen, then Indianola is so screwed.

I feel like between fires and storms, the Indianola Fishing Marina rebuilds some part of it every couple years.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I live at Canyon Lake with my boat anchored in a cove a few hundred feet from my front door and you can bet your ass I'm watching this thing like a mf'er.  

Yin & Yang.

On one hand, gotta get that boat out with only one viable ramp in operation and, on the other hand, COME ON BABY AND POUR ON THIS PLACE!!!

Tulum says hi

image.png

• Haha 1