2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Harvey hit Calhoun / Victoria counties damn hard. the damage was so wide spread, unlike storms in the past. Beryl might be bigger and nastier, 80 mile wide strike zone.

Word is, heb storm relief is packed and ready. Just waiting to see where this one hits. When they rolled in the day after Harvey it was like a miracle on wheels. They were helping one week before the state and female. HeB also has another team to get damaged stores up and running asap. Well organized machine 

God I love America.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ask your buddy what The Villages are like.

He is living in his new wife’s million dollar home one block from the Atlantic Ocean on the Treasure Coast. 

Last Sunday, we walked to the beach and jumped in the ocean.   The water is so murky you just have to take it on faith that a shark is not right next to you.

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

4 pm update from NHC nudges a little further east than the morning tracks, but still aiming at Corpus.

image.png.5c87347f5f84ef47648ac5022ef28e36.png

Yeah...

I'm thinking about boarding up the windows this weekend if it keeps looking that way.  We're going to make the evac call on Sunday afternoon.  We live on a canal on the island so I'll probably bail for a Cat 2.

Although getting off the island will be an absolute clusterfuck that day with all of the tourists going home AND people evacuating...

No way I'm driving up I37 if I head to my dad's at Lakehills.

Harvey hit Calhoun / Victoria counties damn hard. the damage was so wide spread, unlike storms in the past. Beryl might be bigger and nastier, 80 mile wide strike zone.

Word is, heb storm relief is packed and ready. Just waiting to see where this one hits. When they rolled in the day after Harvey it was like a miracle on wheels. They were helping one week before the state and female. HeB also has another team to get damaged stores up and running asap. Well organized machine 

Showed up in Bastrop after the first fire the next day. Said all school lunches are free for 30 days, no matter the kid. One thing they bring that gets over looked is washer and dryer units.

If there was one group I would want to go for work for it is them. I have done the FEMA rapid response thing. We sat in a hotel waiting for the all clear to start the recon. Frustrating.

Deep govt info - port Lavaca is preparing for a cat 3 to hit between Seadrift and Port Lavaca. They’re working like mad to check on elderly and get them out of danger. Known low water areas will be barricaded off some time Sunday. People are refilling meds, buying water, and food.  Evacuation order is ready for Sunday am. Possible land fall very late Sunday / early Monday 

victoria is preparing for a massive flooding event and handling evacuees from the coast

My GF's best friend owns the winery in Long Mott...hope they don't get all fucked up there.

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

No further eastward shift in the 7 PM Friday update from NWS.

image.png.ed3f25f5d08a6402e444f6d25670e927.png

I don't believe they would adjust the track until 10pm tonight (if they are going to)

• Hook 'Em 1

This sucks ass. I'm going to have haul ass to Calhoun county in the morning to help storm prep. Won't get decent surf in. We won't get rain in Austin and my fishing trip late next week will ne fucked. Hope my boat is okay.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Didn’t Harvey make landfall as a Cat 4/3 and this is predicted to be a Cat 2?

Not sure what state and FEMA assistance you’re referring to as being delayed, but we arrived in Montgomery county for staging the night of August 24th

11 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

At this rate 72 hours in advance it's going to pass east of Houston. Rita or Laura all over again. 

Hell, Florida and Georgia had better watch their cornholes.

7 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Recon just found 67 knot winds. Would appear Beryl might already be a hurricane again, 36 hours before forecast. 

All I know for sure is I will continue to pay stage 3 water restriction prices.

Thanks Biden. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Beryl took a beating and currently looks awful. Time will tell on how quickly it get it’s shit together. 

There isn't a secondary/competing vortex, so once it clears the cooler shelf waters off the Yucatan, it won't stop intensifying until landfall

Edited by Zonahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is the latest Euro that came out at 18z. Probably doesn't mean anything since it's just one run, but the trend continues east. Luckily it's not even Cat 1, but anything stronger in that particular location would be a worst case scenario for Galveston and the ship channel. All that water would get pushed into the bay and have nowhere to go but into oil refineries and houses.

Ike was stronger but a little further east. 

image.png.9703a63eeef5c3eaaa80d2657d9100e9.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

thats like worst case scenario for austin... we could get a fuckton of rain, the hill country gets an inch - maybe

Worse case?  Or best case?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

TAMU-CC pulled the trigger on mandatory evacuation by 9am tomorrow.  This includes the just-off-campus housing that a sizable % of students live in.   Seems early to me, but maybe they know it takes X hours to really get people out.

image.thumb.png.538726686378adb013f229e21e54b099.png

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Worse case?  Or best case?

point-of-view-star-wars.png

but yeah the sentiment being fuck the lakes, and oh yeah fuck austin weather dome. 6 big deep inches coming our way while 20 miles outside of town its dry as a bone

• Hook 'Em 1