2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zonahorn said:

There isn't a secondary/competing vortex, so once it clears the cooler shelf waters off the Yucatan, it won't stop intensifying until landfall

It’s essentially a swirl now with a displaced center. I don’t see it gaining any momentum until Sunday and time isn’t in its side and the environment doesn’t seem primed for rapid intensification. 

Issue is I bet it keeps trucking N so E and CenTex gets no rain. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

Beryl's potential landfall has shifted nearly *250 miles up the coast in just 24 hours* according to the latest consensus models (pink). Consequently, it'll spend more time over the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico. Impacts from #Beryl are trending upward for the Houston/Galveston area as it approaches the Texas coast as a projected hurricane. To what degree? We'll know more on Saturday. @WINKNews

IMG_0943.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

TAMU-CC pulled the trigger on mandatory evacuation by 9am tomorrow.  This includes the just-off-campus housing that a sizable % of students live in.   Seems early to me, but maybe they know it takes X hours to really get people out.

image.thumb.png.538726686378adb013f229e21e54b099.png

I don't know if that's true...

I work at TAMU-CC and we have not received a CODE BLUE alert for that.  CODE BLUE is the official TAMU-CC alert system.

Edited by Ag with kids

56 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

but yeah the sentiment being fuck the lakes, and oh yeah fuck austin weather dome. 6 big deep inches coming our way while 20 miles outside of town its dry as a bone

AI reports that in the history of the English language, this is the first time that word string was put together.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Beryl is someone’s meemaw and if you misbehave at her house she’ll make you cut your own switch for your whoopin and also she makes a lot of homemade jam when it’s cannin’ season.

That’s my meemaw 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I don't know if that's true...

I work at TAMU-CC and we have not received a CODE BLUE alert for that.  CODE BLUE is the official TAMU-CC alert system.

Sadly, its true.  There was no Code Blue, it's a direct mail to all residents of Island Housing, both on and off the island. I have a daughter in Momentum and she is not happy about this.    There is a Code Blue for Remote Operations on Monday, which of course is a bit of a problem for kids that actually live in the dorms.   Daughter hopes the hurricane keeps going north and they send an all clear by tomorrow morning before she has to leave. 

image.png.8fbde8017b9d3c9675d002cf27041174.png

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

JULY 5, 11pm - Beryl is a 60 mph tropical storm coming off the Northern Yucatan Peninsula. The 10pm forecast cone continues the north and eastward trend we've been talking about for several days now. Beryl is forecast to move into the middle TX gulf coast as a strengthening category 1 hurricane on Monday.

In depth forecast information, including forecast wind speeds, rain totals, and storm surge height in the link, here:

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/weather/hurricane/beryl-weakens-to-a-tropical-storm-over-the-yucatan-peninsula/503-030dab6a-7c6c-47aa-8077-c5dda80ddddc

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

Sadly, its true.  There was no Code Blue, it's a direct mail to all residents of Island Housing, both on and off the island. I have a daughter in Momentum and she is not happy about this.    There is a Code Blue for Remote Operations on Monday, which of course is a bit of a problem for kids that actually live in the dorms.   Daughter hopes the hurricane keeps going north and they send an all clear by tomorrow morning before she has to leave. 

She can stay at my place if needed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

JULY 5, 11pm - Beryl is a 60 mph tropical storm coming off the Northern Yucatan Peninsula. The 10pm forecast cone continues the north and eastward trend we've been talking about for several days now. Beryl is forecast to move into the middle TX gulf coast as a strengthening category 1 hurricane on Monday.

In depth forecast information, including forecast wind speeds, rain totals, and storm surge height in the link, here:

https://www.kiiitv.com/article/weather/hurricane/beryl-weakens-to-a-tropical-storm-over-the-yucatan-peninsula/503-030dab6a-7c6c-47aa-8077-c5dda80ddddc

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

So some forecast say Corpus and some say Galveston now according to this page….  Hopefully by tomorrow we can get a consensus atleast.  

21 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Might double check for her...

https://www.tamucc.edu/housing/safety.php

If a storm’s track brings it near Corpus Christi, the University will monitor the storm and send updates to students through Code Blue using their Islander email and text using their phone number in S.A.I.L. Students can update their contact information for Code Blue in S.A.I.L.

I'd hate for this to be scam that fucks with the students.  I hope I'm wrong.

But, I will send this into the university in the morning to see if anyone can find out if it's accurate if I don't get the CB notification.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So some forecast say Corpus and some say Galveston now according to this page….  Hopefully by tomorrow we can get a consensus atleast.  

At noon today, the forecast was SPI...that's why I'm waiting till mid Sunday to make the call.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0945.jpeg

Toasty

IMG_1317.thumb.jpeg.32918de23d2e27e24019a20ac77c4f02.jpeg

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Tomorrow morning is the beginning of the 4th quarter 

Meh...it's the beginning of the 3rd.

I'm not running from a Sharknado...

Sunday morning is the beginning of the 4th.

But, I'm going to keep an eye on it in case Beryl speeds up and/or develops into a Cat 2/3 and pulls a triple play to end the inning.

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

FWIW, I just texted one of my interns who would probably get one of those emails and he said he only got our code blue remote notice.

My interns like me enough to answer this late apparently...

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Nikita and Howard are really red skull and scarecrow.  This is obvious, and a serious breach of comic universes, right?

Nikita looks like Will Ferrel with a sunburn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Ive been on a family road trip the past week and pretty much every place we have gone to has gotten rain while there. We’ve been good luck to Albuquerque (it poured and flooded pretty good), flagstaff, Grand Canyon and El Paso. Returning to Austin tmr and this forecast disappoints me. Will see if my rain magnet is stronger than the force field. I predict force field wins and Houston floods and Austin is 115

8 hours ago, Indomitable said:

What a dumbass fucking name. I’ve never even heard of someone named Beryl. 

NE trajectory: Come along Beryl

Centex/ SA: Are you talking to me?

NE trajectory: No. my son’s name is also Beryl.

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I know it's 2024... but is Beryl a chick or a dude?

Beryl is a traditionally *feminine name. The masculine version is Barrel and if American naming trends continue is likely coming to a youth sports team roster in the near future. J/K...sort of.

*In America. The name was also used as a masculine name in the past. The spelling was the same as the feminine version but if one goes back far enough, there were a number of variations.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Next storm to be named is Debby so I'm going with Beryl is a bitch.

Chris already happened 

Hot off the presses

091932_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png.80aa866804e9f7a4749a2065ef6d3e4e.png

032130WPCQPF_sm.gif.a3a9221b199d716881a66e8afdad5da0.gif

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I am pretty sure in 2024 Chris is a chick name.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Chris already happened 

Don't remember Chris, so he must've been a real pussy of a storm.  Will you accept Debby as the next name?