2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Harvey was basically stationary. Beryl will be moving quite quickly. These strains aren’t alike. 

made land fall then said fuck it, I’m going back into the gulf 

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Last few updates the track has stayed pretty constant for the center to go in between Rockport and Port O’Connor. That’s good news here because Port A is jam packed with tourists and none of them seem to be leaving. We have a rental in our condo leaving tomorrow and another rental coming in tomorrow for a week. Just talked to the management company and the people are still planning on coming tomorrow. Fucking idiots.

Yeah...NPI is packed too.  Went to Stripes to grab some tacos and it was a madhouse in there.  Fucking tourons.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

made land fall then said fuck it, I’m going back into the gulf 

Yeah- Harvey was a product of what surrounded it and got stuck in idle during a weather traffic jam. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Just sayin'

Do these guys post nonsense like this on X for clicks and engagement farming?  I don't understand what good comes out of fear mongering two storms that are nothing alike. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BabaBooey said:

Do these guys post nonsense like this on X for clicks and engagement farming?  I don't understand what good comes out of fear mongering two storms that are nothing alike. 

if you do not read it as saying the storm will be exactly like Harvey, but instead read it as “do not discount a last-minute intensification into a cat one or two hurricane”, it has some value. There may be people looking at its disorganized self and saying Beryl will not be able to become a hurricane so I can ignore it.  This counters that.

22 hours ago, Cajun said:

I live at Canyon Lake with my boat anchored in a cove a few hundred feet from my front door and you can bet your ass I'm watching this thing like a mf'er.  

Yin & Yang.

On one hand, gotta get that boat out with only one viable ramp in operation and, on the other hand, COME ON BABY AND POUR ON THIS PLACE!!!

Cajun, there are three things you need to do by Monday. Wash all your cars, pour some concrete, and bale some hay. Will raise your chances of rain to about 100%.

CHIEF

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, BabaBooey said:

I see you’re completely unfamiliar with the business model for cable news Facebook. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hurricanes should only have Hispanic female names and Germanic male names. 

No. You know what that got us already.

accordionplayer.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

if you do not read it as saying the storm will be exactly like Harvey, but instead read it as “do not discount a last-minute intensification into a cat one or two hurricane”, it has some value. There may be people looking at its disorganized self and saying Beryl will not be able to become a hurricane so I can ignore it.  This counters that.

This is what I thought.  

38 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Cajun, there are three things you need to do by Monday. Wash all your cars, pour some concrete, and bale some hay. Will raise your chances of rain to about 100%.

CHIEF

I know that's right!

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Some believe it was god again showing his hatred of Houston. 

That's because God had his catalytic converter wahoo'd there.  I get it.

• Haha 3

During the 11 a.m. emergency briefing by the National Weather Service, updates were given regarding the storm currently in the Gulf of Mexico. 

Reports state that the storm, currently Tropical Storm Beryl, is moving west-northwest at 12 mph. Tropical storm winds are expected to extend 125 miles from the center.

Currently, the storm is expected to make landfall as a category one hurricane at 1 p.m. on Monday somewhere between Corpus Christi and Matagorda Bay.

According to the brief, Calhoun County could  receive eight to 10 inches of rain. An elevated tornado threat has been issued. 

The Texas Department of Transportation stated concern for flooding south of State Highway 316. 

For the safety of first responders, there will be no emergency response when sustained wind reaches 40 miles per hour.

Officials recommend securing all structures, loose items, lawn decorations and signage, as well as items such as garbage cans.

The Port O’Connor fireworks show scheduled for tonight has been postponed until a later date to be announced.

The Bayfront Beats Summer Concert will be held as planned from 7 to 10 p.m. tonight at Bayfront Peninsula Park.

The next update will be at 5 p.m.

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Is this outer outer bands hitting hou ?

Nope, weak front from the north. No cooler or drier air, just rain and cloud cover 

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0946.jpeg

now I’m a little worried, is this end times ? No limits on briskets !!!!

“We currently don’t have any limits on product essentials. Across our business, we regularly prepare for extreme weather events,” an H-E-B spokesperson told MySA Friday morning. “To be a little clearer, we currently don’t have any weather-related limits in place.”

5 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Time to test out that camp stove and lantern.  Get rock salt for the coolers.  

Maybe we should have a separate thread for Hurricane Plan and Recovery?

Was thinking the same thing. Lots of talk about generators, but there is a lot of other shit that needs to be readied.

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

My storm prep goes up a notch after this Astros game 

all the bottled water in houston is already sold out.

(do people not know they can fill up their 50 gallon crawfish pot? just clean it out from sitting in the garage for the past years)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

all the bottled water in houston is already sold out.

(do people not know they can fill up their 50 gallon crawfish pot? just clean it out from sitting in the garage for the past years)

Filling the bathtub does 2 things.  First, it will stop the city sewer from backing up into the tub itself (provided the drain seals good).  Second, it gives ya' water to use for washing hands etc.  Of course, so much for taking a bath.  Suck it up and use a hose outside to rinse off the stank.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps some good news and some bad news regarding Beryl.

The good news it still remains a tropical storm with 60 mph winds. If it continues to move along and stay weak, the less time it will have over water to intensify. It is still forecast so far to be a cat 1 hurricane at landfall. The bad news is that the landfall time per the last advisory from the NHC is moved up to Sunday evening about 9pm, probably near Seadrift. This reduces our preparation time. So, today and most of Sunday the weather will cooperate, but Sunday night, things look to be going downhill weather wise.

Edited by tx 3 putt