2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

all the bottled water in houston is already sold out.

(do people not know they can fill up their 50 gallon crawfish pot? just clean it out from sitting in the garage for the past years)

costcos are out of water 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)

Everyone should have 1-2 boxes of USCG approved water pouches. They are 1 ounce pouches and good for oh shit moments. Last 5 years.

And a water Bob for the tub. I have one for both tubs, that is a lot of water.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Everyone should have 1-2 boxes of USCG approved water pouches. They are 1 ounce pouches and good for oh shit moments. Last 5 years.

And a water Bob for the tub. I have one for both tubs, that is a lot of water.

Both are on my to do list 

• Hook 'Em 2

Houston Public Works will temporarily lower Lake Houston by 12-inches in preparation for the upcoming rain event from Tropical Storm Beryl. Lowering will begin at 4 a.m. on Sunday, July 7, 2024. It takes 20 hours to lower Lake Houston by 12-inches. #khou11

2 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Never heard of a water Bob.  Pretty nifty.  Here's a link for the rest of the dumbasses.

waterBOB® - Emergency Drinking Water Storage | Keeps Water Fresh and Clean

Get one per bathroom. I keep one extra that I can fill up outside. One full they are pretty rigid.

If you do use them make sure to add a bit of bleach and clean the inside. But then bleach should be on a home emergency list anyways.

In the past have also set up a camping shower. Buckets for toilets, water bobs for drinking/cooking. USCG water for oh shit we gotta go. Rechargeable flashlights might be nice, but they suck when you cannot/do not charge them. Got a AAA cheapo in each room with an extra set of batteries taped to them. When you load up the initial batteries put one in upside down. These are back ups. Around the house we have some good ones for day to day use. A head lamp is also a good addition.

Food--- One of my favorites, but I like it, is tuna. The single serve packets are great energy after the storm and clean up starts. Last a long time. A propane grill if you have electric (like me) is critical. From boiling water to making a pot of beans or chili (never combined) can keep you living better than others.

A thread would be a cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not much new. Track keeps shifting oh so slightly E/NE - new dip in Jet stream far south will suck it up like a straw, should keep moving fast.. If it does and doesn't slow down in the Gulf (not likely), that'll be good.

Right now a lot of forces are fighing on it - on one hand warm water and open sea, good for restrengthening. On the other, dry air (from being over land, Beryl's now of course close to the large continental land mass with drier air, and some shear, which leads to continued disorganization.

NHC thinks though it'll ramp up somewhat quickly very near the TX coast. Still think a 90-100 mph Cat1/2. However if a fast mover as currently, that'll help reduce the damage. Once it gets about = latitude with Houston or just north, it'll zip away when the Jet grabs it, probably 20-30 mph. But yeah there's gonna be some flooding on the coast where flooding is common. But hopefully it'll zip away.

Austin, too early to tell, max a dousing of 4+ inches mostly central-east. Min nothing and you'll like it. Probably in the middle. Unfortunately little/no lake help

I'll check back in over next 2 days, if anyone has question or comment. )

(Sorry hit the wrong durn button 'afore posting, so I added some.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Both are on my to do list 

We keep 1 case per person. They do not take up a lot of room and we have a closet in a rarely used guest room where I keep shit like that.

Medical kits are also something people suck at preparing. Need one for day to day and one that no one touches. Think glass cuts, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Never heard of a water Bob.  Pretty nifty.  Here's a link for the rest of the dumbasses.

waterBOB® - Emergency Drinking Water Storage | Keeps Water Fresh and Clean

those are always a part of my emergency preparedness kit.  

I fill it up in the tub on the second floor in case we lose water.  Not so much for the portable water (I load every large cooking/gumbo/crawfish pot with water and keep them on my dining room table for cooking and drinking) - but because you can use gravity and a half gallon water in the bowl to work your second floor toilet - which prevents some very unpleasant circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Last few updates the track has stayed pretty constant for the center to go in between Rockport and Port O’Connor. That’s good news here because Port A is jam packed with tourists and none of them seem to be leaving. We have a rental in our condo leaving tomorrow and another rental coming in tomorrow for a week. Just talked to the management company and the people are still planning on coming tomorrow. Fucking idiots.

Wendy just told them to GTFO.

https://cityofportaransas.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/PRESS-RELEASE-TS-ADV-2-Beryl-CM-Parsons.pdf

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Am I missing something?  Looks like it’s heading Northeast of there, guess it floods bad around there.  Also POC canceled all that stuff they had planned later.  

IMG_6677.jpeg

Edited by Hook1997

45 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Filling the bathtub does 2 things.  First, it will stop the city sewer from backing up into the tub itself (provided the drain seals good).  Second, it gives ya' water to use for washing hands etc.  Of course, so much for taking a bath.  Suck it up and use a hose outside to rinse off the stank.

You get your hose water from a different source than your house?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Austin, too early to tell, max a dousing of 4+ inches mostly central-east. Min nothing and you'll like it. Probably in the middle. Unfortunately little/no lake help

Looks like lakes will get more help from this cool front/jet stream trying to dip down than Beryl 

IMG_1339.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Everyone should have a go bag with three days of rations and a firearm.

Many iterations of a super advanced computer simulation from my childhood taught me to load up on ammo, and skip the provisions.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Was thinking the same thing. Lots of talk about generators, but there is a lot of other shit that needs to be readied.

Yeah I’d like to know what generators I want to “borrow” from my neighbors if shit goes down.

Marvel Studios Smile GIF by Disney+

• Haha 2