2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you’re failing to consider something. Storm wise, sure. But keep in mind much of the central Houston lines are still basically temporary poles and duct taped together. In Timbergrove we still have goddamn cranes and orange grounders on half the damn lines. It won’t take much to blow this shit to pieces again. Most of the trees that could get ripped up were ripped, sure. But I don’t think it will take much for widespread power issues lasting days. That’s my big fear. The derecho was mostly 70 mph winds with upper gusts at 120 lasting 20 minutes. This thing hits at 75 for prolonged hour or two? The power system will fold like a metal chair. 

also fuck you for your bad shitty Helobious adjacent takes over the years you jinxing fuckball. 

You believe in jinxes? What are you, 10?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

You believe in jinxes? What are you, 10?

Your posting history speaks for itself. Whether it’s witchcraft or it’s a coincidence that people can set their watches by your wrongness, either way it defies rational explanation. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dude, the derecho was wayyy worse than this will get. This will be like a regular monday for houston. 

Im still doing elective endoscopy cases tomorrow starting at 730am

I was going to make a joke or tongue in cheek comment on this but it looks like I was 13 minutes too late and this post was already quoted like 4 times. I will say, my joke was going to be funny. A real shame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

It came down in sheets for over 2 hours here at Canyon Lake yesterday.  Monsoon type rains.  I had to putter the boat back to the marina and take refuge with everyone else out on the lake in the restaurant above it.

Woke up this morning to check and the lake level not only didn't come up any, it went fucking down.

FML

Image 7-7-24 at 9.23 AM.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any Galveston updates?

Our boat is trailered 20ft from the water. On the fence if need to drive down and move it. 

Depends. You have good insurance?  In the market for a new boat?

• Haha 4

Houston downtown got quite a bit of rain yesterday and the downtown bayou/drainage ways were pretty full. Flooding will be at least a concern even if rain and sharknados don’t become a problem. 

19 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any Galveston updates?

Our boat is trailered 20ft from the water. On the fence if need to drive down and move it. 

I’m on Tiki and water levels are still normal.  Tide will be going out all night with low tide at 3:30am (probably around landfall time) so that will help a bunch.  I’m good with 4 to 5 feet of surge but after that I’ll be worried about my boat.  If your on the West end I would be puckered up a little bit more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any Galveston updates?

You should definitely drive toward the hurricane and put one more car on the road for all the people who actually live in Galveston to deal with if they want to leave.

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Good luck to those of you in the path.  Be safe.

Meanwhile, those of us in extreme drought (or desert 🙄 ) will be lucky to get some high cloud cover. 

If you live west of San Antonio, you are in the desert southwest. May your sandstorm be brief.

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You should definitely drive toward the hurricane and put one more car on the road for all the people who actually live in Galveston to deal with if they want to leave.

Don't you mean a car and a boat?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not gonna get mad about missing the rain this time because of the completely unexpected dump we got yesterday. Ended up with 2 inches which is more than Beryl would've probably given even if it had hit Brownsville. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

It came down in sheets for over 2 hours here at Canyon Lake yesterday.  Monsoon type rains.  I had to putter the boat back to the marina and take refuge with everyone else out on the lake in the restaurant above it.

Woke up this morning to check and the lake level not only didn't come up any, it went fucking down.

FML

Image 7-7-24 at 9.23 AM.jpeg

Sometimes you have to give it a day or two as stream flows make it to the lake. Of course, if the rain fell mostly downstream of the lake it wouldn't have had that big of an impact. Also I know the ground is pretty dry out there; if it was a quick, intense burst there probably wasn't a ton of runoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dude, the derecho was wayyy worse than this will get. This will be like a regular monday for houston. 

I was not overly concerned for the Houston area until you posted this.

I had stopped following this a few days ago after I thought it’d dissipate. Is it projected to hit Houston hard? I know the coast will get slammed but it should weaken a bit by the time it gets to Houston correct? My stubborn dad lives in Katy area, wondering if it’s bad enough for me to tell him to gtfo. 

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I had stopped following this a few days ago after I thought it’d dissipate. Is it projected to hit Houston hard? I know the coast will get slammed but it should weaken a bit by the time it gets to Houston correct? My stubborn dad lives in Katy area, wondering if it’s bad enough for me to tell him to gtfo. 

Katy is likely to get the dirty side of the storm. If his area of Katy doesn’t have a ton of trees obviously fine 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Still sort of TBD but the current track has Houston to the east side of the storm (stronger side). Depends on the specific hazards of his property - trees or other large items that could cause damage in winds, flooding, etc. Honestly the main concern is prolonged power outages in the aftermath. Could see hurricane force winds doing some work on power lines.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Still sort of TBD but the current track has Houston to the east side of the storm (stronger side). Depends on the specific hazards of his property - trees or other large items that could cause damage in winds, flooding, etc. Honestly the main concern is prolonged power outages in the aftermath. Could see hurricane force winds doing some work on power lines.

Space city is projecting 55mph winds. Itll be fine

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

if it was a quick, intense burst there probably wasn't a ton of runoff.

It was this.

In order for Canyon Lake to really catch water it has to rain big time in Kerrville, Comfort, Sisterdale.

It all starts around the Hunt, TX locale.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Space city is projecting 55mph winds. Itll be fine

You did not specify, but 55 mph sustained is going to be 60 to 70 gusts.   

My New Orleans neighborhood lost more trees in a very wet, slow moving tropical storm (when the ground became saturated to the point trees could topple  easier) than it ever did in several cat three hurricanes.

You are probably right, but never say never in advance.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Pre storm rain just hit the heights. 

It’s only supposed to last an hour, but tbh this won’t help the flooding. 

We just lost power for a few seconds as well. Sigh. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Pre storm rain just hit the heights. 

Yep. Got poured on at Cucharita, took a break and then could barely see headed home going down 20th

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

no power for 4 days sucked 

I’ll go to the golf shop and play golf tomorrow. Play tues and head back 

Some dude on a YouTube live feed is saying it'll turn drastically east make landfall in west Louisiana as a cat 3 all within next 12 hours. And people wonder why there is no trust in meteorologist

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Jshep34 said:

Some dude on a YouTube live feed is saying it'll turn drastically east make landfall in west Louisiana as a cat 3 all within next 12 hours. And people wonder why there is no trust in meteorologist

Because they listen to random dudes on the internet?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2